Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4800 clogged this AM  (Read 3679 times)

Bill Jaynes

4800 clogged this AM
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:37:22 pm »

Hello,
Our 4800 Pro has worked flawlessly for 2 or more years. Starting last evening, it showed 3 jets clogged. Several cleanings and pattern prints later there are actually fewer unclogged jets with reliable patterns from Black and LLBlack only, some patterning from Yellow and Magenta but not enough to print. Any ideas? As I say, more cleanings seem to result in more clogged nozzles. I've pulled and reinserted the carts for those colors and the maintenance tank has 40% life left.
Thanks for any pointers,
Bill
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

John Renda

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »

Hi Bill, have you tried to soak the pad under the print head with warm water? It works really good for my 4000. I usaully do it once a week for a maintence thing with it and very seldom have a problem. John

Bill Jaynes

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:43 pm »

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any tips for how to do that? Like parking the head out of the way?
Bill

Quote from: John Renda
Hi Bill, have you tried to soak the pad under the print head with warm water? It works really good for my 4000. I usaully do it once a week for a maintence thing with it and very seldom have a problem. John
Best regards,

Peter McLennan

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:54:36 pm »

My 4800 does this on occasion.  On discovering a clogged nozzle, successive cleanings result in worse clogs.  Don't despair.  Do a couple of cleanings, let it rest a while, do a few more cleanings.  I usually do an "auto" cleaning, which will activate on low ink or low mtc tank, when a manual clean won't. I've not tried liquids on the pad yet and await further input on this.

(sent from Mt Carmel Jct, east entrance to Zion National Park, in 30mph wind and soon-to-be sn*w)

namartinnz

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:24:45 pm »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
My 4800 does this on occasion.  On discovering a clogged nozzle, successive cleanings result in worse clogs.  Don't despair.  Do a couple of cleanings, let it rest a while, do a few more cleanings.  I usually do an "auto" cleaning, which will activate on low ink or low mtc tank, when a manual clean won't. I've not tried liquids on the pad yet and await further input on this.

(sent from Mt Carmel Jct, east entrance to Zion National Park, in 30mph wind and soon-to-be sn*w)

You may have to do a power clean. For a while I had a series of blockages on my Epson 4000 which a normal clean would just lead to more blocked nozzles. 10+ cleaning cycles wouldn't clear it. I finally did a power clean and while it used a lot of ink, head cleaning went back to normal. I'd tried the other methods described here first but they weren't effective.

Neal

John Renda

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »

Hi Bill, press the plunger down on the print head and moveit to the left, then get a plastic suringe adn fill it with warm water, then press the suringe on to the second pad from the left, then slide the print head back to the park position,let sit overnight if it is real bad, then in the morning to a manual nozzle clean  epson recomends this way for it to be done and don't do a power clean uses to much ink. If it is still clogged after the first clean  soak the pad again  then  do a nozzle check and then a manual clean. if I can help morre let me know, John
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:27:16 pm by John Renda »

Bill Jaynes

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:34:34 pm »

Thanks very much, John,
It may come to that. Repeated cleanings have brought all but the yellow cartridge back from the beyond.
Bill
Quote from: John Renda
Hi Bill, press the plunger down on the print head and moveit to the left, then get a plastic suringe adn fill it with warm water, then press the suringe on to the second pad from the left, then slide the print head back to the park position,let sit overnight if it is real bad, then in the morning to a manual nozzle clean  epson recomends this way for it to be done and don't do a power clean uses to much ink. If it is still clogged after the first clean  soak the pad again  then  do a nozzle check and then a manual clean. if I can help morre let me know, John
Best regards,

Bill Jaynes

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:35:44 pm »

Thanks for your help, Neal,
Down to just the yellow clogged. PwrClean next!
Bill
Quote from: namartinnz
You may have to do a power clean. For a while I had a series of blockages on my Epson 4000 which a normal clean would just lead to more blocked nozzles. 10+ cleaning cycles wouldn't clear it. I finally did a power clean and while it used a lot of ink, head cleaning went back to normal. I'd tried the other methods described here first but they weren't effective.

Neal
Best regards,

greygrad

4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:21:43 pm »

A few useful links on the subject of cleaning the 4800 that hopefully will be of help:

Cleaning the 4800

Cleaning the 4800 v2

Cleaning solution for the 4800

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
4800 clogged this AM
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:55:32 pm »

Once you get through this set of clogs, keeping a small tub of water inside the printer near the head has helped me some. (also have a 4800)  Not a complete solution, but I have noticed heads unclog with less passes.

About 2 years in is when I also started having clog issues with mine.
Mark
http:
Pages: [1]   Go Up