Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya  (Read 20992 times)

Doug Peterson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3323
    • http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »

Today Phase One is announcing that they have have a controlling interest in Mamiya.

Read More

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:46:22 PM by dougpetersonci »
Logged
DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ

mcfoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 940
    • http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Today Phase One is announcing that they have have a controlling interest in Mamiya.

Read More

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Will this speed up product development? I think it is great news. Will the MAC group continue to be the agent for Mamiya in the US? I have more questions but time will tell on this move.
Thanks Denis
Logged
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com

hubell

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 736
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Today Phase One is announcing that they have have a controlling interest in Mamiya.

Read More

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Doug, you may know more, but read the fine print in the Press Release. Phase has become a "major shareholder", not the majority or controlling shareholder.
Without knowing the size of Phase's financial investment and the background to the investment, it's hard to evaluate the significance. For all we know, Mamiya was about to go the way of F&H and Phase is stepping in to keep it afloat. Since the parties have chosen to disclose so little, I would take all the conjecture with a major grain of salt.
Logged

feppe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2896
  • Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »

Quote from: hcubell
Doug, you may know more, but read the fine print in the Press Release. Phase has become a "major shareholder", not the majority or controlling shareholder.
Without knowing the size of Phase's financial investment and the background to the investment, it's hard to evaluate the significance. For all we know, Mamiya was about to go the way of F&H and Phase is stepping in to keep it afloat. Since the parties have chosen to disclose so little, I would take all the conjecture with a major grain of salt.

The exact nature of the financials is indeed ambiguous: Mr Peterson explicitly mentions Phase One is now a "controlling shareholder," while the press release states "major shareholder" - there's a fundamental difference in the meanings and it would be good if Mr Peterson or someone from Phase One would clarify this.

In any case, it means that Phase One / Mamiya are now almost fully vertically integrated camera manufacturer, ie. they make the hardware and software for medium format cameras. I believe they don't make chips, which is the only part they still have to procure outside. This should create synergies and other buzz words which make executives giddy and M&A bankers rich - remains to be seen how consumers benefit.

Hopefully in the products; from the press release:

“And as a result of our close collaboration,” Mr. Midorikawa said, “new products are just around the corner. We plan to introduce both new leaf shutter lenses and even more super lightweight focal plane shutter lenses in 2009.  We aim to offer the world’s widest range of medium format lenses for Mamiya and Phase One camera platforms.”

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1270
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

Quote from: hcubell
Doug, you may know more, but read the fine print in the Press Release. Phase has become a "major shareholder", not the majority or controlling shareholder.
Without knowing the size of Phase's financial investment and the background to the investment, it's hard to evaluate the significance. For all we know, Mamiya was about to go the way of F&H and Phase is stepping in to keep it afloat. Since the parties have chosen to disclose so little, I would take all the conjecture with a major grain of salt.


Howard, despite the lack of details, controlling stake could be taken as a literal phrase.

And I would say that Mamiya has not been healthier in years. Phase One and Mamiya had clearly been collaborating in terms of development for some time and the result has been dramatic increases in the sale of bodies and lenses. This was potentially inevitable for some time now. As events in our industry have shaken out over the past 12 - 24 months it makes total sense from our standpoint.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Logged
Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475

hubell

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 736
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Howard, despite the lack of details, controlling stake could be taken as a literal phrase.

And I would say that Mamiya has not been healthier in years. Phase One and Mamiya had clearly been collaborating in terms of development for some time and the result has been dramatic increases in the sale of bodies and lenses. This was potentially inevitable for some time now. As events in our industry have shaken out over the past 12 - 24 months it makes total sense from our standpoint.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve, no one has used the actual term "controlling" in any of the public releases, so it was apparently not a part of the deal. That's unfortunate. It would be best if Phase bought 100% of Mamiya. Eventually it will happen, as it makes so much sense for these two companies to merge. The camera side of the business needs the profits of the digital side in order to innovate. I would love to see Phase/Mamiya develop a new, world class camera platform(NOT a Mamiya AFDIII.5). If it's a closed system, I would consider buying one!!!
I wonder where this leaves Mamiya's relationship with MAC in the US. The press release talks about Mamiya selling rebranded Phase backs, and it would be weird for MAC to still be selling Leaf stuff.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:56:07 PM by hcubell »
Logged

Leonardo Barreto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 379
    • http://leonardobarreto.com/
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »

Probably Phase will go after Hasselblad before Leaf since they have no relationship with them and because the may feel that they could grab some market share from photographers that have Phase backs on H1, H2 systems and are thinking to upgrade.

Leaf may also slow down since they spend all that effort on the AFi project. It all depends on the market share magnetism of the AFi project, but all the talk about insolvency is not helping, but Leaf needs the AFi more than ever since Phase will integrate the AFD system to their back. Probably there should be a ZD body with Phase know how, -- but the ZD is for Mamiya as The Newton was for Apple --.

What I would like to see is a digital MF rangefinder like the Mamiya 7 with much smaller lenses...

Other items in the wish list:

80mm f: 1.8 af
110mm f: 2 af Macro

Mamiya Flexbody that would accept RZ and RB lenses. (this could be so easy to do)




Logged
The important thing is not to stop questioning---Albert Einstein.
My Webpage/LeonardoBarreto.com
Leonardo Barreto alamy

mcfoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 940
    • http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »

The MAC group has come up with two very well priced kits using the Mamiya platform ( DL28 & DL33 ) with Leaf backs attached to the ADFIII. This is a win win situation for both Mamiya/Phase & Leaf & is in the keeping of the open platform. Phase could revisit the ZD camera since it has already been built & takes all the lenses that the AFD camera uses. Put the 39 MP chip or a newer generation chip in the 36x48 mm size & offer it at a good price?
Denis





Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Probably Phase will go after Hasselblad before Leaf since they have no relationship with them and because the may feel that they could grab some market share from photographers that have Phase backs on H1, H2 systems and are thinking to upgrade.

Leaf may also slow down since they spend all that effort on the AFi project. It all depends on the market share magnetism of the AFi project, but all the talk about insolvency is not helping, but Leaf needs the AFi more than ever since Phase will integrate the AFD system to their back. Probably there should be a ZD body with Phase know how, -- but the ZD is for Mamiya as The Newton was for Apple --.

What I would like to see is a digital MF rangefinder like the Mamiya 7 with much smaller lenses...

Other items in the wish list:

80mm f: 1.8 af
110mm f: 2 af Macro

Mamiya Flexbody that would accept RZ and RB lenses. (this could be so easy to do)
Logged
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com

Henry Goh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »

I would speculate slightly differently:

P1 will now be more motivated to help Mamiya re-develop the ZD camera.  Could be a nice option for those who want a lightweight MF camera for travel photography.  I can see one in my future.
Logged

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Probably there should be a ZD body with Phase know how,  

What I would like to see is a digital MF rangefinder like the Mamiya 7 with much smaller lenses...

Other items in the wish list:

80mm f: 1.8 af
110mm f: 2 af Macro

Mamiya Flexbody that would accept RZ and RB lenses. (this could be so easy to do)

All good ideas.

The ZD started its life around $12K with an expensive (back then) 22mpx Dalsa sensor.
An updated ZD with the recently announced 48mpx Dalsa sensor would be great as a competitor to the Leica S2.
Logged
Guillermo

mcfoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 940
    • http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »

Quote from: BJNY
All good ideas.

The ZD started its life around $12K with an expensive (back then) 22mpx Dalsa sensor.
An updated ZD with the recently announced 48mpx Dalsa sensor would be great as a competitor to the Leica S2.

It would have to be priced to be competitive with the DSLR market as it could be a unique product. I had the ZD camera until last Dec when I sold it. I really enjoyed the time I had with it but times move on & this camera needs a big update on the digital side. The current ZD camera is a 2004 design. Also would Phase be interested in putting R&D into the ZD body?
Denis
Logged
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com

HarperPhotos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1310
    • http://www.harperphoto.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »

Gidday,

I was told today that Mamiya is bringing out a new camera called the Mamiya 645 DF body.

It is digital only, open platform and compatible with the new Mamiya leaf shutter lenses and Hasselblad lenses with adaptor.

It is going to be unveiled at the Photo Imaging Expo in Tokyo.
 
Cheers

Simon
Logged
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Henry Goh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »

Quote from: HarperPhotos
Gidday,

I was told today that Mamiya is bringing out a new camera called the Mamiya 645 DF body.

It is digital only, open platform and compatible with the new Mamiya leaf shutter lenses and Hasselblad lenses with adaptor.

It is going to be unveiled at the Photo Imaging Expo in Tokyo.
 
Cheers

Simon

That would be starting today and ending on the 29th.  Should have some pictures on Japanese sites tonight I guess.
Logged

Doug Peterson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3323
    • http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »

Quote from: mcfoto
Will this speed up product development? I think it is great news.
Thanks Denis

Ask again in a couple of months.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
Logged
DOUG PETERSON (dep@digitaltransitions.com), Digital Transitions
Dealer for Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Profoto
Office: 877.367.8537
Cell: 740.707.2183
Phase One IQ250 FAQ

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »

Quote from: HarperPhotos
Gidday,

I was told today that Mamiya is bringing out a new camera called the Mamiya 645 DF body.

It is digital only, open platform and compatible with the new Mamiya leaf shutter lenses and Hasselblad lenses with adaptor.

It is going to be unveiled at the Photo Imaging Expo in Tokyo.
 
Cheers

Simon

Thanks,
the 645DF with vertical grip and leaf shutter 80mm lens is already at www.mamiya.co.jp
Logged
Guillermo

Steve Hendrix

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1270
    • http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »

Quote from: hcubell
Steve, no one has used the actual term "controlling" in any of the public releases, so it was apparently not a part of the deal. That's unfortunate. It would be best if Phase bought 100% of Mamiya. Eventually it will happen, as it makes so much sense for these two companies to merge. The camera side of the business needs the profits of the digital side in order to innovate. I would love to see Phase/Mamiya develop a new, world class camera platform(NOT a Mamiya AFDIII.5). If it's a closed system, I would consider buying one!!!
I wonder where this leaves Mamiya's relationship with MAC in the US. The press release talks about Mamiya selling rebranded Phase backs, and it would be weird for MAC to still be selling Leaf stuff.


Howard, regardless of the term not being in the release, I can assure you, we are very much in control. I don't know all the secrets of Phase One, but um, it is my company and I think I know what I am talking about (at least on this occasion).  

Many changes and developments will evolve from this announcement. It is encouraging to me as an employee to see that the company I work for has the resources to make an investment of this type, especially considering the global economy. We may not be backed by some huge corporation but in many ways we are the little engine that could.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Logged
Steve Hendrix
Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
MFDB: Phase One/Leaf-Mamiya/Hasselblad/Leica/Sinar
TechCam: Alpa/Cambo/Arca Swiss/Sinar
Direct: 404.543.8475

Smallcooter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • http://
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »

Quote from: BJNY
Thanks,
the 645DF with vertical grip and leaf shutter 80mm lens is already at www.mamiya.co.jp

An LSD lens? What a trip!
Logged

mcfoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 940
    • http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »

Quote from: BJNY
Thanks,
the 645DF with vertical grip and leaf shutter 80mm lens is already at www.mamiya.co.jp

I looked at there site & can't find anything. I sure hope Phase improves the Japan website, it is not good.
Denis
Logged
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com

Henry Goh

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:44 AM »

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/img/20090326/645df.jpg

Looks like they added more battery power
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:07:30 AM by Henry Goh »
Logged

paul_jones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
    • http://www.paulrossjones.com
Phase One Takes Controlling Interest of Mamiya
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »

Quote from: BJNY
Thanks,
the 645DF with vertical grip and leaf shutter 80mm lens is already at www.mamiya.co.jp

know, thats looking more like a serious camera.

if they will only add a removable finder and dedicated AF button (that doesnt get over-rided by the front), then they have almost caught up with the contax!

also, i just read on the site that the leaf shutter lens is only running up to 500th sec. i thought they would be releasing a lens with 800th or higher.

paul
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:11:35 AM by paul_jones »
Logged
check my new website
http://www.paulrossjones.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up