Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Rollei/Zeiss 110 f2 lens  (Read 6996 times)

jps

Problem with Rollei/Zeiss 110 f2 lens
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »

I have a 110 f2 lens that Im using on a Hy6 camera. It has developed a problem with the aperture blades and I wonder if anyone has advice before I send it off for service ( I live a zillion miles away in semi remote west australia ). The blades operate OK at f2 but as soon as it is stopped down they close to f16 ish. and remain at that setting unchanged from f2.2 to f 16 ..... any ideas ?

Cheers  JOHN

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »

Are you able to try the same lens on another body, just to isolate the problem?

jps

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »

One other thing I should have mentioned is that the lens works fine in the full manual mode ie when you use the aperture control ring on the lens its just when you are trying to control the lens via the camera .. and yes Ive cleaned the contacts !

Cheers JOHN

jps

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
Are you able to try the same lens on another body, just to isolate the problem?

No I cant. I dont think its the camera as all my other lenses work fine.  Also when I say it works ok in manual what I mean is the blades operate OK but it still does not communicate with the camera.

Cheers JOHN

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:23:01 pm »

Well, sorry to say it but once you have isolated the problem to the lens, (and you're sure that the lens is properly attached and contacts are clean) there's not much to do but send it in.

jps

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:09 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
Well, sorry to say it but once you have isolated the problem to the lens, (and you're sure that the lens is properly attached and contacts are clean) there's not much to do but send it in.

Hi Graham

Yes Im afraid you are right. The lens is soooooo gorgeous it will be difficult to be parted from ! Im missing it already ! Any ideas on turn around time at factory ?  come to think of it since it is a Zeiss lens where do I send it ?

JOHN

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »

Hmm - from what you wrote I wonder if you can tell if this is a lens problem or a camera issue.  Weird that it would work in manual mode, but not auto.   Don't you set the manual aperture adjustment ring on the lens to auto mode by turning it through the smaller apertures first? Maybe its not getting all the way there to the auto mode and sticking on f/16 or whatever the smallest aperture is?  Maybe there's a bit of grit or something in the ring that isn't letting it turn all the way to the stop?    Your Hy6 works fine with other lenses?

Rolleiflex USA

jps

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:57 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Hmm - from what you wrote I wonder if you can tell if this is a lens problem or a camera issue.  Weird that it would work in manual mode, but not auto.   Don't you set the manual aperture adjustment ring on the lens to auto mode by turning it through the smaller apertures first? Maybe its not getting all the way there to the auto mode and sticking on f/16 or whatever the smallest aperture is?  Maybe there's a bit of grit or something in the ring that isn't letting it turn all the way to the stop?    Your Hy6 works fine with other lenses?

Hello Eric

The ring on the lens seems fine , it rotates ok and locks in place at the A point. When I say it is Ok in full manual I mean that you can see the blades are operating OK via the preview button , however f stop is not communicated to the camera , so the metering is off. ( it actually says the aperture is set to f18 .. the lens only goes to f16 ) When the lens is set to the A point and you control it via the camera it has only 2 positions , either f2 or f16.
The Hy6 works fine with all my other lenses ... it is a fantastic camera !

Cheers JOHN

paratom

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 03:58:24 am »

Quote from: jps
Hi Graham

Yes Im afraid you are right. The lens is soooooo gorgeous it will be difficult to be parted from ! Im missing it already ! Any ideas on turn around time at factory ?  come to think of it since it is a Zeiss lens where do I send it ?

JOHN
I recently sent my 80 Xenoter to F&H for repair and it took about 10 days until I received it back if I remember correctly.
(but I live in Germany so the shipping doesnt take long) Maybe not bad idea if you call before you send it in and ask how long it will take. SO far I have very good experience with help from F&H.

I also use the 110 on the Hy6 and have not had any problem so far.

jps

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 09:13:28 am »

Thanks for that. 10 days is quite reasonable. I am still wondering since it is a Zeiss lens if it should be sent to them rather than F&H ?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 09:22:31 am »

Thanks for that. 10 days is quite reasonable. I am still wondering since it is a Zeiss lens if it should be sent to them rather than F&H ?

I think the shutters and electronics are all F&H, and this seems to be where the problem lies.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 04:53:54 pm »

John,
my(your) Schneider Apo 90 went to F&H to have some fungus removed on one of the elements.
They replaced the element.
All you have to do is send the lens in with a covering letter.(See info below)

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/service_e.htm

The service is quite fast.

One thing that's important that you might have to pay gst when the lens is returned from Germany.

Cheers,
Willem.

Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

jps

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:14:39 am »

At the risk of restarting the debate about F&H   I have just been informed that F&H are not accepting repairs.

Any ideas ??  I want to get this lens fixed!

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:36 am »

Onick at Rollei Hensel Service in New Jersey worked on my lenses when I was shooting Rollei.  My guess is there must be someone closer to you, but if not, he'll get the job done.

He's at:
1275 BLOOMFIELD AVE.
BUILDING 8 UNIT 68
FAIRFIELD, NJ  07004
U.S.A.   
Phone: 973-244-9662
Fax: 973-244-9817
E-mail: info@danielleinc.us
Web Site: www.danielleinc.us

Krimar at Marflex also has a good reputation (although I've not used him personally):
http://www.krimarphoto.com.

Hope that helps,
-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 04:58:38 pm »

John,
did you read my post?
You have to send the lens to Schneider , not to F&H.

Anyway,a better option would be the address that Eric suggested in the US.

Probably cheaper and faster turn around.

Best,

Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:22 pm »

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same situation that you are describing, with a Hy6 and the Schneider 90 mm macro.  The iris stops down exactly as it should on the manual f-stop setting, but does so erratically on the "A" setting when using the camera's LCD on the handle to communicate the desired f-stop.  I sent the lens to Onick, he was not able to replicate my problem with his NON_Hy6 camera.

Jerry Reed

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »

Hello,

When mounting a lens with an adapter - such as the 1.4x - on the Rollei 6008AF - I find that you must first put the adapter ring on the lens and then mount both together on the camera or you get an error message or it doesn't function properly. BUT on the Leaf Afi it says specifically first to mount the adapter on the camera and then add the lens - and it seems to work just fine.

I just did that with the 1.4x plus the 110 f2 on the Leaf and it worked fine.

There's another place in Germany that gives service - I found F&H to be slow on repairing a 180mm f2. here's the email: Paepke-Fotogeraete-Service@t-online.de
Phone +49-21-17-33-30-07

I used them a few years ago last time I repaired something and they were fine.

Neil Folberg
www.visiongallery.com

Quote from: xinchenc
I met the same problem with my 2/110 when working with 1.4x AF-Apogonon my Leaf Afi. But when working alone, that 110mm
 works well. Strange.

Xin

jps

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »

Quote from: JerryReed
I am experiencing EXACTLY the same situation that you are describing, with a Hy6 and the Schneider 90 mm macro.  The iris stops down exactly as it should on the manual f-stop setting, but does so erratically on the "A" setting when using the camera's LCD on the handle to communicate the desired f-stop.  I sent the lens to Onick, he was not able to replicate my problem with his NON_Hy6 camera.

Jerry Reed

Interesting...... I suspect compatibility issues with older non AFD lenses on HY6/Leaf cameras is more common than the manufacturers would have us believe. I also have a 55 PCS and a 40mm super angulon that behave strangely in that the dont sinc properly with the camera.The real problem is how/is it possible ? to repair ?  Im not even sure that there is anything in fact wrong with them ie they may conform to the original manufacture specifications BUT will not work properly with a new body. Really need to hear something from F&H , but emails to them disappear into a black hole !!!!

Frustrated JOHN

David K

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:45:34 pm »

Interesting...... I suspect compatibility issues with older non AFD lenses on HY6/Leaf cameras is more common than the manufacturers would have us believe. I also have a 55 PCS and a 40mm super angulon that behave strangely in that the dont sinc properly with the camera.The real problem is how/is it possible ? to repair ?  Im not even sure that there is anything in fact wrong with them ie they may conform to the original manufacture specifications BUT will not work properly with a new body. Really need to hear something from F&H , but emails to them disappear into a black hole !!!!

Frustrated JOHN

As did my repeated emails to them when I sent in my 55 PCS for repair.  They do great work but are sorely lacking on the communication front.  I'll second the recommendation to send the lens to Onick in NJ for repair.  It can't hurt to call him first.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:22 am »

So, okay here is what my earlier problem turned out to be.  Here is the good news, it had nothing to do with the camera or the lens.  Here is the embarassing news, it was operator error (that's me).  I had overlooked that the sync was being performed by a POCKET WIZARD PLUS II.  Here's the deal, it will not sync faster than 500th, and sometimes not that quickly.

Now I solved the "problem" by using a sync cord.

Boy do I have a red face,

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up