Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a dead/hot pixel?  (Read 2954 times)

Edward

Is this a dead/hot pixel?
« on: September 23, 2003, 10:49:14 pm »

It is turns out to be a cluster of 6 hot pixels.  For those of you do not know about it, there is a great utility I just found for analyzing a file for hot and dead pixels:

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm

This is at 400 ASA, 1/20 sec.  It is still visible at 100 with a fast shutter speed, but it is only a couple of pixels.

So, is this a warranty issue?

Edward

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 06:05:26 pm »

Sent the camera to Canon.  They got it on Monday, I had it back the following Tuesday.  Said they cleaned the cmos and fixed the hot pixels.  The pixels were fixed at the 400 speed range where I noticed them.  You could still see some at longer exposures at 1600, but at 1600 you cannot expect perfection.  Really great turnaround.

Edward

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 09:19:08 pm »

Just found this spot on a bunch of my canon 10D images:

This is a 32 pixel crop with what looks like a hot/dead pixel in the center.  What does this look like to you?  Is it a dust spot?  I assumed that dust would be a black spot.  It it is a bad pixel, is this a warranty replacement issue or does Canon just say tough luck?

Thanks for any help on this.

Jeff Donald

• Florida Center for Creative Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 11:20:30 pm »

None of us can say for certain, but it is certainly worth discussing with your dealer and Canon.  I do know that with their video products (XL1, GL2) they have a formula that works out to be that around 15 to 20 pixels have to be dead for it to be a warranty issue that will be considered for warranty service.  It's a gray area.  Still photo products are a different division and different rules apply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up