Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne display vs CaptureOne  (Read 2329 times)

michele

PhaseOne display vs CaptureOne
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:03:43 pm »

Hello to all,
I'm using a Phase back, a P45+; I open all my files with captureone 4.6. When I shot with the back, I always check the histogram to see if the highlights and the shadows are there; then I go to captureone and the histogram is never the same of the back's display. I mean, in the display I see much more things then in captureone! It seems that the display shows me all the data I can get from the raw with simple adjustments in CaptureOne, then CaptureOne shows me just the startup of the raw, then I have to work with few adjustments to get the same histogram of the back. Do you have the same experience? Do you know why it happens? I'm asking myself if is it a good thing or not...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:04 pm »

Quote from: michele
Hello to all,
I'm using a Phase back, a P45+; I open all my files with captureone 4.6. When I shot with the back, I always check the histogram to see if the highlights and the shadows are there; then I go to captureone and the histogram is never the same of the back's display. I mean, in the display I see much more things then in captureone! It seems that the display shows me all the data I can get from the raw with simple adjustments in CaptureOne, then CaptureOne shows me just the startup of the raw, then I have to work with few adjustments to get the same histogram of the back. Do you have the same experience? Do you know why it happens? I'm asking myself if is it a good thing or not...

Can you let us know the specific firmware version of your P45+ (menu > configuration > about) and specific version of Capture One 4.6? Also there are two histograms in Capture One, the first being under the Camera Icon and the second being the normal histogram found by default under "Q" for Quick Tab. Which are you referring to?

Then also please let us know the brightness to which you have calibrated your Apple monitor and the brightness setting you have your back set to (Menu > Play Setup > Brightness). Those won't impact the histogram obviously but I am curious.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:14:45 pm »

Do you know why it happens?
On the Backs display you see the linear capture and histogram. If you set the filmcurve to "linear response" in the base characteristics in C1 (in V3 as well as in V4) the histogram of back and softwarwe should match.

michele

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:07:52 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
On the Backs display you see the linear capture and histogram. If you set the filmcurve to "linear response" in the base characteristics in C1 (in V3 as well as in V4) the histogram of back and softwarwe should match.

Great! It's right, many thanks!!!

tho_mas

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »

Great! It's right, many thanks!!!
You're welcome.
I find the standard filmcurve quite steep in C1 and whised to create my own preset. Though it creates somehow a "filmlike" gradation, which is very well so far, it pushes bright tones very much especially if you "expose to the right". Depending on the subject a half stop less is better if you prefer to use the standard filmcurve (and if DR is not too high so that the blacks will be clipped).
On the other hand with the filmcurve set to "linear response" (actually needed for camera profiling) one can create some customized curves and that works quite well, too. Matter of taste...
Pages: [1]   Go Up