Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4: super slow? what's going on?  (Read 14557 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
CS4: super slow? what's going on?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »

In Bridge CS4, go to Edit>Preferences>File Type Associations and change the association for PSD, TIFF, JPG to Photoshop CS3. Check that the same has been done in your OS file associations (don't know where this is on a Mac). Then whenever you open one of those kind of files through Bridge, it will trigger Photoshop CS3. The other thing you can do is open Photoshop CS3 before you open any images. Once CS3 is open, any images you open will open in CS3 (at least it works that way in Windows - you can try likewise on your Mac). But alas, if you want to keep Bridge CS4, you will have to keep Photoshop CS4.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kevs

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 01:39:14 am »

Thanks Mark, good tip with Bridge. Having hell of a time getting the default on the Mac OS to switch to CS3 though. Maybe someone else knows what to do.  The Mac file into dropdown keeps reverting back to CS4
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:47 am »

Quote from: kevs
But I now cannot uninstall CS4 photoshop becuase Adobe, chain links Bridge CS4 ( which I love) , to uninstallin PHotoshop CS4
Isn't it time to try uninstalling the whole CS4 suite, as advised, and reinstalling it to see if it corrects the problems you're experiencing ?

sniper

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:09:04 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
Wayne, my machine is higher-spec'd than what you mention and I'm finding the program slow. What do you mean by on-board graphics?

The built in video card, not a proper graphics card really, it won't even run a decent monitor lol, but CS4 works fine, supprising enough, thats why we havent bothered updating it, we are replacing with Macs as we go along.  It's a Dell dimension, about 8 year old, bottom of the range then.  Wayne

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:10 am »

Quote from: sniper
.............. CS4 works fine, supprising enough, thats why we havent bothered updating it, we are replacing with Macs as we go along.  ..........

Consider yourselves fortunate.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 09:08:37 am »

Thanks Mark, good tip with Bridge. Having hell of a time getting the default on the Mac OS to switch to CS3 though. Maybe someone else knows what to do.  The Mac file into dropdown keeps reverting back to CS4

The same thing happens on Windows XP. Somehow or other as long as CS4 is installed on the system, the system will select it as the default imaging application over CS3, unless you are opening a file through Bridge with the file associations set to CS3. For example, when I'm using Lightroom and then exporting the image to PS, I need to open CS3 before I start with LR, so that the image will open in CS3 rather than CS4 upon export. Whichever app you have open first is the one that will host the images - in effect over-riding the penchant of the O/S to select CS4 by default.

kevs

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 12:48:40 pm »

Ok Mark,
Just did what you said. Well first I went into Bridge preference and changed all preferences for jpeg, tiff, and psd to CS3.
Then in bridge opened a tiff and CS4 still launched.
so then I forced quit CS4, and launched CS3 manaully. They opened up a tiff and it opened in CS3.
But when I went to find to try to change all files to open in CS3, CS4 is still listed as default and it wont change.
It like this stubborn Mac thing that wont let CS4 not be the king or something

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 01:38:30 pm »

Sounds as if the Mac is just a bit more stubborn than Windows with this software. Beats me why. So the workaround is just to launch CS3 before doing anything.

kevs

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »

Yes that is it Mark,
Just got info that Mac defalts to the last version installed, so I "may" uninstall CS3 and reinstall it -- but such a hassle

Of course, the I would have CS3 bridge as my default which I don't want. I want the CS4 version of bridge!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 09:21:50 pm »

Yup it is a hassle - moving all the preferences, actions, presets, shortcuts; and even before one gets there, if you've already installed the same CS3 copy on a another computer (e.g. laptop) it's likely you would have to call Adobe and get it re-activated.

kevs

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 01:16:46 am »

You just reminded me it may not be worth the hassle. Only Adobe right? Who else puts out an upgrade with very few important new features that require a $3500 hardware upgrade to work properly?  And then don't allow one to unistall it without also uninstalling the sister app (Bridge) which does not require an upgrade in hardware

Farmer

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 01:48:33 am »

You just reminded me it may not be worth the hassle. Only Adobe right? Who else puts out an upgrade with very few important new features that require a $3500 hardware upgrade to work properly?  And then don't allow one to unistall it without also uninstalling the sister app (Bridge) which does not require an upgrade in hardware

Hmmm, amount of money spent to upgrade my system to work with CS4 from CS3:

$0-

There are plenty of people running CS4 on systems with specs such as yours.  Have you contacted Adobe for assistance?  Have you considered there might be something else on your system conflicting or causing issues?  When was the last time you did a clean install of your system?

Even for a Mac, you sure don't need to spend that kind of money to get a new one that will run CS4 smokingly well.

Bridge is a related application - yeah it's a bit annoying to have to uninstall it to uninstall PS but really, so what?  Do it and then reinstall Bridge - is that really such a difficult proposition?

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but you're making a mountain out of a molehill and engaging in an awful lot of hyperbole.
Phil Brown

kevs

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 01:23:12 pm »

Phil,
Thanks for you post.

It helped in no way though.

Bridge cannot install by install by itself, it must install with Photoshop.

I have investigated this, and CS4, will not work speedily without a fill new computer upgrade.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up