Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Shield & Hahnmehule Photo Rag Baryta  (Read 2469 times)

Light Seeker

Print Shield & Hahnmehule Photo Rag Baryta
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »

I just sprayed PremierArt Print Shield onto a couple of Hahnmehule Photo Rag Baryta prints. I was surprised to see some "fogging" artifacts on the image. I've use Print Shield on a number of gloss papers in the past, and I've never had any issues. The prints were made on a 3800.

Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone tried Print Shield on Photo Rag Baryta, or Photo Rag Pearl for that matter?

Terry.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:56:16 pm »

Did it finally clear?  I see that pretty often with Glamour & Clearshield when I roller coat canvas test strips, especially if I roll over a part of the print that has set up a little bit.  Have never seen it fail to clear completely, although strips that experience that seem to take a lot longer to dry that those that don't.

Brent Daniels

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:20:07 pm »

I have not tried the Print Shield on the Photo Rag Baryta yet so I can not comment on that. However with what Epson call Traditional Photo Paper here in Australia which is the same as Exhibition Fiber Paper in the USA I can get extreme fogging / chemical reaction from spraying with Print Shield under certain conditions. I do not think this paper is a true Baryta paper but has the same type of surface.

I have found that you need to allow the prints to breath at least 48 prior to spraying. If it is a heavy ink print such as solid black background and such you will need to let the prints breath up to 5 days to avoid any reaction. A pain if you are printing to a deadline, but better that then the result of the bad spray reaction.

As I said I have not tested the Photo Rag Baryta with Print Shield yet but it could be the same reaction to the Glyco  sp? gassing of the inks.

Cheers
Brent Daniels

Light Seeker

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:36:46 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Did it finally clear?  I see that pretty often with Glamour & Clearshield when I roller coat canvas test strips. . .  Have never seen it fail to clear completely. . .
No, it has not cleared up. Seems about the same in fact.

The test image is a portrait of a young couple. The fogging occurs in parts of the gray backdrop, on her hair (brunette), on her ear and over a dark green sweater.

Quote from: Brent Daniels
However with what Epson call Traditional Photo Paper here in Australia which is the same as Exhibition Fiber Paper in the USA I can get extreme fogging / chemical reaction from spraying with Print Shield under certain conditions. . . .

I have found that you need to allow the prints to breath at least 48 prior to spraying. If it is a heavy ink print such as solid black background and such you will need to let the prints breath up to 5 days to avoid any reaction.
This may be the issue. However, I have sprayed Hanemuhle Fine Art Baryta before, with no issues. I've done the same with Harman Glossy FB, Ilford Galerie Gold and the Innova fiber based gloss papers. The only difference is that these were printed on an Epson 2200. The 3800 used for the Photo Rag Baryta prints is less than a week old.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Terry.

tived

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:40:55 am »

Quote from: Light Seeker
I just sprayed PremierArt Print Shield onto a couple of Hahnmehule Photo Rag Baryta prints. I was surprised to see some "fogging" artifacts on the image. I've use Print Shield on a number of gloss papers in the past, and I've never had any issues. The prints were made on a 3800.

Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone tried Print Shield on Photo Rag Baryta, or Photo Rag Pearl for that matter?

Terry.

Hi terry,

On a side note, how are you otherwise finding the PhotoRag Baryta paper?

I am interested in knowing, in terms of print and handling

thanks

Henrik

Light Seeker

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:08:36 pm »

Quote from: tived
Hi terry,

On a side note, how are you otherwise finding the PhotoRag Baryta paper?

I am interested in knowing, in terms of print and handling
Henrik. . . .  I can only provide limited feedback today. I have been using Hahnmehule's on-line profile and I find the ink density to be light. I did a quick and dirty profile last night and I'm now seeing the colour saturation I would expect. I printed the full set of profile patches last night and I will read them tonight and resume my testing. I had run across some posts saying that Photo Rag Baryta was less vivid that Photo Rag Satin. Perhaps this on-line profile is the reason why. Interestingly, a Fine Art Baryta profile I downloaded was fine.

I had tested Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Harmon Glossy FB Al and Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta on my 2200. Images printed on the Harman and Hahnemuhle papers had a 3 dimensional quality to them, which I really liked. The Ilford did not, so I set it aside. My 2200 caused pizza wheel marks on the Harmon so in the end I decided to work with the Fine Art Baryta.

I quite liked the Fine Art Baryta but after getting some feedback I decided to look for a paper with a warmer base and possibly a smoother surface. Then I discovered Photo Rag Baryta, and I ordered a box when I upgraded my 2200 to a 3800 (last week).

I find the Photo Rag Baryta paper base indeed warmer, and very nice. It is less stiff than the Fine Art Baryta, and feeds easily from either the paper tray or rear feeder on my 3800. The surface is also smoother, but it still has some texture. I have not had any pizza wheel marks from my 3800, which I assume is due to this minimal texture.

I will be able to begin properly comparing images when my profile is built, and I'll let you know my thoughts on image quality then.

Terry.

mrkahn

• http://www.malcolmkahn.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:30 pm »

To add my 2 cents...I used the Ilford GFS and was happy with it until I tried the Fine Art Baryta.  I've been converted.  It is much warmer and has much less relection.  B&W is much better...IMHO.  Feel is much richer rag type of paper.  I love it.  Printing on a 9900 with customer profile.

Malcolm
Pages: [1]   Go Up