Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting from a Helo  (Read 2536 times)

mebow

Shooting from a Helo
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:18:15 am »

I am going to do some helo shooting this spring, for the first time, and would be interested in hearing any special technique tips that you might offer. Camera Canon 1Ds III
with lots of glass. Thanks, Mike

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Shooting from a Helo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »

Quote from: mebow
I am going to do some helo shooting this spring, for the first time, and would be interested in hearing any special technique tips that you might offer. Camera Canon 1Ds III

Door off or on?

If door on, is there any removable part of the window that you can shoot through?
Bob
 ht

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Shooting from a Helo
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:51:47 pm »

Quote from: mebow

I am interested in best technique for this also - I will be shooting from a helicopter in NewZealands south Island in 3 months time.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

DesW

Shooting from a Helo
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
I am interested in best technique for this also - I will be shooting from a helicopter in NewZealands south Island in 3 months time.

Morning All,

OK up here on the GBR Aust do quite a bit of Heli stuff-- my ways/ observations /etc.

A : Make sure they get you the BEST pilot that understands snapping from the Chopper --discuss with him what is required in Detail BEFORE you get airborne.

B: Be aware of the Rules and Regs of the Area you are working-- do NOT encourage or berate him/her if the rules are NOT to be broken--i.e 500 ft min drop /etc.

C: Observe ALL safety regs to the letter. For Shooting they will take the Door off for you-- ask for the one BEHIND the Pilot if it is 4 Seater. If only a front 2 seater- they probably will NOT take door off so you
will be stuck with the piddly sliding window--PIA's but make do.

D: Make sure to your satisfaction all Harness/ Communication/headphones /etc work --it's bloody noisy and drafty up there with the door off!

E: 500th rec SSpeed try not to lean touch any side panels-vibration/etc. Pola if required.

F: Watch for flying Lenshoods in the side draft/etc!

G: Overall be prepared- cards/lenses set exposure /tests /etc and take a deep breath and keep relaxed.

Interestingly the big  Heli shooters up here in North Oz that worked on Speilbergs "The Pacific"/ Sea Patrol/ Fools  Gold/ Survivor/etc all told me they charge Double for Heli snapping-- Hmmm!

Ha Josh--ah yes the South I of NZ my old stamping ground-- you will see some incredible Vista's down there-- on a good day virtually unique--good Luck.

The Heli boys down there are legendary--ex Deer recovery Pilots-- they know their craft!

Best

DesW

Pages: [1]   Go Up