Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4: super slow? what's going on?  (Read 14569 times)

kevs

CS4: super slow? what's going on?
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:13:57 pm »

I'm in CS4, and I'm painting white on a black layer mask, and I'm getting thirty second delays between my brushstoke and it taking effect? What going on???

CS4 is advertised as being much faster than CS3. I went back to CS3 and the speed is fine/normal in CS3.

Also bizarre is the brushstokes in CS4 look like this (click new window):
http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1yof.jpg

As opposed to CS3, which look normal like this:

thanks
--
CS4
mac/10.4.12
G5 dual 1.8
Canon 5D
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

kevs

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:14:52 pm »

Sorry, the CS3 link is this:

http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2m.jpg

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »

Quote from: kevs
I'm in CS4, and I'm painting white on a black layer mask, and I'm getting thirty second delays between my brushstoke and it taking effect? What going on???

CS4 is advertised as being much faster than CS3. I went back to CS3 and the speed is fine/normal in CS3.

As opposed to CS3, which look normal like this:

thanks
--
CS4
mac/10.4.12
G5 dual 1.8
Canon 5D

First of all, that "Image Shack" website tried to store all kinds of irrelevant cookies on my computer and introduced pop-ups for computer games in which I have zero interest. I intensely dislike such websites.

Now to your problem - yes CS4 is more resource intensive than CS3 and bogs down many computers. Well known issue by now. Adobe has a publication telling us how to optimize our computers (be it Mac or PC) for use with CS4. There are other threads on this Forum discussing this issue as well. One of the suggestions is to disable OpenGL if you have not done so already. Also, make sure your scratch disk is on a separate physical drive from the system drive. One computer system engineer I know recommended to me that a 64 bit computer with 4 cores and 8 GB of RAM would solve CS4 speed issues. As to the brush behaviour, I've seen delays, and incomplete brush formation (the tool tip itself), but not the wonky results you illustrate.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kevs

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:55:26 pm »

Mark,
appreciate it, glad this is a known issue. It's totally outrageous as far as I'm concerned.
If you have a better link site than Image shack let me know. I will switch immediately.

Where do I shut down the open GL? Never heard of that.

I have scratch drive on external drives.

CS3 is working fine.

If this GL thing does not solve it, then I will have to revert back to CS3.

The idea I would have to revert back to a previous software of a major software is beyond coprehension.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »

" computer system engineer I know recommended to me that a 64 bit computer with 4 cores and 8 GB of RAM would solve CS4 speed issues."

It's almost a comic statement, although I do appreciate the reality of it.  Does Adobe give me a 50% couple for the $3000.00 upgrade?

They advertise this $200 upgrade as being much faster. But they forget to put some fine print you will have to upgrade your G5 now, not in six months or a year, now.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:12:55 pm »

Kev, you'll find a complete primer on optimizing CS4 for Mac OS here: Optimize PS CS4-Mac. I use Windows so I'm not sure where to direct you about OpenGL for Mac, but most likely it is explained in this document.

No, what the computer scientist told me was not a joke - he meant it. Nor is Adobe misleading anyone. In principle, the program may well be faster than CS3 - provided of course you have the horsepower to operate it efficiently - and don't look at their minimum system requirements, because minimum doesn't mean optimal. It is perfectly normal for hardware to become dated by the evolution of applications. Would you consider running OSX on a 1986 MacPlus? I have CS4 downloaded and installed, but I'm also using CS3 - works better, and I have a dual-core with 2 Xeon 5160 3 GHz processors - but 32 bit system limited to 3 GB of useful RAM. So I'm facing the same issue and so far decided there isn't enough value-added in CS4 to make a computer up-grade worthwhile.

But what I've understood out of all this - and worthwhile thinking about - Adobe has embarked on a new path for Photoshop with this release. They will no doubt be continuing down this road in the future. At the same time that they are aiming ti simplify how the program works, they are also adding nifty new features which may well be resource-intensive. So at some future up-grade it will have accumulated to the stage where one WANTS enough of the new stuff that a new computer will become inevitable. There are only so many times in life when 200 bucks buys you a lot of value-added. We had that migrating through 7>CS.CS2>CS3. Now the real value:cost equation is changing.

lightstand

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
I'm not sure where to direct you about OpenGL for Mac, Prefences
Not sure if this is the dialog box you are looking for but within the Photoshop's Preferences under the Photoshop menu General then to Performance to turn off OpenGL also make sure that your Scratch Disk listed in the number one position has lots of space & is not the disk running the OS

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »

Yes, same path in the Windows version.

kevs

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 11:52:36 pm »

The GL box is greyed becuse I don't have a card made in last 2 years. So I'm out of luck. I understand what you are saying, but it's still BS, never had to try to return a major software upgrade.  Adobe is really at fault here.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:44 am »

The GL box is greyed becuse I don't have a card made in last 2 years. So I'm out of luck. I understand what you are saying, but it's still BS, never had to try to return a major software upgrade.  Adobe is really at fault here.

No, you are not "out of luck" because if the box is greyed OpenGL is NOT enabled as it can't be operated on your graphics card.

And no, what I'm telling you is not BS, and no again, Adobe is not at fault. I think you simply have to face the fact that your hardware is dated relative to the most recent software. There is nothing particularly unusual about this and nothing to blame on anyone. It's called "technological progress", and yes, unfortunately it costs money. A Mac G5 is several generations (in computer-time) old by now. I've been through three computers in the past 10 years and I'm a slower adopter than would be optimal. The next leap for me will have to be 64-bit and a doubling of RAM and GPU capacity.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:31:35 pm »

Can't really tell with your image upload cause both look the same to me but the brush strokes you are showing are extremely complex and rendered textures...is that what you are intending to paint with? Have you tried painting with a simple gaussian brush?

BTW, any particular reason you posted this question in the Color Management forum? Wrong place for it...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:32:31 pm by Schewe »

kevs

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 10:53:46 pm »

Thanks Jeff,
the brush I'm using for both screenshots is excatly the same, just the Photoshop brush, I tripled checked, so don't know what that bizarre pattern is any more than you do. that's why I posted it.

I posted here because it was my best guess based on the subject matter. I would recommend starting a forum called, "Photoshop"
I know there are others out there but it would fit it in fine on the LL.

I'm on a four-five year old G5 dual 1.8.
It fine except for this issue. It's got several years of life. I'll not killing it for CS4.
I'm returning the software.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:06:05 pm »

I'm not dumping my computer just yet either - but it means I either suffer the slower performance of CS4 or do without the new features, or some of both. For now I've largely chosen the latter, so I'll keep CS4 on tap - it's still useable even if a bit hobbled, when I really want to access a new feature. At some point my hardware and software will have to get into sync!

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 04:18:48 am »

What that's showing is that you're "painting" with the pattern stamp tool, not a brush.
The bubble pattern you're seeing is the default texture for the pattern stamp tool.

So either you are hitting the button below the brush in CS4's toolbar, or somehow CS4 is using the pattern stamp instead of the brush.
One is basic user error, the other maybe far more awkward to resolve. It's unlikely to be anything to do with the openGL issue unless that's involved with the pattern stamp display.
I'm no Mac guru, so someone else will have help with the detailed rectification, but a start might be to try uninstalling and reinstalling CS4 and adding the 11.0.1 update, that might resolve the issue.

I'm using CS4 11.0.1 on Windows XP here and have absolutely no problems with painting on masks, with or without using the pattern stamp, even on a small lowly specified netbook.

kevs

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:24:35 pm »

R,
Maybe you are right. It could be a bug that it's painting with pattern stamp even though I have set to brush. That said, I'm unintalling CS4 enterirely and going back to CS3 so it's a moot point for now.

kevs

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 04:09:56 pm »

Seemed to have hit another roadblock.
I went to uninstall CS4, but Adobe seems to have chaine linked Bridge (which I want to keep) to uninstalling with CS4.

Any ideas on this? and what think about this?

They are such different apps, I can't fathom my Adobe forces Bridge to unintall with PHotoshop

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:46:18 pm »

It comes as a package. If you like Bridge CS4 version much better than the CS3 version (I do - it performs faster), you may wish to reconsider returning the software. You may also find other things in CS4 that appeal to you as you work on with it. Have you read Ben Willmore's "Up to Speed" book for CS4 yet? It's a very compact and inexpensive way to get a thorough overview of everything that's new in this up-grade, and one you read it you would have a better basis for deciding whether you should return it.

sniper

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:00:40 pm »

64 bit computer with 4 cores and 8 GB of RAM  is pretty high spec even in 2009, it's certainly not your average new PC spec, which should run PS fine.
As an example we still have one old dell running CS4 fine with 1.25 gb ram, and a pentium 4 processor, it's a little slow opening (lots of plugins/actions) but works fine after that, and thats with the onboard graphics.   Wayne

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »

Wayne, my machine is higher-spec'd than what you mention and I'm finding the program slow. What do you mean by on-board graphics?

kevs

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »

I do have up to speed. Love that series. Ben Willmore --Can't live without it.

Love BRide CS4.  Can't stand PHotoshop CS4.

But I have  another issue.

My mac is defaulted to CS4. The change info (command i)   will not, I repeat, will not change to CS3, as long as CS4 is installed.

But I now cannot uninstall CS4 photoshop becuase Adobe, chain links Bridge CS4 ( which I love) , to uninstallin PHotoshop CS4
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up