Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out Of Memory Error  (Read 7466 times)

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:47:21 am »

Well, I am getting the infamous "Out of memory - Ade:" error in LL 2.2 and 2.3.  I get this error for both an 8x10 and a 24x30 print.  What a way to waste paper!

My computer has an AMD 2 Ghz processor with 4 Gig of memory.  This is the System Info as displayed by LL 2.2.

Lightroom version: 2.2 [523352]
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Version: 5.1 [2600]
Application architecture: x86
System architecture: x86
Physical processor count: 1
Processor speed: 2 GHz
Built-in memory: 3327.4 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 716.8 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 89.2 MB (12.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 84.4 MB
Memory cache size: 36.1 MB
Serial Number:
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2
Library Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Phil Knouf\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

The file size of the 8x10 is 284 Mb while the 24x30 is 1.773 Gig.  My original is a 4x5 Velvia scanned at 1600 ppi.  Both sizes print beautifully from PS CS4 on my Epson Stylus Pro 7900.  In fact I could not be happier with the results.  I would like to simplify my printing regime by using LL.  And, the printing templates are rather nice.

Do I have to break the bank and finally go over to a Mac?  Will this solve my problem?  Do I need to upgrade the hardware and add Vista Business Ultimate and run an 8 Gig machine?  My wife wil love all of the above!!

Thanks for your help!

Phil Knouf  

Jon Meddings

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:52:50 am »

Quote from: pknouf
Well, I am getting the infamous "Out of memory - Ade:" error in LL 2.2 and 2.3.  I get this error for both an 8x10 and a 24x30 print.  What a way to waste paper!

My computer has an AMD 2 Ghz processor with 4 Gig of memory.  This is the System Info as displayed by LL 2.2.

Serial Number:
Library Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Phil Knouf\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

The file size of the 8x10 is 284 Mb while the 24x30 is 1.773 Gig.  My original is a 4x5 Velvia scanned at 1600 ppi.  Both sizes print beautifully from PS CS4 on my Epson Stylus Pro 7900.  In fact I could not be happier with the results.  I would like to simplify my printing regime by using LL.  And, the printing templates are rather nice.

Do I have to break the bank and finally go over to a Mac?  Will this solve my problem?  Do I need to upgrade the hardware and add Vista Business Ultimate and run an 8 Gig machine?  My wife wil love all of the above!!

Thanks for your help!

Phil Knouf

Phil, I feel your pain!! I simply love lightroom but this issue (as well as crashing after muliple local adjustments) are the only things that makes me simply cringe when using the program!

I have asked extensively to solutions to this problem (I think it must be a memory leak in the program) and I keep hoping that each upgrade will solve it to no avail. At the present time the only work arounds that I know of - and if anyone else has other solutions I'm all ears - are:

1. Close and restart LR before doing a large print - clear the memory. Also applies after significant local adjustments.
2. For prints larger than 13x19 (and sometimes those) I simply can't use LR to print to my Epson 7800. In this case I've set up Qimage as a secondary image editor in LR and export an adjusted tiff which prints wonderfully from Qimage. Just can't do it from LR.

Longer term I suspect that I am going to have to move to a 64 bit OS and like you have considered the Mac. The trouble is that I'm simply so comfortable in the Windows environment with multiple tools and little utilities that I hesitate to make a move. Probably unwise of me but at the present time I'm thinking (perhaps foolishly) of Win 7.

Hope this helps

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:02 pm »

Lightroom version: 2.2 [523352] ...

The upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 helped this enormously for me.  It didn't entirely eliminate it, but it helped a lot.

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

stevebri

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:41:37 pm »

Hi PK,

I have to ask, why is your 10x8 so big...?  and consequently the 24x30.  This is probably the cause, it could be a memory error in the printer spool size.  At 300dpi a 10x8 RGB should be about 25mb in 8bit and 50 in 16 bit.

In the print module tick and set your print resolution to 300pi, in theory (do correct me if I'm wrong) it should then send the document to the printer software the right size.

You can also print at 180ppi, or 240ppi and still get perfect results.  I print from normally 22mp files at 240ppi and cannot see a difference between them at 300ppi.

Thinking out loud, Photoshop is 'probably' more geared to printing (or transferring to printer) bigger, multi layered files whereas LR probably wasn't designed to handle scans as big as that...

Thoughts anyone..?

Steve

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »

I don't have a solution, but it seems suspicious that LR is using virtual memory even though it has used only 12% of the physical memory available to it.

Peter

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:10:27 am »

Quote from: stevebri
Hi PK,

I have to ask, why is your 10x8 so big...?  and consequently the 24x30.  This is probably the cause, it could be a memory error in the printer spool size.  At 300dpi a 10x8 RGB should be about 25mb in 8bit and 50 in 16 bit.

In the print module tick and set your print resolution to 300pi, in theory (do correct me if I'm wrong) it should then send the document to the printer software the right size.

You can also print at 180ppi, or 240ppi and still get perfect results.  I print from normally 22mp files at 240ppi and cannot see a difference between them at 300ppi.

Thinking out loud, Photoshop is 'probably' more geared to printing (or transferring to printer) bigger, multi layered files whereas LR probably wasn't designed to handle scans as big as that...

Thoughts anyone..?

Steve

Steve,

The reason the files are so big is that they contain the sharpening layers from Photokit Sharpner.  I had to use that application since I could not print in Lightroom.  After flattening, the 8x10 went down to 55.4 meg as shown in image size with 3481 x 2782 pixels and a saved tiff file size of 76.1 meg while the 24x30 went to 346.3 in image size with 8701x6955 pixels and a saved tiff file size of 472.8 meg.  I believe the larger than expected file size is due to having scanned in a 4x5 transparency at 1600 ppi.  

I've yet to have anyone explain to me why LL can't handle the large file sizes.  What I would like to know is if I go to a Vista 64 and say 4 to 8 gigs if that will get rid of my out of memory error and the same question for the Mac.  I really like LL but now am just using it to output to a web gallery.

Thanks for your comments.

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 12:12:03 am »

Quote from: joedecker
The upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 helped this enormously for me.  It didn't entirely eliminate it, but it helped a lot.

--Joe

Joe,

I tried upgrading to 2.3 but ran into more than just the out of memory errors.  I had strange screen problems with missing icons and menus that did not work along with slow refresh so I went back to 2.2.

Thanks for your reply.

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:22:36 am »

Jon,

How long have you been using Qimage?  What are your pro/con thoughts about the program?

Thanks,

Jon Meddings

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:44:43 am »

Jon,

How long have you been using Qimage?  What are your pro/con thoughts about the program?

Thanks,

I've used Qimage for many, many years and am a very happy user. Support from Mike Chaney is wonderful and you can't beat the price. The 'pros' are that the print quality is superb and its ability to uprez a print and sharpen it are as good (if not better) than anything else.

The cons are really none EXCEPT that you now have a second program to use for printing. I would very much prefer to use LR for everything and not generate an intermediate tif file. I simply delete these after printing but it is an additional step.

It won't happen, but in my dreams I imagine the LR team buying out DDI and using Qimage as the LR print module! However, I think the issue is not that the LR print module doesn't work (when it prints the output is great) rather it seems that the program leaks memory and after any more than casual use on my machine it cannot print even a 13 x19 with confidence.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:30:43 am »

I've run into the same problem, and the two-part solution I've come up with is to:

1.  ALWAYS preview your image before printing in the Print Setup dialog, and
2.  If the large gray box show up in the Print Preview window, I restart my computer.

With that said, I really don't understand why this comes up.  I've printed multiple 16x20 prints on my 3800 with no problems, then at other times I can't even get a single print.  I've already made the decision to switch to Mac; I'm just waiting for my finances to support it, vice new glass for my camera bag.

stevebri

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:16:11 pm »

PK,

I run Vista x64 bit and it has been flawless (really) had it a year now, I DO run the updates and I DO use a defrag/registry optimizer twice a month.  I downloaded LR 2.3 after using the beta for a while and really no problems...  I have 8GB of fairly fast RAM on a quad core chip...

FWIW I bought a new 'puter from Newegg for about 1k instead of building my own, it was a much better, easier way to go for me, Vista x64 came preloaded, all I had to do was update the motherboard bios to take 8 gigs of RAM, it took 6 but the latest bios update made using the full 8 not a problem.  My puter is made by cyberpower...

I does sound like you may need a clean install, to get your platform stable and your LR software stable too.  Have you tried BoostSpeed bu auslogics, it take a look at your ram usage.

Steve

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 12:10:36 am »

Quote from: stevebri
PK,

I run Vista x64 bit and it has been flawless (really) had it a year now, I DO run the updates and I DO use a defrag/registry optimizer twice a month.  I downloaded LR 2.3 after using the beta for a while and really no problems...  I have 8GB of fairly fast RAM on a quad core chip...

FWIW I bought a new 'puter from Newegg for about 1k instead of building my own, it was a much better, easier way to go for me, Vista x64 came preloaded, all I had to do was update the motherboard bios to take 8 gigs of RAM, it took 6 but the latest bios update made using the full 8 not a problem.  My puter is made by cyberpower...

I does sound like you may need a clean install, to get your platform stable and your LR software stable too.  Have you tried BoostSpeed bu auslogics, it take a look at your ram usage.

Steve

Steve,

The problem right now with running Vista x64 is my scan software, SilverFast AI Studio, is not yet Vista x64 compatible.  It is supposed to be very soon and then I may take the plunge.  I'll look into the BoostSpeed bu auslogics.  However, other posts have shown the same ram numbers in XP with 4 gigs installed.  In the meantime, CS4 prints just fine for me.

Thanks,

pknouf

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 12:25:52 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I've run into the same problem, and the two-part solution I've come up with is to:

1.  ALWAYS preview your image before printing in the Print Setup dialog, and
2.  If the large gray box show up in the Print Preview window, I restart my computer.

With that said, I really don't understand why this comes up.  I've printed multiple 16x20 prints on my 3800 with no problems, then at other times I can't even get a single print.  I've already made the decision to switch to Mac; I'm just waiting for my finances to support it, vice new glass for my camera bag.

Jason,

I presume you are referring to Photshop and not Lightroom when referring to the Print Preview window, right?

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:14:55 pm »

Jason,

I presume you are referring to Photshop and not Lightroom when referring to the Print Preview window, right?

No, it's actually Epson's Print Preview window from the printer driver.  If you run a printer other than an Epson 3800, I assume that the driver has the same option available.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:31 pm »

Hi,

The problem you have is certainly well known. The problem is twofold, one side is that Windows, beeing a 32 bit operating system, cannot use more than 4 GByte memory. Normal versions of Windows use only half of that, namely 2 GByte.

You may check on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

---

---

Yes, switching to Mac solves that problem.

Lightroom version: 2.3 [539407]
Version: 10.4 [11]
Physical processor count: 2
Processor speed: 2.1 GHz
Built-in memory: 3072.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 3072.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 702.2 MB (22.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1072.5 MB
Memory cache size: 558.1 MB
Serial Number:
Application folder: /Applications

Best regards
Erik

Serial Number:

Thanks for your help!

Phil Knouf
Erik Kaffehr

stevebri

Out Of Memory Error
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 11:38:17 am »

PK,

i has silverfast Ai and after a few thoughts dumpted it...  It was always a clunky interface and a bit over rated.  i bought Viewscan and scan in raw.  All that means is scanning the flat image, making sure I get all the detail with no clipping.  Then I tweak it all in Lightroom.

Silverfast to me was a bit like Hasselblad's Flexcolor... just too long in the tooth.

S
Pages: [1]   Go Up