Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds Mark III Viewfinder With Glasses  (Read 2003 times)

tyarkoff

Canon 1Ds Mark III Viewfinder With Glasses
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:16:04 pm »

Hi Forum,

I recently rented a Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds Mark III in order to inform my decision on my next camera purchase. At least for this eyeglass wearer the Nikon viewfinder magnification and eye relief (or eye point) made seeing the entire viewfinder image and electronic display extremely easy. The Canon finder while big and bright has a combination of magnification and eye relief that makes it impossible (for me) to see the entire viewfinder image and electronic display with a single glance. By no means is the Canon unusable, just not my ideal. There are of course other issues to consider when deciding between these cameras but for the purposes of this post I'll forgo diving into that for the moment.

My question is: Who else has had this issue with a Canon 1DS Mark III or any camera really. What did you do to make the finder a more hospitable environment for an eyeglass wearer? Special eyepiece? Adapter? Just lived with it?

If I could sit at a table with Canon and Nikon engineers I'd ask that they make a viewfinder with a an adjustment so that eye relief and or magnification could be adjusted to some degree to accommodate a wider range of human interface.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:17:11 pm by Ty Arkoff »

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Canon 1Ds Mark III Viewfinder With Glasses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:58 pm »

Quote from: Ty Arkoff
Hi Forum,

I recently rented a Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds Mark III in order to inform my decision on my next camera purchase. At least for this eyeglass wearer the Nikon viewfinder magnification and eye relief (or eye point) made seeing the entire viewfinder image and electronic display extremely easy. The Canon finder while big and bright has a combination of magnification and eye relief that makes it impossible (for me) to see the entire viewfinder image and electronic display with a single glance. By no means is the Canon unusable, just not my ideal. There are of course other issues to consider when deciding between these cameras but for the purposes of this post I'll forgo diving into that for the moment.

My question is: Who else has had this issue with a Canon 1DS Mark III or any camera really. What did you do to make the finder a more hospitable environment for an eyeglass wearer? Special eyepiece? Adapter? Just lived with it?

If I could sit at a table with Canon and Nikon engineers I'd ask that they make a viewfinder with a an adjustment so that eye relief and or magnification could be adjusted to some degree to accommodate a wider range of human interface.

Thirty four years ago I started having problems with my eyes. My night vision was not as acute as it had been, fine print was starting to look fuzzy, and I noticed that I needed to wear sunglasses a lot. A friend recommend a Bates teacher.  Bates developed a series of strategies to relax the large muscles of the eye. They included placing the palms over the eyes to relax them, blinking a lot, breathing, and scanning instead of staring.

The exercises apparently worked, as I threw away my sunglasses, my night vision came back, fine print popped into focus, and I haven't ever needed glasses.

Since we use our eyes so much, I think all photographers would benefit from the Bates exercises. You can buy a book on them, or work with a teacher. They are very relaxing, and you may well be able to toss your glasses into the wastebin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up