I have been on PC for last ten years and finally got word today that I can pick up my MacBook Pro 17 this afternoon, after over two months wait.
Originally I was impressed when W700 was announced, except too expensive, too large, and too heavy. I was ready to buy a W500 in early November last year, but Lenovo here in Hong Kong did not provide on time, and then not with proper specs on time, which included the better display, SSD etc. Checking their website just now... no more SSD option for W500... and prices on Lenovo considerable higher here than in USA, while Mac is same as USA!
More so... the crux of the W500 was its DisplayPort since I was going to get a 30" display for it, which requires Dual Link DVI. In November last year I managed to find an early such adapter in China which I have not yet tested, but it appears to be correct because I researched. It is a dongle. I will not need that one now, so if anyone has need for me, email me an offer!
With the MacBook Pro 17 I plan for a 26" display instead which saves me money!
Instead of W500 I went for the MacBook Pro 17 because it was about same price here in Hong Kong, but gave me following:
1. No need for Windows XP, no Windows Vista, no Windows 7!!!!! I have had much enough of MS Windows which always have problems and bugs and makes slow. The more I researched of Mac, the more I realized Mac OS is ten years ahead of Windows... seeing MS Windows 7 on Youtube with two guys show off what they labeled as cool features..., that indeed is not what I need,but instead as compared to Mac OS have I need useful features, which with Mac OS were precious icing on cake. Seeing my Aptus 65 RAW files read from a one year old MacBook Pro and scroll through them in iPhoto over USB was more impressive, it is like can work with the files!
2. 17" over 15" and better display (anti glare)
3. Only slight more weight than W500.
4. Higher reliability than PC (Lenovo notebooks are top of PC but Mac rated higher).
5. 256GB SSD.
6. Ability to later upgrade to 8GB RAM.
7. Simple OS that has so much built in!
Above said I work in engineering field, but... I can still run Windows on Mac, just use Mac for all useful!
Looking forward to my Mac today!
P.S Downside of the MacBook Pro? No second HDD. That is no problem since Pretec recent announced a 128GB SSD, we can assume to soon see larger capacities...
P.S.2 For HP, check the lack of reliability of their products. Had both notebook and pocket PC mobile, will not buy again. For Sony, check the very wide display which means is less tall! My current notebook is Fujitsu, due problems what appears due faulty design I will not buy again, have had 3 HDDs damaged and one 2GB RAM. Indeed looking forward to Mac!