Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I´m buying a Hbl H3d 22, what do I need to know?  (Read 4067 times)

christian_raae

I´m buying a Hbl H3d 22, what do I need to know?
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:28 pm »

Hi

As the topic describes, I´m buying a second hand H3d 22. I´ve been scooping through the forum and haven´t really found that much about the 22mp version.

So, what should I think about? Is there anything particular that I should know?

If you have any experience of this camera, fire away!

Thanks.

Christian
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

ixpressraf

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:19:43 pm »

It is a wonderfull back. I just upgraded to the H3d50Mp and am selling my perfect h3d-39Mp complete with standard lens and battery+charger ( the complete package as i bought it)  for 7500 euro, so your 22Mp should at least be 3000 euro cheaper, let's say 4500 euro or so.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:47:29 am by ixpressraf »

christian_raae

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:27:26 pm »

I´m looking at paying 5500euro for the house without the bundle lens.

I think that´s a bit steep, and it is a bit over my budget.
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

ixpressraf

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »

for 7500 euro you can have my perfect H3d-39Mp with lens  wich is way better then the 22 Mp, better detail, bigger files, etc but the same ease of use.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:48:51 am by ixpressraf »

christian_raae

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:37:57 pm »

Thanks for the offer, but I´m not interested.

H3d-22 User experiences , anyone ? :-)
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

Nick-T

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:40:46 pm »

Quote from: christian_raae
Hi

As the topic describes, I´m buying a second hand H3d 22. I´ve been scooping through the forum and haven´t really found that much about the 22mp version.

So, what should I think about? Is there anything particular that I should know?

If you have any experience of this camera, fire away!

Thanks.

Christian
File sizes aside the experience will be much like an H3D39. You'll get a bit more moire though the phocus moire filter is very good. If you are going to run Phocus (rather than the venerable Flexcolour) you'll want a fast machine with a good graphics card. I can't think of anything else intelligent to say at this point (not unusual) but happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

christian_raae

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:42:44 pm »

Are there any specific disadvantages shooting with H3d? Does it have any known flaws?
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

Nick-T

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:57:19 pm »

Are there any specific disadvantages shooting with H3d? Does it have any known flaws?

The Batteries are expensive (but they do last well and power the whole system)

The lenses are very good and the digital corrections are absolutely amazing despite what some muppets would have you believe.

The new zoom is great, lighter than the old one and very fast AF but hideously expensive.

If you want to use the back on a view camera you will need a power source (either tether or use Hasselblad's image bank).

The system can be picky with CF cards, Sandisk are great, if you want to use other brands check that they are SLC chipset cards.

I'm sure the boys from Phase and Leaf will chime in with some flaws

keep the questions coming so i can avoid doing this shoot I'm avoiding..

Nick-T

ixpressraf

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Which is it 39Mp or 31Mp, and are you advertising it anywhere?

hi i am just getting my H3d50 so it isn't really advertised until now. it is the H3d-39Mp camerasystem.
best regards.

I also had a H2d22Mp wich i really loved back then. As said by Nick T, it sometimes displayed some moiree but that can easelly be cleaned up wright now. On of the best things are the constant software upgrades hasselblad provides. My 132c or 528c used to have a lot more noise at high iso in the first versions of flexcolor but with the latest flexcolor and Focos thigs got really good, even at 200 and 400 iso.
The firmware upgrades in the H3d systems are in one word " spectacular". I shoot a lot at 800 iso with my H3d31Mp and push a stop or somethimes two in flex or phocus but each time a new firmware upgrade arrives things get better. For those who still believe that a 5dMkii or so is on par with a back do the following: go into a factory with a lot of mixed lighting. Sodium vapor, tungsten, argon, metal halide and so on and make pictures over there. That is real world shooting for me as i do industrial photography. You will eassally see the " enormous" differences in file quality when white ballancing files. 400 Iso shooting with the H3d22Mp is no problem and way better than a 5d can deliver. However since almost all people on this forum do people and fashion it does not seem to be of any importance to most of you. But there are thousends of people doing industrial photography and they know the relevance of a H3d when working under harsh circomstances.
Go for that H3d.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:54:30 pm »

I love my H3D22. IMHO, with the 80mm the balance is great for handheld work.

My 2 complaints are the lens hood on my 80mm is often loose - I used to store it w/ the hood on and it got loose. AND the screen on the H3 sucks and I often use my G9 or the 5D on location to dial in light then start shooting w/ the H3 - thats if I have dont the macbook there.

I prefer Flex over phocus just b/c I haven't seen the need for phocus as we dont have higher ISO (on 22MP backs) or long exposure bump and I haven't got a new graphics card for my mac. Also phocus wont run on my macbook for location work so it keeps it simpler just using one program.

You do realize that a 22MP single shot system is kinda worthless in the 2nd hand market due to the bigger MF backs getting cheaper and the DSLRs pumping out 22-24 MPs. AND, the H system is pretty pricey for glass compared to most (not all) Mamiya glass.

That said the files a great to work with in post and overall I like the look of the color straight out for the camera than my 5D.

Again - these are only my humble experiences and opinions

PS - hasselbald - please drop the price on that new zoom back into the lower atmosphere of earth -thx!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:03:57 am by jimgolden »

Martin E

• http://datafocus@ihug.co.nz
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:22:16 am »

I have the older H2D 22 which I find excellent for colour. I can send you an example. My problem is that I cannot get the firewire to work on the pc. I have been told that it is likely the port is burnt out and fixing is not cost effective. Not sure how common this problem is. Other than that I find 22Meg all I need.
Regards Martin E

christian_raae

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:18 am »

Thanks a lot for the input for you all.

What are the fisheye possibilities on the H3d-22? How many degree coverage will you get with the 1.1 crop? I´m thinking of a 30mm CF with adapter.
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

Nick-T

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »

Thanks a lot for the input for you all.

What are the fisheye possibilities on the H3d-22? How many degree coverage will you get with the 1.1 crop? I´m thinking of a 30mm CF with adapter.

What about the Hasselblad 28mm? It will perform better than the 30mm  due to the DAC corrections.

Jim as to your lens hood have you tried tightening the screws?

Nick-T

christian_raae

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:24 pm »

I´m actually looking for the spherical effect.

So my question is how much of the spherical effect will be lost due to the 1.1 crop?
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »

@ Nick - ya know - I haven't - I'll check that out. I usually whine to my rep and a new one shows up...

christian_raae

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

Has anyone tried a Hbl 30mm on the H3D22 or 39?
--

Christian Raae
NORWAY
H3D-22II & 5D
www.christianraae.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up