Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900-- thick sheet fed letter size problems.  (Read 2446 times)

sfblue

• http://
Epson 7900-- thick sheet fed letter size problems.
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:41 pm »

Hi,  I am a new owner of the 7900 and other than the auto head cleaning, I'm very happy with it.   Prints thus far are great and I know I haven't even gotten the best out of the printer yet.  Paper feeding has been a joy compared to other printers in the past with one exception.    I've used rolls and sheets of various types and sizes without problem.  (I had a minor problem feeding sheets of Hahnemuhle canvas but have figured it out.)    

I print on Harman FB Gloss quite a bit.  I frequently print out a proof on a letter sized sheet.   I am consistently bending the top corners of the paper down when it feeds-- i.e. you hit the down button, the paper feeds lower than back up into position.   On the way back up, the top corners (especially the right one) catches almost all the time, bending the corner down so that the paper is unusable.   With a larger sheet, it is not a problem as the top edge does not feed deep enough to catch on the way back up.   Also, letter-sized is not large enough to follow the protocol for thick media.   I have tried playing with the platen gap but haven't produced consistent results yet.

Has anyone else had this problem with any papers?   I've printed with Epson Luster sheet letter sized and it has fed perfectly every time.  Thus far, it has only been with the Harman FB Glossy which is relatively thick/stiff.

snickgrr

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:12:26 pm »

I did twice until I figured out just to gently give the paper a backward roll on the top edge so it doesn't catch the printer on the upward repositioning action.

alexsar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:24:32 pm »

i do exactly the same
gently bend backwards
I have had this occur only on this (wonderful) paper

Alexandros

sfblue

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:13:35 pm »

Thanks!!  I have been too pre-occupied with problems profiling paper to resort to . . .   common sense!  Yes, I'm not a big gloss fan in general, but i love this paper!

Profiles don't exist yet for the 7900/9900.   Any suggestions?  I have been working with spyder3 print but haven't gotten satisfactory results yet.  I am about to try yet again.   I will also likely send out to someone to have a profile made if I can't get anything reasonable with the spyder.  Any suggestions? -- even on who you think does good/reasonable profiles?   Thanks!

should this be a new thread?

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »

Quote from: snickgrr
I did twice until I figured out just to gently give the paper a backward roll on the top edge so it doesn't catch the printer on the upward repositioning action.

Yup, similar experience here. My 7900 is less tolerant of paper curl than my 9600. I use a 2" core card tube to reverse roll the paper and that seems to do the trick.

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
Yup, similar experience here. My 7900 is less tolerant of paper curl than my 9600. I use a 2" core card tube to reverse roll the paper and that seems to do the trick.

Cheers,

Ryan

The only sheet paper I've used that seems flat enough are the RC papers and EEF.  I have to make sure the leading edge is reversed curled or the printer will jam up at the exit guides.  I haven't used letter size sheets of anything other than premium luster, so I haven't seen the OP problem.

I have profiled the Harman Gloss FB AL, but the past five weeks my printer has seen little action while trying to resolve my wife's health issues, so I haven't actually been able to use the profile to make a print.  If anyone would like to give it a spin, drop me an email at waynefox@me.com and I'll send it ... let me know how it performs. (It should perform well, graph looks great in colorthink, gamut volume around 942,000).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:00:42 pm by Wayne Fox »

sfblue

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:47:32 pm »

Hi Wayne,  I just dropped you an email and would love to try out the profile.  

Thanks very much,

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up