Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new 3800 set up PROBLEMS  (Read 1604 times)

stephenjedgar

new 3800 set up PROBLEMS
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:12:29 pm »

hi Guys

a bit of a 911 here:  Just opened up new epson 3800 and have started trying to print

couple of issues

1) in the PS3 print dialogue box, under Print Management I've been given the option of either Document, or Proof...seems the Proof setting gets me closer to what I want but this puts me into CMYK territory.

2) I've been told to :  Make sure the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 printer driver is selected as the default driver in Photoshop.  I'm not sure how to do this...

3) the Printer profile:  the default is Adobe RGB98, but in this case i'm using the Inkpress Fiberstock profile -should THIS be the Printer profile?

4) Rendering intent....which one

pflower

new 3800 set up PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:43:09 pm »

Others more knowledgeable than I will no doubt chip in, but I have been using a 3800 for about 18 months with great results.

1.  Choose document.  this should then display what the colour space of your document is - i.e. Adobe RGB or Prophoto or whatever.

2.  There is a drop down box which allows you to choose which printer to print to in CS3.  It is not, if I remember correctly, very sticky so if you use another printer in another application you may find you need to check this.  But on a Mac you can choose the printer from the Mac printer dialog later.

3.  Make sure you have selected "Photoshop Manages Colour" under Colour Handling.  Then underneath this you are asked for a printer profile.  This should be the specific profile for the paper you are using so it seems you are correct here.  As to whether you should use Perceptual or Relative Colormetric rendering depends on the profile.  If in doubt start with Perceptual and see what happens.  

4. Press Print.  You are then taken to the Mac printer dialog (don't know what happens under Windows).  This offers you the choice of printers (obviously choose the 3800).  It also offers Presets which you can create and then offers a third drop down box which starts on Copies and Pages.  The critical options here are headed Print Settings and Color Management.  In Print Settings choose the paper type you are using (glossy, matte etc.).  Then click on the Advanced button and choose the resolution you want to print at - i.e. 1440 or 2880 and decide if you want to use High Speed or not.  

5.  Finally - and this is critical - go to the Color Management drop down page and make sure that No Color Adjustment is chosen.  This is the biggest problem people find.  All color management should be handled by the paper profile within Photoshop which you set on the previous page.  If you choose anything other than No Color Management you will find both the driver and photoshop are sending colour information to the printer which results in a complete mess (also known as double profiling).

As I say this is based on my experience on a Mac but should make sense on a windows machine.

Good luck

Quote from: stephenjedgar
hi Guys

a bit of a 911 here:  Just opened up new epson 3800 and have started trying to print

couple of issues

1) in the PS3 print dialogue box, under Print Management I've been given the option of either Document, or Proof...seems the Proof setting gets me closer to what I want but this puts me into CMYK territory.

2) I've been told to :  Make sure the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 printer driver is selected as the default driver in Photoshop.  I'm not sure how to do this...

3) the Printer profile:  the default is Adobe RGB98, but in this case i'm using the Inkpress Fiberstock profile -should THIS be the Printer profile?

4) Rendering intent....which one

EdRosch

new 3800 set up PROBLEMS
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »

If I might make a few suggestions.  First, go to Eric Chan's website about the 3800,  it's highly worthwhile.

Second, I just purchased and have been watching Michael's and Jeff Schewe's  "From Camera to Print" tutorials.  The 3800 is one of the printers they use to demo and they cover pretty much everything you need to know to get you over the major confusions that occur when starting out.  Worth the rather modest price and nicely done.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:14:38 pm by EdRosch »

Tklimek

new 3800 set up PROBLEMS
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:59:57 pm »

Hehehhehe.....not being very helpful......but you can then also explore Lightroom if ya don't have it....once you figure out how to print...save all your steps as a preset and next time ya just press "Print"......

Michael/Jeff (I believe) do most of their printing from Lightroom.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: EdRosch
If I might make a few suggestions.  First, go to Eric Chan's website about the 3800,  it's highly worthwhile.

Second, I just purchased and have been watching Michael's and Jeff Schewe's  "From Camera to Print" tutorials.  The 3800 is one of the printers they use to demo and they cover pretty much everything you need to know to get you over the major confusions that occur when starting out.  Worth the rather modest price and nicely done.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up