Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkjet Canvas  (Read 1851 times)

davisf8

Inkjet Canvas
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:33:32 am »

Does anyone know of a cold mount peel and stick mountboard that with aggressive enough adhesive that it would permanently hold injet canvas? Of course I would want it to be acid free.

Thanks,
Alan

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Inkjet Canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »

Depends a little on the size of your prints.  Up to about 17" x 22" most of those products will hold the print pretty well, but I wouldn't take it much further than that.  The peel-off stuff is really designed for flat, relatively low-textured media where considerably more than 50% of the media surface has good contact.  Because of its hill & valley texture canvas is only able to bond a much smaller percentage of its surface.

I did a lot of experimenting with much thicker peel-off adhesives about a year ago, like Drytac PSA28255 which is a rather thick, paper back adhesive that you first apply to the substrate or artwork.  Much thicker than the pre-applied peel-off products.  It worked pretty well on canvas but the whole workflow was too complicated for production.  And like all the really strong adhesives it was not squeaky-clean archival.  So I finally settled on coating Gatorboard with Miracle Muck using a paint roller, then rolling the print wound around a tube over that.  Really fast process.  Yeah, it's not pristine archival, so shoot me.  But those prints are not coming up anytime soon--unless somebody re-activates the Miracle Muck in a hot press in which case you just lift the print off.  Using this technique 44" x 120" is as almost as easy and sure-thing as a small print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up