Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LightRoom 2 file storage/backup questions.  (Read 2832 times)

hassiman

LightRoom 2 file storage/backup questions.
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:26:39 am »

Hi,

I am just beginning to use LR 2.3 and I want to start correctly....

I have been pondering how to begin and I was hoping some of you might point me in the right direction.

1. I have all of my RAW files on my Mac's desktop and they are organized at the top level by each of the 2 cameras they were taken with and then the sub folders of each organized chronologically with each subfolder titled by the location or subject of the images matter within each folder.

I want to import these into LightRoom 2.3 in a manner which will preserve this taxonomy. I also want to convert these RAW images into DNG files on import. How do I set up LR2 to do this?

2. I want the Lightroom files and the image files to live on my external Caldigit eSATA VR drive. This drive is actually 2 disks set to mirror as hardware RAID 1 so it is essence its own backup if one disk dies. How do I point LR to create and store the DNG files on this external drive and then set LR2 to back up so that the LR datafiles also live there? Would you say this is a good way to set this up or should the LR datafiles ( previews etc.) live with LR on the OS drive??

Is RAID 1 as safe as backing up to 2 different HD's?

Is it best to convert to DNG ( I like the fact that any LR image data is stored with the DNG and is not a sidecar file which could get seperated) or convert to DNG with orginal RAW file incorporated? How massive do these get?

When LR converts the RAW files to DNG does it move the RAW files from their original location to the location specified in LR preferences or does it only move the newly vreated DNG files?

Is it best to use LR2's backup utility and exclude the LR data from the Time Machine backup?

Sory for the long question...

howardm

LightRoom 2 file storage/backup questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:07:33 am »

Quote from: hassiman
Hi,

I am just beginning to use LR 2.3 and I want to start correctly....

I have been pondering how to begin and I was hoping some of you might point me in the right direction.

1. I have all of my RAW files on my Mac's desktop and they are organized at the top level by each of the 2 cameras they were taken with and then the sub folders of each organized chronologically with each subfolder titled by the location or subject of the images matter within each folder.

I want to import these into LightRoom 2.3 in a manner which will preserve this taxonomy. I also want to convert these RAW images into DNG files on import. How do I set up LR2 to do this?

>> it's pretty obvious in the Import dialog.  There is a 'Copy photo as DNG and add to catalog' selection for File Handling and then select Organize by Original folders'

2. I want the Lightroom files and the image files to live on my external Caldigit eSATA VR drive. This drive is actually 2 disks set to mirror as hardware RAID 1 so it is essence its own backup if one disk dies. How do I point LR to create and store the DNG files on this external drive and then set LR2 to back up so that the LR datafiles also live there? Would you say this is a good way to set this up or should the LR datafiles ( previews etc.) live with LR on the OS drive??

>> Again, in the Import dialog you select the 'Copy To:' location (which is someplace on the Caldigit which is the 'root' of where you want)

>> You CANNOT put the LR catalog/datafile on an external drive (although I dont know if an eSATA qualifies as external in this case, try it and see)
LR will complain if it thinks you're trying to do that.

Is RAID 1 as safe as backing up to 2 different HD's?

>> RAID1 just saves you from single disk failure.  if you spaz out and delete it or the whole RAID system flakes out, you're screwed.

Is it best to convert to DNG ( I like the fact that any LR image data is stored with the DNG and is not a sidecar file which could get seperated) or convert to DNG with orginal RAW file incorporated? How massive do these get?

>> In the latter case, the file is 2x as large.

When LR converts the RAW files to DNG does it move the RAW files from their original location to the location specified in LR preferences or does it only move the newly vreated DNG files?

>> leaves RAW, creates and copies DNG

Is it best to use LR2's backup utility and exclude the LR data from the Time Machine backup?

>> I can/do use both.  LR catalog to TM AND to special location on a RAID1 setup (w/my photos) and that is backed up again to a USB drive.  if you lose the catalog, you're toast.

>> Get a good book; these are questions that are easily answered.  I like the Martin Evening book for completeness.

Sory for the long question...

So you're leicaman there but hassiman here?  do you really have either?
Pages: [1]   Go Up