Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color shift in Aperture  (Read 13604 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Color shift in Aperture
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:28:19 pm »

I'm seeing a mild color magenta shift onscreen in Aperture, compared with a version exported and opened in Photoshop (AdobeRGB, 16 bit), or the same RAW opened in ACR, or opened in Iridient RAW Developer. Printing from either Aperture or Photoshop gives the same result - neutral, no shift, so it is screen only (so can't be a white balance issue)

My system is well calibrated, and my reference monitor is a hardware calibrated Quato 240 LE.

Has anybody else had a similar experience ?

(Mac G5 2.5Ghz, OS X 10.5.5, ATI Radeon X800 XT)
--
David Mantripp

dogear

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »

Quote from: drm
I'm seeing a mild color magenta shift onscreen in Aperture, compared with a version exported and opened in Photoshop (AdobeRGB, 16 bit), or the same RAW opened in ACR, or opened in Iridient RAW Developer. Printing from either Aperture or Photoshop gives the same result - neutral, no shift, so it is screen only (so can't be a white balance issue)

My system is well calibrated, and my reference monitor is a hardware calibrated Quato 240 LE.

Any particular camera?
--Scott

Richard Marcellus

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:06 pm »

I don't see any colour shift when comparing Aperture with images exported to PSCS3 (16bit Adobe RGB). I use an iMac with a Spyder calibrated screen. I am not sure what would cause this. Have you tried redoing your display profile?

Richard

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:37 pm »

Two things come to mind:

1. Any chance you've left "on-screen proofing" on in Aperture?

2. If you are running two monitors then make sure that the monitor you use for Aperture is selected as the default display in ColorSync.  If it isn't then that can lead to problems in certain of Aperture's image previews (e.g. Aperture uses the wrong display profile; this is a system wide Colorsync issue in different programs.)

--
Web Site
Blog
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:05:09 pm by JonRoemer »

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:47:30 am »

Thanks everybody for the prompt replies - so there ARE still Aperture users in the wild :-)

Quote from: JonRoemer
2. If you are running two monitors then make sure that the monitor you use for Aperture is selected as the default display in ColorSync.  If it isn't then that can lead to problems in certain of Aperture's image previews (e.g. Aperture uses the wrong display profile; this is a system wide Colorsync issue in different programs.)

That nailed it.  I had no idea that this was an issue.  Learn something new every day!

Thanks Jon - nice website, by the way. I'll spend some there later today...
--
David Mantripp

JonRoemer

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:09:38 am »

Thanks everybody for the prompt replies - so there ARE still Aperture users in the wild :-)

That nailed it.  I had no idea that this was an issue.  Learn something new every day!

Thanks Jon - nice website, by the way. I'll spend some there later today...

Thanks.

I came across this a month or two ago myself when I changed from two ACD's to one ACD + an NEC wide gamut display.  From my understanding it's a Colorsync OS 10.5.x issue the affects most, if not all, programs that can use two monitors (even if you are only using one to review images.)

stsk

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:58:24 pm »

Quote from: JonRoemer
Thanks.

I came across this a month or two ago myself when I changed from two ACD's to one ACD + an NEC wide gamut display.  From my understanding it's a Colorsync OS 10.5.x issue the affects most, if not all, programs that can use two monitors (even if you are only using one to review images.)

Am I correct in assuming this is only a problem if you have not profiled every attached display?

JonRoemer

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:58:31 pm »

Quote from: stsk
Am I correct in assuming this is only a problem if you have not profiled every attached display?

No, you are not correct.

Desmond

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:12:32 am »

I experienced colour shift also on my Acd 20", attached to Macbook. Problem solved when after I set the ACD, instead of the Macbook mon, as default display in the ColorSync.

Desmond
Regards,

Desmond

benInMA

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

Does this mean only one of the monitors can ever be correct and you have to restrict viewing to that screen?

Desmond

Color shift in Aperture
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »

Fotrunately not. After the external cinema display was set as default display in colorsync both monitors work normally.
Regards,

Desmond
Pages: [1]   Go Up