Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds Mark III Viewfinder With Glasses  (Read 4640 times)

tyarkoff

Canon 1Ds Mark III Viewfinder With Glasses
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:23 am »

This is cross post from Camera, Lenses and Shooting Gear. I received no responses so I thought perhaps, more 1 series shooters would read here.

Hi Forum,

I recently rented a Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds Mark III in order to inform my decision on my next camera purchase. At least for this eyeglass wearer the Nikon viewfinder magnification and eye relief (or eye point) made seeing the entire viewfinder image and electronic display extremely easy. The Canon finder while big and bright has a combination of magnification and eye relief that makes it impossible (for me) to see the entire viewfinder image and electronic display with a single glance. By no means is the Canon unusable, just not my ideal. There are of course other issues to consider when deciding between these cameras but for the purposes of this post I'll forgo diving into that for the moment.

My question is: Who else has had this issue with a Canon 1DS Mark III or any camera really. What did you do to make the finder a more hospitable environment for an eyeglass wearer? Special eyepiece? Adapter? Just lived with it?

If I could sit at a table with Canon and Nikon engineers I'd ask that they make a viewfinder with a an adjustment so that eye relief and or magnification could be adjusted to some degree to accommodate a wider range of human interface.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:13:09 pm »

Better finders always welcome.

Edmund

Quote from: Ty Arkoff
This is cross post from Camera, Lenses and Shooting Gear. I received no responses so I thought perhaps, more 1 series shooters would read here.

Hi Forum,

I recently rented a Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds Mark III in order to inform my decision on my next camera purchase. At least for this eyeglass wearer the Nikon viewfinder magnification and eye relief (or eye point) made seeing the entire viewfinder image and electronic display extremely easy. The Canon finder while big and bright has a combination of magnification and eye relief that makes it impossible (for me) to see the entire viewfinder image and electronic display with a single glance. By no means is the Canon unusable, just not my ideal. There are of course other issues to consider when deciding between these cameras but for the purposes of this post I'll forgo diving into that for the moment.

My question is: Who else has had this issue with a Canon 1DS Mark III or any camera really. What did you do to make the finder a more hospitable environment for an eyeglass wearer? Special eyepiece? Adapter? Just lived with it?

If I could sit at a table with Canon and Nikon engineers I'd ask that they make a viewfinder with a an adjustment so that eye relief and or magnification could be adjusted to some degree to accommodate a wider range of human interface.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

daws

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:51:33 pm »

Quote from: Ty Arkoff
What did you do to make the finder a more hospitable environment for an eyeglass wearer? Special eyepiece?

For the 5D and 5DII, I use viewfinder diopters that correct the vision in my "shooting eye," and an around-the-neck strap for my eyeglasses. I pop off the glasses when shooting. The benefits are a big viewfinder image, no light leaks, and (most importantly for me) no scratches and scuffs on my eyeglass lenses.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:55:32 pm by daws »

tyarkoff

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »

Quote from: daws
For the 5D and 5DII, I use viewfinder diopters that correct the vision in my "shooting eye," and an around-the-neck strap for my eyeglasses. I pop off the glasses when shooting. The benefits are a big viewfinder image, no light leaks, and (most importantly for me) no scratches and scuffs on my eyeglass lenses.

Hi daws,

I wish I had a simple prescription and a viewfinder diopter would do it. Unfortunately I have astigmatism in addition to myopia. This does make me wonder if a custom viewfinder eyepiece could be made. Anybody have one made?

canlogic

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:56 pm »

I wear glasses and do not have any problem with my 1DS3.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,
Pages: [1]   Go Up