Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 Pro TL - digital back?  (Read 27517 times)

duncan.e

Mamiya 645 Pro TL - digital back?
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and am looking for some advice please....

Can anyone tell me if there is a digital back that will work with the Mamiya 645 Pro TL - I have looked on the web, but all I can find is info for the later autofocus model....  

Thanks in advance.

Duncan

ixpressraf

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:47 pm »

Quote from: duncan.e
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and am looking for some advice please....

Can anyone tell me if there is a digital back that will work with the Mamiya 645 Pro TL - I have looked on the web, but all I can find is info for the later autofocus model....  

Thanks in advance.

Duncan

hi Duncan,
the pro Tl is one of the nicest mamiyas to put a back on. You can use all wonderfull mamiya MF lenses without limitations of not working apertures with the 645AF. The second nicest thing is that lenses are dirt cheap.
I have two digital back's for my mamiya Pro tl of wich i am selling one. It is the hasselblad Ixpress 132c 22Mp back. Just connect it to a pro tl and you can start shooting. works like a charm.
grtz

duncan.e

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33:57 pm »

Wow!  What a speedy response - thanks!

I have a Hasselblad 503CW with just the standard 80mm lens - looking at the 645 Pro / Pro TL, I can build a complete kit for less that the price of a single lens for the Blad!  

My aim is to build a kit and then add a digital back at a later date....

Many thanks for your help.

Duncan

ixpressraf

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:15:28 pm »

hasselblad CF39, hasselblad CF39MS, ixpress 384c, ixpress 132c, ixpress 528c..... These are all of the finest back's ever made and the CF versions are still in production. You can buy a 22 Mp for 3350 euro with adapter so, why telling a person it is a bad deal??????? don't think so in my world.

RobertJ

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »

Any of the new and old Sinar backs work on the Mamiya with the adapter plate system.

And of course the Hassy backs (not the ones for the H system only) work with the Hassy adapter plate system.

http://www.sinar.ch/site/index__gast-d-125...s-rand-774.html

RobertJ

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »

I probably would ditch the TL system if I were diving into a digital back.

The Pro TL has a flash sync speed of 1/60th.  Whether you care about this or not depends on what and how you shoot, but it's very low, even if you don't care about sync speeds that much.

Also, a used RZII system is worth about the same as the Pro TL (a little more), with world class lenses, 1/400th sync speed, and can be technically used with more backs than any other camera system on the market today (Hassy V mount backs with cables and adapter, Mamiya AFD mount backs with cables and adapter, Hassy H backs with a custom adapter, AFD backs with no cables on the RZIID with adapter, Contax mount back? and there's even an adapter for a Leaf AFi mount back, LOL).

Now that's an open system.

duncan.e

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:38 am »

Many thanks for all your replies, it seems I created a bit of a debate!

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from all of you and I shall rethink the Pro TL option, maybe looking for a 645AFD, or even a RZII.  I was drawn to the Pro TL as I am on a tight budget at the moment, but it seems I am limited to the potential for a back, so it would probably be false economy.

Thanks again!

Duncan

yaya

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:16:35 am »

Quote from: T-1000
and can be technically used with more backs than any other camera system on the market today (Hassy V mount backs with cables and adapter, Mamiya AFD mount backs with cables and adapter, Hassy H backs with a custom adapter, AFD backs with no cables on the RZIID with adapter, Contax mount back? and there's even an adapter for a Leaf AFi mount back, LOL).

That's true and there is no need for a custom H adapter since we also make one of these. The only "custom" one is for Contax which can be ordered from ECO-Digital in Japan.

Yair

duncan.e

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:14:34 am »

OK, I've looked at the RZII and also the RB.  It seems that digital backs can be added to both cameras (Leaf Aptus for one).  The RB is available considerably cheaper than the RZII and the only obvious difference I can see is that the RZ has electronic shutter control, which I imagine is more accurate than the RB's mechanical.

My question is: Is the RZII worth the extra money that they fetch, or will the RB do the job just as well?  I know that the RZ Pro 2 D is the ideal one for use with digital, but that is definitely cost prohibitive at the moment!

My intention is to progressively build a system - either RB / RZ or 645 and use it with film initially, before getting a digital back.  The camera will be used for both landscapes and portraits, the RB / RZ mainly on a tripod - I remember how heavy they are!

I have very little knowledge of these cameras, although I did use a RB briefly many years ago.  Any insight will be gratefully received!

Thanks

Duncan

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »

Quote from: T-1000
I probably would ditch the TL system if I were diving into a digital back.

The Pro TL has a flash sync speed of 1/60th.  Whether you care about this or not depends on what and how you shoot, but it's very low, even if you don't care about sync speeds that much.

Also, a used RZII system is worth about the same as the Pro TL (a little more), with world class lenses, 1/400th sync speed, and can be technically used with more backs than any other camera system on the market today (Hassy V mount backs with cables and adapter, Mamiya AFD mount backs with cables and adapter, Hassy H backs with a custom adapter, AFD backs with no cables on the RZIID with adapter, Contax mount back? and there's even an adapter for a Leaf AFi mount back, LOL).

there are 3 x leaf shutter lenses for the pro tl.
paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 01:59:42 pm »

Quote from: duncan.e
My intention is to progressively build a system - either RB / RZ or 645 and use it with film initially, before getting a digital back.  The camera will be used for both landscapes and portraits, the RB / RZ mainly on a tripod - I remember how heavy they are!

My .02 added to the mix...

First you need to decide on basic functionality issues: IOW do you need leaf shutter lenses or can you live with focal plane shutters; is portability a concern?  Once you answer those questions, the selection of system becomes narrowed.

A short primer:  Leaf lenses synch with strobes up to their maximum speeds.  In the RB/RZ world, that is 1/400th sec, 1/500th for Hassy V.  Focal plane shuttered bodies generally have slower flash synch speeds of 1/60th or 1/125th, but deliver much higher maximum shutter speeds, usually 1/2000th or more.  As for portability, the 645 cameras are smaller and lighter by a little than 6x6 cameras; both are significantly smaller and lighter than RZ/RB.  However, the RZ/RB has a rotating back which is almost essential for a rectangular capture format with a waist-level viewfinder.

Re entry costs, here Mamiya is going to win.  The Pro TL was a great camera, but as has been pointed out, future adaptability is virtually non-existent.  The good news is its inexpensive glass can be used normally on the AFD1, 2 or 3 body. (Exception is the Pro TL leaf-shutter lenses -- they require the mechanical linkage in the Pro TL body.)  The RB and RZ lenses are excellent.  With prices being the same, I would go with RZ simply because the glass can be used on the oldest RZ1 body through the newest RZ Pro II D body -- and an important final PLUS: RB lenses can be used on the RZ, but not vice-versa!  There are a plethora of accessories for 645 AFD and RZ systems as well, adding to their flexibility.

Contax 645 AF,  Hassy 50x and Hassy 20x  all are excellent as well, though glass and accessories are generally more expensive than comparable Mamiya lenses.  As an alternative plus, many third-party lenses can be adapted to focal plane bodies like the Contax 645 and Mamiya AFD via inexpensive adapters, notable here is the ability to use Hasselblad H or F glass on either as well as the ability to mount large format view lenses at the end of a bellows assembly on either.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:00:53 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up