Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya  (Read 29979 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 05:53:37 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
http://www.mamiya.co.jp/img/20090326/645df.jpg

Looks like they added more battery power

Thanks that looks like the AFDIII body with the new battery grip.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

sdai

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 08:42:34 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
http://www.mamiya.co.jp/img/20090326/645df.jpg

Looks like they added more battery power

If Phase/Mamiya could do an all-in-one DSLR in a form factor of the original ZD, then the S2 is dead in the water. Great times for photographers ... as Michael says.

I've got all the Mamiya lenses except the "Sekor D"s under Phase label so not much expectations there.

Best to all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:42:52 am by sdai »

hubell

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 09:12:29 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Howard, regardless of the term not being in the release, I can assure you, we are very much in control. I don't know all the secrets of Phase One, but um, it is my company and I think I know what I am talking about (at least on this occasion).  

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve, we can resolve this easily. Please  fax me a copy of the Phase/Mamiya stock purchase agreement and we can go over it together.
Joking aside, I do hope that Phase has full legal control. With a minority investment, the arrangement would likely be a prescription for disaster. And please, deliver a real, new-from-the-ground-up Phase camera, not a warmed over AFD.

BJNY

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

Steve H,
Is the 645DF necessary for use with the leaf shutter lens ?
Guillermo

sdai

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:37 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Steve H,

I've not Steve but the Japanese press release does say the LS lens is for dedicated use with the 645DF.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:04 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Steve H,

I don't have any information yet about that. The shutter would be in the lens, and the shutter at the body stage would be disabled when using it (theoretically, I'm not that technical). So something would need to happen with the body to allow this. Whether this is something that would require a modification of some sort or if it is even possible is unknown to me. I'll try to sort out more and get back to you.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

bcooter

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »

I don't have any information yet about that.
Steve Hendrix
Phase One

I'd hate to be in the medium format camera buying mood right now, because honestly I wouldn't know what to invest in.  Now buying cameras isn't something I would have previously called an investment, but today with medium format used prices dropping like 2 year old Hummer's and deals being announced every 5 days, I would want some kind of assurance that whatever brand I bought into would be viable in the next few years (or further).

The press releases we read lately about medium format, from calumet's link to Hasselblad, F+H's insolvency issues and Leaf's determination to keep the brand running, Phase's takeover, uh investment, uh majority share, uh close cooperation with Mamiya, have the directness of a PR release written by Citibank.

With all respect to Mr. Hendrix, since he is with Phase One, I guess he knows the real story about who owns what though I would think the "real" story would be when the LS lenses will appear, do they require the new body,  when will the new body appear, oh yea, and for how much?

For the reps that seem to take exception to questions about the wording of these press releases, understand that we as "buyers" didn't write them, we just read what is available and try to make an educated guess about what they mean and let's be real honest about this, medium format information is somewhat clouded in mystery (at best).

It wasn't but a few months ago at Photokina, that Leica and Phase were slow dancing with each other talking about another form of shared alliances with software and lenses  though now we're told uh-uh, nope, never happened, Leica is going their own way and will dance solo.

It was also during the same Photokina that Sinar and Leaf we're going to sell Sinar branded Apti but that's gone silent, so who knows what any of this means?

Now the one press release that got my attention was Calumet saying they're going Hasselblad only.  Actually, even that was not direct, as they mentioned they are going Hasselblad instead of Leaf, though up till a few hours I thought they also sold Phase, Leaf, Mamiya, Sinar.  Even the Calumet website shows a megazvision, so what does that mean and what's the point of a retailer  announcing they are going to sell "less" product?

I'm somewhat amazed by Calumet's announcement because what's to be gained by limiting options to the buyer.  It's not like Calumet stocks that much in a store anyway, because everytime I go in there they say they have to order it.  How much investment do they have in stock because it seems the only investment is updating their website with  a .png file of a phase or Leaf back mounted on a Hasselblad H series with a high retail price point.

Even with all this electronic paper, the real world truth is most medium format professional images are shot with a Hasselblad H1 or H2 with all sorts of digital backs, and though Phase and Hasselblad seem to be both trying to rid the world these older cameras through promotions, they still exist and are still being used daily.

Maybe all of this stuff is good news but it smacks of turf wars between the bloods and the crips (medium format), fighting over three blocks of Vermont St. while 6 blocks away Turner Construction (Canon/Nikon)  is building a 45 story complex.

Now the funny thing is yesterday I'm in an office waiting to go into a meeting and I pick up some magazine like House Wonderful and there is an Ad showing Nadav Kander endorsing a Samsung Point and Shoot.  

I thought, now that's cool, all I need is $500 and a google map to Sam's club  and Nadav and I will be blood brothers.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Miss bcooter has wisdom beyond her years.

Indeed!  All that insight and only 4 years old.

Impressive, young Jedi.

-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »

Quote from: bradleygibson
Indeed!  All that insight and only 4 years old.

Impressive, young Jedi.

-Brad

Perhaps Cooter is a great centre of learning?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:05:42 pm by Ionaca »
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

mcfoto

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »

(It wasn't but a few months ago at Photokina, that Leica and Phase were slow dancing with each other talking about another form of shared alliances with software and lenses  though now we're told uh-uh, nope, never happened, Leica is going their own way and will dance solo.)

I must be out of the loop but when did this happen?
Thanks Denis

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Carsten W

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 04:29:39 pm »

...the Japanese press release does say the LS lens is for dedicated use with the 645DF.

Now this throws me for a loop. Every Phamiya owner I have heard talk about the LS lenses has spoken as if they will buy one or two when released, mount them to their (existing) camera, and start shooting with fill flash in the sunshine.

How many existing Phamiya owners knew they would (might) need a new body for this?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:40:46 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 06:41:24 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Now this throws me for a loop. Every Phamiya owner I have heard talk about the LS lenses has spoken as if they will buy one or two when released, mount them to their (existing) camera, and start shooting with fill flash in the sunshine.

How many existing Phamiya owners knew they would (might) need a new body for this?

I did

i think upgrade from phamiya camera to the new one with the leaf shutter will be around 1000 euros which is less what a leaf shutter lens from Hasselblad costs

ziocan

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 09:52:55 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
If you look at the 645DF camera, all it shows is an AFDIII camera with a plastic mockup grip (grip is without real buttons or dials).
I was wondering if anybody noticed that before.

mcfoto

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 10:29:12 pm »

New camera  from Mamiya, vertical grip & 80 LS lens specs.
http://translate.google.com.au/translate?h...cial%26hs%3DeWM

This link will take you to the translated page of the Japanese photo show. Go down to the Mamiya photos & click above to get the specs of the new Mamiya stuff.

From what I read the camera is the Mamiya 645DF ( digital only, open system) weight 1030g without batteries
GB 401 grip is for the 645DF 400 g with batteries ability for radio control to external flash
80 mm 2.8 LS D lens 450g, flash sync 1/500 max

Denis
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:57:22 pm by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

arashm

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 12:03:24 am »

Quote from: Jozef Zajaz
I did

i think upgrade from phamiya camera to the new one with the leaf shutter will be around 1000 euros which is less what a leaf shutter lens from Hasselblad costs

The leaf shutter is not in the camera, it's in each individual lens. SO you will have to pay close to Hassy lens prices per mamiya lens anyways.....
But I seem to recall that the AFD III was Leaf Shutter compatible/ready.
Please correct me if you know for sure.
am

shelby_lewis

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 12:08:37 am »

From CI's blog a few moths back... and still posted there:

These lenses will make the Phase One 645 AF the first system in the medium format digital world to use a dual shutter system. This will give photographers ultra-fast shutter speeds (up to 1/4000th) when shooting available light, and a fast flash sync speed of 1/800th when shooting with strobes.

Not an indictment (at all!) on those guys... but just an example of how one could easily read into this that the phamiya cam will be compatible with the new LS lenses. It may  be, but it would seem as though only after modification.

We'll see...

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:41 am »

I knew it too.

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:28 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
I knew it too.

Here is a little more detail on a few topics -

First, I will have to say, as Michael indicated, it is unknown what the actual investment amounted to and whether that resulted in a controlling interest stake. And I say this primarily for Howard's benefit .  

But regardless of that aspect, the investment was substantial, and the result is that the rudder for Mamiya R & D, pricing, distribution, marketing, etc is now being steered by Phase One. We obviously have had R & D input for some time, but this raises the stake much higher than input, and control of distribution, marketing, etc, puts us in a very "driving the bus" position.

Regarding the Leaf Shutter lenses, we have promoted the Phase One Camera (AFD-III) as Leaf Shutter ready. This means no cables or special adapters are required. It may be possible that a firmware update is necessary. But if you're on the fence and wondering if you should go forward on a P1 Camera system right now because of compatibility concerns, the P1 camera (AFD-III) is compatible with those lenses.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

BJNY

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:47 am »

I wonder if Hasselblad would open back up their H platform

as a reaction to this announcement, and to the challenge from Leica S2?

It certainly would make for continuing interesting times in the medium format world.
Guillermo

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:47 am »

Here is a little more detail on a few topics -

First, I will have to say, as Michael indicated, it is unknown what the actual investment amounted to and whether that resulted in a controlling interest stake. And I say this primarily for Howard's benefit .  

But regardless of that aspect, the investment was substantial, and the result is that the rudder for Mamiya R & D, pricing, distribution, marketing, etc is now being steered by Phase One. We obviously have had R & D input for some time, but this raises the stake much higher than input, and control of distribution, marketing, etc, puts us in a very "driving the bus" position.

Regarding the Leaf Shutter lenses, we have promoted the Phase One Camera (AFD-III) as Leaf Shutter ready. This means no cables or special adapters are required. It may be possible that a firmware update is necessary. But if you're on the fence and wondering if you should go forward on a P1 Camera system right now because of compatibility concerns, the P1 camera (AFD-III) is compatible with those lenses.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

I would still like to see a new body that is more ala DSLR style with better ergonomics and some additional features. But that wish list is a separate thread. More than anything here and maybe what has been glossed over a little is Phase is moving forward in some really tough times and more importantly a company for current users that will survive and we can grow our systems. People tend not to look forward a few years from now as our bodies start to age we need replacements and without taking a complete bath on a new purchase we still have our lenses and accessories and avoid the I have go out and replace the whole system with another brand scenario. It is very costly switching systems, trust me I know this all to well. I wish Phase a lot of luck and i have a good feeling they will be pushing a lot of new products through the door soon.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up