Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water vs. Rock  (Read 2460 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Water vs. Rock
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »

[attachment=12420:Natural_Bridge.jpg]
Reactions/comments welcomed.
[size=12p

button

• http://
Water vs. Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:07 pm »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
[attachment=12420:Natural_Bridge.jpg]
Reactions/comments welcomed.

I like the elements in this one- the rock texture deceptively resembles flowing water.  You might want to burn the bottom right of the photo to draw attention to the center- to my eye, the rock is flowing toward the water, as opposed to "off the page."  Well done.

John

John R

Water vs. Rock
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:36:14 am »

I like this image for the reasons already stated by Button, but I do find the top and upper right areas dark. Perhaps making it a little lighter, which I just tried, would help. Looks great.

JMR
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:12:22 am by John R »

benInMA

Water vs. Rock
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:28:21 pm »

I would have liked to see the camera panned a little to the left so the waterfall was not cut off quite the same way.

I also find the rock in the foreground is kind of acting like a "fence" keeping my eye from being drawn further into the picture.

I actually like that the upper/left portion is dark.  Maybe it is too dark as some suggested, but you wouldn't want it drawing someone's
eye too strongly to that corner.

Very cool though!  Do you know what kind of rock this is?   It's very unique the way the water cut "fingers" in the rock.  I've never
really seen anything quite like it.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Water vs. Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:24 pm »

Quote from: benInMA
I would have liked to see the camera panned a little to the left so the waterfall was not cut off quite the same way.

I also find the rock in the foreground is kind of acting like a "fence" keeping my eye from being drawn further into the picture.

I actually like that the upper/left portion is dark.  Maybe it is too dark as some suggested, but you wouldn't want it drawing someone's
eye too strongly to that corner.

Very cool though!  Do you know what kind of rock this is?   It's very unique the way the water cut "fingers" in the rock.  I've never
really seen anything quite like it.

The rock is Limestone, possibly with a bit of Shale mixed in.  It's in a mountainous area, and the bedrock is probably folded on its side, so the ridges you see are softer rock or joints along the bedding planes that have been eroded by the flow of water.  The photo was taken in mid-October and the river is low.  In the Spring/early Summer this spot would be completely under a torrent of water.  Area is immediately upstream of the Natural Bridge, Yoho National Park, British Columbia, Canada.

Here are a couple of other photos of the same location, different angles, different post-processing treatments for consideration.

Thanks for the comments to everyone so far.

Andrew
[attachment=12484:Kicking_...Object_1.jpg]

[attachment=12494:kicking_...e_narrow.jpg]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:20:12 am by AndrewKulin »
[size=12p

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Water vs. Rock
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:00:07 am »

I agree with Ben; I too would like to see a little more water.  I do like the repeating lines between the rock and water.  It unifies the composition to me.  The rock in the lower right may be a little bit too dominant, but it is still an effective image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up