Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunsets - two different perspectives  (Read 2041 times)

dalethorn

Sunsets - two different perspectives
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »

Same sunset, seconds apart, from a different perspective. In person, the red/glow area looked like the Pacific Ocean with a different color, due to an unusual cloud layer.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:22:53 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Same sunset, seconds apart, from a different perspective. In person, the red/glow area looked like the Pacific Ocean with a different color, due to an unusual cloud layer.
I find the tree on the left an encumbrance to the image on the left. I would crop it out totally and the resultant image I think will have a more graphical strong horizontal composition.  

I am still on the road without an editing programme, but I would love to see the resultant crop to see the results of my idea.

Julie

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Quote from: jule
I find the tree on the left an encumbrance to the image on the left. I would crop it out totally and the resultant image I think will have a more graphical strong horizontal composition.  
I am still on the road without an editing programme, but I would love to see the resultant crop to see the results of my idea.
Julie

Here's the crop.  I have serious reservations about this unless the upper grey area is greatly cropped, since that large expanse of grey was being propped up by that tree.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:47:23 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Here's the crop.  I have serious reservations about this unless the upper grey area is greatly cropped, since that large expanse of grey was being propped up by that tree.
Thanks so much for providing the crop. I actually think it’s quite ok.

I’ve seen beautiful solid areas which when printed really well to the size that the file can support, look absolutely amazing. If there is a gentle graduation or subtly in the colour in the solid area, when printed it can be astoundingly beautiful. I’m still on the road and only have my laptop, but I’ll look more carefully at the solid sky when I get home.

I think there is also another image which might be worth considering – a vertical crop , in the big gap between the two areas of trees – approximately one third from the left.

I think if there is beautiful graduation or tonality in the sky, the tree on the left is totally unnecessary, and could be a more interesting and exciting image because it tosses out what we’ve been taught about composition, and brings in other elements of aesthetics which hold the image.

Julie

dalethorn

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:00:07 am »

Quote from: jule
Thanks so much for providing the crop. I actually think it’s quite ok.
I’ve seen beautiful solid areas which when printed really well to the size that the file can support, look absolutely amazing. If there is a gentle graduation or subtly in the colour in the solid area, when printed it can be astoundingly beautiful. I’m still on the road and only have my laptop, but I’ll look more carefully at the solid sky when I get home.
I think there is also another image which might be worth considering – a vertical crop , in the big gap between the two areas of trees – approximately one third from the left.
I think if there is beautiful graduation or tonality in the sky, the tree on the left is totally unnecessary, and could be a more interesting and exciting image because it tosses out what we’ve been taught about composition, and brings in other elements of aesthetics which hold the image.
Julie

Thanks for those comments. That's what many of us come here for - a challenge to rethink our established ideas. I'm reluctant to do a lot of experimenting in this space, but if you're able to post a sample here at some point, it would be most appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up