Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide angle lens vs adapters  (Read 2429 times)

Digi-T

Wide angle lens vs adapters
« on: February 29, 2004, 05:53:23 pm »

I'm currently using the Sony F707 which starts at 38mm. I have to use a wide angle converter to get me to 28mm. It is a workable solution but it is not very convenient and I hate the size of the converter. It looks stupid and it block the on-camera flash forcing you to use a seperate flash making the whole system larger and more conspicuous for indoor photography. My family always makes comments about it and it can interfere with the whole picture taking experience. I would take a camera that already starts at 28mm in a heartbeat. The quality will be slightly better too. If you don't require 8mp have you considered the Konica Minolta Dimage A1? It could be what you are looking for. I am researching the new A2 very closely with its 8mp, advanced subject tracking, and very high resolution EVF with 922,000 pixel resolution. 4x times what any other camera has, Wow!

T

BJL

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 11:40:27 am »

I would certainly recomend getting a lens that minimises the need for a WA adaptor, for the reasons already mentioned. Even more so on a camera without EVF, because the adaptor forces you  to use the LCD, which is famously a pain in bright conditions.
   It seems that the 35mm SLR world has overwhelmingly voted "28mm" as the "natural" wide limit for  astandard zoom lens, with 24mm as runner up, so aiming for the equivalent of at least 28mm in a good digicam seems wise.

The only counterpoint I have to add is that in my experience, telephoto adaptors are even messier to work with; they tend only to be usable at or near the maximum focal length, leaving a gap between the focal lengths possible with and without the adaptor; WA adaptors handle zoom more nicely.
   So just do not go wide to the point of giving up long focal lengths that you also like to use.

blk

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 04:29:19 pm »

I'm considering a prosumer (all in one) digital camera and want wide angle capability.  Which is better?  The ones with 28-??? or go with 35-??? and use a wide angle adapter?  I'm thinking problems with quality will be greater while using an adapter.  Good wide angle at 24mm or less seems hard to come by.  I like outdoor photography.  I thought after PMA the choices would be easier, but they seem to be more difficult.  I don't want 8 MP - 5MP with a larger sensor is fine.

I shoot 35mm slides and want an 'all in one' camera for the side.

blk

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 12:25:47 am »

Thanks.  I had a feeling the 28mm would be the best solution.  It's nice to hear from someone with experience using a WA adapter.  I will wait for some reviews on the 8MP however - they might be worthwhile, but I'm not holding my breath.

blk

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 03:31:53 pm »

There are several that start at 27/28mm:  Panasonic LC-1, but that only goes to 3.2 optical; Olympus 5060/8080 that goes to 4x and 5x respectively; Canon Powershot Pro with a 7x; Minolta A-1/A-2 with 7x; Nikon Coolpix 5400 with 4x; and Sony 828 with 7x.  If I go with a 28-200 for greatest flexibility, that only leaves me with 3 choices, and they are all in the $1000 category.  Just can't have my cake and eat it too!      

Anyone with experience with any of these, and how do they perform with a teleconverter attached? (at full zoom, of course)

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up