Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD3-39 / Phocus questions  (Read 3123 times)

photolinia

HD3-39 / Phocus questions
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:43 pm »

Hello everyone!

I'm taking an HD3-39 for a "test drive" this weekend.  I understand that it comes with Phocus software.
Since I have never prefiously used either one, and since I'm planning to do a lot of studio/outdoor shooting
I have a number of questions.

1 - I've heard some horror stories about general Hass reliability.  Since I'm picking up a model that has been used
and possibly abused - what should I check for in the store to make sure I'm picking it up in good condition?
I also want to avoid being charged for damage I did not cause...

2 - I've also heard that not all CF card are accepted.  I have some 8G and 16G Extreme 3 and 4 cards - should they work ok?

3 - Since the file size is going to be much larger than what I'm used to, are there much higher computer hardware requirements?
I've been using mostly lightroom / CS3

4 - Can phocus output files into CS3 similar to how lightroom does it?

5 - my experience is mostly with Nikon DSLR systems, what major differences in the process/work flow should I look out for?

Thanks a lot!!
-ilya

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »

I cannot answer all your questions (I use H2F with CF). You should take enough batteries (charged naturally) with you when you go out of the studio. I have mostly good experiences and Hasselblad is as reliable as the other brand I used extensively (Leaf).  I have had 2 repairs in the last year (after years of heavy usage without any problem). A broken mirror drive and a broken DSP, both were just plain bad luck and could not have been foreseen. If there is something that I find vulnerable on my CF it is the firewire port chassis.

You can check how many actuations the back has had and how many body & the lens (menu 4 something). You should have a look there.

I use 8GB Extreme III & IV. You should not have a problem with your 8 &16GB Extreme III's.

In the studio I personally would opt for shooting tethered into a computer. Make sure you have at least 2 FW cables (800 for the back & whatever FW port you have on your computer). For using Phocus you might want to check the hardware requirements but I would say the fastest you have with a fast video card. I personally like Flexcolor as well but I seem to be a rare species in that.

Files shot tethered are larger than shot on CF. On CF you will have a compressed .3FR file of about 40MB, tethered you will get a .FFF file which is appr. 80MB large.

Phocus can convert your files to various formats, naturally you can work on those in PS from that point. I process to a fairly flat accurate Tiff file in Phocus/Flexcolor and do my main work in Photoshop. Others take the file further in Phocus. It is up to you to decide what best suits your needs.

I use Nikon as well. The difference is that the Hasselblad is much nicer and responsive tethered (besides all the obvious differences; they are both fruit but one an orange and the other an apple). The step of Phocus or Flexcolor in between you do need to get used to. After converting the raw file it is 'basically business as usual'. With the latest version of Phocus you can 'preset'  your session and have it export immediately to JPG/Tiff/etc.. This can be handy in studio situations where you have complete control.

A test drive for a weekend is just having a sniff, for really fine-tuning working with this you do need more time. I hope this was of help and you will enjoy your test drive.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:19:11 pm by Dustbak »

photolinia

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:33:12 pm »

Thank you!

I know a weekend is not realy enough to get fully comfortable with a new system, but hopefully I'll get a
pretty good idea of that it's like and be able to decide if it's worth all the $$ for me...

BTW, is there a place online where I could find a pdf H3D user manual?  

-ilya

Nick-T

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:02 pm »

Quote from: photolinia
BTW, is there a place online where I could find a pdf H3D user manual?  

-ilya

Yes:
http://hasselblad.com/service--support/tec...rt/manuals.aspx

You'll need to register.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

photolinia

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
Yes:
http://hasselblad.com/service--support/tec...rt/manuals.aspx

You'll need to register.

Nick-T

thanks!
I did.  Unfortunately you must be an equipment owner to download a manual...

these are the kinds of things that work to turn off a potential buyer...

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:57:26 pm »

thanks!
I did.  Unfortunately you must be an equipment owner to download a manual...

these are the kinds of things that work to turn off a potential buyer...
I'm sure David Grover could help you with this.

I use the H3DII39, very similar to the H3D39 you're considering and I'd be concerned if the prior owner banged it or damaged it in some way that is not outwardly obvious. You definitely need to give it a good test drive.

I use the Extreme IV 8gb CF cards and don't have any problems. These match the size of 8gb DVD discs so it's a comfortable size for backup.

Larger file sizes means you'll want faster computer equipment. But CS3 is fine. Make sure your current computer setup runs Phocus.

There are several workflows that could work for you - Phocus can output to DNG or TIF - I prefer TIF. With DNG, Adobe lacks the software to take advantage of the DAC features that Phocus has. You'd want to experiment with this before making the commitment. Perhaps others here can make suggestions. I'm extremely happy with the workflow I have.

I'm satisfied with my H gear, but take it for a test drive and convince yourself. Good luck.

Kind regards,
Derek

photolinia

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:33:32 pm »

Quote from: jecxz
I'm sure David Grover could help you with this.

I use the H3DII39, very similar to the H3D39 you're considering and I'd be concerned if the prior owner banged it or damaged it in some way that is not outwardly obvious. You definitely need to give it a good test drive.

I use the Extreme IV 8gb CF cards and don't have any problems. These match the size of 8gb DVD discs so it's a comfortable size for backup.

Larger file sizes means you'll want faster computer equipment. But CS3 is fine. Make sure your current computer setup runs Phocus.

There are several workflows that could work for you - Phocus can output to DNG or TIF - I prefer TIF. With DNG, Adobe lacks the software to take advantage of the DAC features that Phocus has. You'd want to experiment with this before making the commitment. Perhaps others here can make suggestions. I'm extremely happy with the workflow I have.

I'm satisfied with my H gear, but take it for a test drive and convince yourself. Good luck.

Kind regards,
Derek

Thanks.  I'm actually just renting it for the weekend (and depending on how that goes will then contemplate buying a used model)
I am renting an H3DII-39 (what is the difference between H3D and H3DII?)
thanks!

I also wish I could familiarize myself with the product by reading a manual ahead of time.  It's really too bad that Hasselblad
decided to not make them available to everyone.  Not sure what the purpose of that is...

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »

Have you tried downloading the manual? I just went to the Hasselblad site and it would let me download manuals. I think that you can also download Phocus these days. You do need to register but just put in anything as a serial number if you have to.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

photolinia

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:42:51 am »

Quote from: Jeff-Grant
Have you tried downloading the manual? I just went to the Hasselblad site and it would let me download manuals. I think that you can also download Phocus these days. You do need to register but just put in anything as a serial number if you have to.

I did register for the site (you can do it without registering your camera)
but it did ask me to register my camera to download a manual...

I'll try to enter garbage for a serial number to see if it lets me do that - thanks!

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:48:59 am »

It should work but, if it doesn't PM me and I will send them both to you. Hasselblad recently made Phocus available to the world at large after registration, but I thought that the manuals had always been available.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:16 am »

I did register for the site (you can do it without registering your camera)
but it did ask me to register my camera to download a manual...

I'll try to enter garbage for a serial number to see if it lets me do that - thanks!

Hmmm, could be just a glitch!

Anyway you are welcome to send me a PM with your email address and I can send you anything you need.

David

PS  EDIT ->  I have attached a PDF to run you through the basics.  Probably enough for your weekend!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:20:08 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:19:20 am »

Thanks.  I'm actually just renting it for the weekend (and depending on how that goes will then contemplate buying a used model)
I am renting an H3DII-39 (what is the difference between H3D and H3DII?)
thanks!

I also wish I could familiarize myself with the product by reading a manual ahead of time.  It's really too bad that Hasselblad
decided to not make them available to everyone.  Not sure what the purpose of that is...

H3D->H3DII

H3DII has..

Much larger LCD
Heat Sink based cooling
Louder Speaker!
Improved IR filter

Few other minor changes.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up