Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Professional Satin Photo Paper Problem  (Read 1825 times)

monkeybusinessimages

HP Professional Satin Photo Paper Problem
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »

I am getting a recurring problem that is costing me a fortune doing re prints to get it right.

When I print, for example, a black and white portrait, I am noticing white spots in areas which looks like the paper underneath. They are very noticeable when doing B & W. Could this be dust on the paper before printing? It comes straight off the roll so you would expect it to be clean.

I am also noticing small dents/scratches in the paper, should i expect small imperfections on a large roll?

Thanks

Dan

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »

It can be dust or specks on the surface, or if the roll/sheets are defective in the process, they can have some splatters of something that repels the inks leaving a clear dot.

The earliest rolls had some problems , not sure if it was this or other surface defects.

The roll I still have had no such defects.

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:59:09 pm »

Quote from: monkeybusinessimages
I am getting a recurring problem that is costing me a fortune doing re prints to get it right.

When I print, for example, a black and white portrait, I am noticing white spots in areas which looks like the paper underneath. They are very noticeable when doing B & W. Could this be dust on the paper before printing? It comes straight off the roll so you would expect it to be clean.

I am also noticing small dents/scratches in the paper, should i expect small imperfections on a large roll?

Thanks

Dan

See if you can get another roll of material from a different lot #( from a different vendor if need be). Chances are good that you have a bad batch.

Do you see this with any other material?
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

monkeybusinessimages

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:40:15 am »

I have had this problem with previous rolls. Its only ever on this finish though.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives, preferably similar or cheaper in price.

Do the HP papers work best with the printer? or should i look into other manufacturers?

I was thinking about giving the paper a spray with those cans of air that you clean camera lenses with, with this leave any residue?

Thanks for you responses.

Dan

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:11:23 am »

There are other OEM and third party satin type papers that are good too such as Epson Premium Lustre, but I do feel the HP PRo Satin is the best I've seen. If you have a defective batch have it replaced under warranty. The paper is manufactured by a third party over which they have specified the paper but do not quality control themselves. Hence , if you have a problem it's best to give the warranty a chance, as you shouldn't have these problems. When you do then by doing so, the information helps other customers by having the issues sorted by HP. In turn depending on frequency , it will then be taken care of internally.

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:09:54 am »

I have done a lot of work on this cheaper satin photo paper
if using roll paper the cutters sometimes become blunt and break rather than cut the coating on the paper. This creates small flackes giving similar problems to those you describe
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet
Pages: [1]   Go Up