Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.  (Read 5157 times)

boblybill

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:36 pm »

Hey, guys and gals. I'm Chris Fleharty and I'm originally from, CO. I moved down to the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area about two years ago. I have been a long time fan of the guys from Lumnious Landscapes and thought joining would open up more knowledge to me as I try and improve my skills as a photographer. The reason I got into photography was to show others the amazing things that I have seen while I have been out on my storm chases. This year (2009) will be my third official year of chasing storms, and I hope to get many more pictures. I'm hoping that the knowledge base here would help me know the steps to go inorder to start selling shots (if they are worth selling) to make a little money from this blackhole of a hobby.

Here is a sample from the last 2-3 years. Enjoy.

1. Taken this march as I await this years storm season.

5. 5/21/2007 amazing cloud system.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:40:59 pm »

Quote from: boblybill
Hey, guys and gals. I'm Chris Fleharty and I'm originally from, CO. I moved down to the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area about two years ago. I have been a long time fan of the guys from Lumnious Landscapes and thought joining would open up more knowledge to me as I try and improve my skills as a photographer. The reason I got into photography was to show others the amazing things that I have seen while I have been out on my storm chases. This year (2009) will be my third official year of chasing storms, and I hope to get many more pictures. I'm hoping that the knowledge base here would help me know the steps to go inorder to start selling shots (if they are worth selling) to make a little money from this blackhole of a hobby.

Here is a sample from the last 2-3 years. Enjoy.
Welcome!

Nice work. I particularly like Autumn Day - lovely colours. The last one looks rather artificial to me: the rainbow is very saturated and dense, giving it an unnatural feel. But maybe it's just me.

Jeremy

boblybill

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »

Thanks for the welcome! What do you mean dense?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:41 am »

Hi Chris, and welcome to the list!

Thanks for sharing your work, too!

Feel free to jump into other discussions, or start your own.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:49:03 am »

Thanks for the welcome! What do you mean dense?
Opaque. I've found rainbows to be rather ethereal things.

Jeremy

boblybill

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:31:00 am »

Quote from: Majik_Imaje
Selling Photos ??  I know all about how to do that !!!  Been doing it for 40 years !!

Step one, purchase a post card or a note card stand.

Step two  start to print up 5 x 7's and fill your rack(s)

Step Three Distribute them in locations  that will allow you to do that.

Step four.  Wait

Step five  Create / Print more images !!

Step Six   wait

It will all happen, but it takes TIME !!  ( and a good economy)  

Great photographs !  You won't have a hard time making big bux !

Thanks for the advice! Have you sold any of your stuff in galeries? If so, how did you get your stuff in a gallery? I've found them to be very snobby. You have to be famous to get your stuff in a gallery, and you can't really get famous without getting you stuff out there and a good way of doing that is putting it in a gallery.

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi Chris, and welcome to the list!

Thanks for sharing your work, too!

Feel free to jump into other discussions, or start your own.

Mike.

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote from: kikashi
Opaque. I've found rainbows to be rather ethereal things.

Jeremy

Gotcha... well if there is a solid wall of rain behind them they can be rather solid looking.
here's another excample of the same day (much older edit on a non-calibrated monitor)

dalethorn

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:00:51 pm »

On #2, about 40% from the left, is something that looks like a funnel forming.  I suppose it's not, but if it was, the colors would be really interesting for a funnel formation.

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
On #2, about 40% from the left, is something that looks like a funnel forming.  I suppose it's not, but if it was, the colors would be really interesting for a funnel formation.

Chris,

I would warn you to stay from the blackhole of photography but you are probably already within the capture vortex so there is no escape. You have most likely had someone tell you that one of your images was great and they suggested that you should be selling your work.  

Enjoy the ride. Although some people think that photography will suck the lifeblood out of you, as well as take all your money, there is some good news.
Scientists used to surmise that once you are sucked into the hole itself or at least near the primary vortex, (bear with me, I'm making this up as I go), you are ripped to shreds by the huge gravitational pull. The new theory is that if you get sucked in quickly there is no disintegration and you emerge from the other side in a few billion years with no harmful effects. See, it isn't all that bad.

cheers,

by the way, Autumn Day, very nice!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 05:00:07 am »

Gotcha... well if there is a solid wall of rain behind them they can be rather solid looking.
here's another excample of the same day (much older edit on a non-calibrated monitor)
Fair enough - I stand corrected. Yet again, reality has the gall to differ from my expectations!

Jeremy

boblybill

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:43:47 pm »

This doesn't happen very ofter so 99% of the time you are absolutely correct. This storm, though, was dumping gallons and gallons of water on that day. Thanks for the comments non-the-less. Next time I'll make sure I don't up the saturation that far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up