Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Walk Across England  (Read 10429 times)

Ray

A Walk Across England
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 02:43:12 am »

You've got two posts going on this subject, Steph1. Shall I copy and paste my reply to this thread also? Okay!

As an Englishman who emigrated to Australia many years ago, your photos bring back memories of my youthful days in the old country. Everything was usually green and gray. I think on average it rains 2 days out of 3 in the U.K. I used to cycle a lot in those days and the unpredictable weather was not welcome. It is sometimes said that the ancient Romans never fully conquered England because the weather was so lousy. It didn't seem worth the trouble.  

However, I like your compositions. The grays match the greens, and the occasional patches of blue almost spoil the effect.  

It could be I'm a mild sufferer of SAD syndrome; Seasonal Affective Disorder, whereby long periods of grey sky tend to cause a slight depression. I've often wondered about that, because my spirits are definitely lifted when the sun shines.

Steph1

A Walk Across England
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:22 pm »

Quote from: jeremyrh
Fantastic. Sitting here in totally flat Holland I am now feeling very homesick. Can you share the route you took?

Sure, Jeremy

St Bees to Ennerdale Bridge; up Ennerdale and over Honister into Borrowdale at Rosthwaite; up and over into Patterdale;Shap;Kirby Stephen;up and over into Swaledale and down to Richmond;across to the N York Moors; Glaisdale;Grosmont and then a last dash to Robin Hood's Bay.
If you look at google earth, you can download the route and see it.

Steph1

A Walk Across England
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:32 pm »

Quote from: stevebri
What a great ad for life itself... fantastic trip and wonderful images.  I spent 12 yrs as a child in the east riding of Yorkshire, very beautiful indeed...

Thanks for sharing and for inspiring.

S

I'ma Lancastrian myself, but I won't hold it against you, Steve.

How do you make a Yorkshire omelette? Fist nick three eggs...............
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up