Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enchanted forest and rocks  (Read 3070 times)

Christos Andronis

• Christos Andronis Photography
Enchanted forest and rocks
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:33:34 pm »

Hello everyone! These two images are from a recent visit to mount Taygetus in southern Peloponnese, Greece. There was a steady drizzle that day, so everything was wet and, therefore, colours were highly saturated. I managed to stay there for an hour before  the rain got heavier. However, the atmosphere was really "magical", hence the title of my post.

Comments and critique would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Christos

[attachment=12192:C1_CA_MG_3943.jpg] [attachment=12193:C1_CA_MG_3907.jpg]

Roy Money

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »

Quote from: candron
Hello everyone! These two images are from a recent visit to mount Taygetus in southern Peloponnese, Greece. There was a steady drizzle that day, so everything was wet and, therefore, colours were highly saturated. I managed to stay there for an hour before  the rain got heavier. However, the atmosphere was really "magical", hence the title of my post.

Thanks in advance,

- Christos

[attachment=12192:C1_CA_MG_3943.jpg] [attachment=12193:C1_CA_MG_3907.jpg]
Hi Christos.  Thanks for sharing these.  I like the second one much more because the water provides a more dynamic element because of the stonger diagonal element and more contrast with the environment where there is much lush detail in the forrest flloor.  The first one seems too close and too busy for my taste.  I think the rushing water needs more context to work its special effect.  The pictures do suggest a magical place and a plce I would love to photograph also.
Roy

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:26 pm »

Quote from: candron

Thanks in advance,

- Christos
Christos,

The second one is definitely more to my liking. The exposure for the water is nice.

Its hard to verbalize, but I think the water needs to occupy more of the photo. I "want" to see more of the water, I am "drawn" to it in the photo, but there just is not enough of it.
Maybe a cropped version?

Christos Andronis

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:11:28 pm »

Thank you both for your comments.

Joe: I have tried cropping the second image, however, I feel that it looses its context and this sense of "magic" I mentioned in my opening post.

I will try to post more photos from this place in the near future.

- Christos

ProPhotoInsights

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

Hi Christos,
Greece my favourite place on earth !
It's always difficult when viewing images online but I think your second image needs a contrast boost as it looks a bit flat to me.Maybe a global one then followed by a selective contrast on rocks in foreground.
Your images of Meteora look nice one of the places I plan to visit and shoot.
Cheers,
Simon
www.ProPhotoInsights.Net
Digital Photography Tutorials
"Step Behind The Scenes On Pro Photo Shoots"

www.plantphoto.com

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 04:43:49 am »

The second one is also my favourite... I also wished that water would a more important feature of your photo. I quite like the damp atmosphere and the soft lighting. Did you take the same scene with different framing?
Francois

Christos Andronis

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:32 am »

Quote from: ProPhotoInsights
Hi Christos,
Greece my favourite place on earth !
It's always difficult when viewing images online but I think your second image needs a contrast boost as it looks a bit flat to me.Maybe a global one then followed by a selective contrast on rocks in foreground.
Your images of Meteora look nice one of the places I plan to visit and shoot.
Cheers,
Simon

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the kind words! Your suggestions about contrast boost are valid and I'll certainly give them a try. Meteora is really worth visiting and one can get amazing photos there. Try to avoid going in the summer (gets too hot) and in the season around the Greek Easter (too many tourists).

- Christos

Christos Andronis

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:02:52 am »

Quote from: francois
The second one is also my favourite... I also wished that water would a more important feature of your photo. I quite like the damp atmosphere and the soft lighting. Did you take the same scene with different framing?

Hello Francois,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I don't have the same scene with different framing (or with more water  ) but it seems that I will have to re-visit the area. I am glad that you liked the atmosphere and lighting of the scene.

- Christos

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:07:33 am »

A beautiful spot.

I like the second one a lot - it's hard to tell the ultimate quality on-line, but what's there looks well shot.

John R

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:46:26 am »

The second image looks fine to me. The light is a touch darker, I think, because of the overcast light. Can't be helped, except to try some PP. The first image somehow does not resonate with me. It may be because the flowing water does not allow the colours and definition of the leaf to come through in a way that aids the overall design. But I still like your style.

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up