Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ-18 Download  (Read 38366 times)

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 10:59:44 am »

Quote from: Chrissand
It does not really surprise me that there are some folk having problems downloading this file. I am always 'pushing the envelope' and the Madagascar file is about 200 mb larger than any file I have placed in a product. In these days of web 'traffic shaping', my guess is that certain ISPs are going to cut off or slow a single connection after a certain amount of data usage; and once a connection to our server goes inactive, that connection will be cut off after 30 minutes.

Most problems are probably due to local ISPs. I have really never had any problems, with this segment or earlier VJ, here in Norway.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

alain

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 03:10:40 pm »

No download problems here, but the download speed is capped by the LLVJ site to 200KB/s, 700MB take's quite some time.  Maybe capping at a higher speed would give less problems...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »

No cap for me, I got them all at better than 5x that speed.  Your cap is your connection.

alain

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:05 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
No cap for me, I got them all at better than 5x that speed.  Your cap is your connection.

Just downloaded at more than 4x times faster from another website, the cap on my connection is still higher btw.   There could be a cap somewhere inbetween, but it was exactly 200 for the Madagascar video.

kaelaria

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »

That's what I said.  I didn't say your ISP.  Somewhere between you and them - but it's definitely not them specifically.

alain

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 02:53:20 am »

That's what I said.  I didn't say your ISP.  Somewhere between you and them - but it's definitely not them specifically.

While it's possible, I would be surprised.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:58 am »

There is no imposed speed limit on the LuLa servers - they will fire out whatever the net will take to the limits of the equipment.

There is one rare exception which I welcome    - if there are more than 100 simultaneous download connections, the speed will be pulled back to 200 KB/s to allow as many 'reasonable' connections as possible. This has only happened once that I am aware of: when we introduced the Lightroom 2 Tutorial and there has been a substantial equipment upgrade since then.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:02:00 am by Chrissand »

alain

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 05:59:46 pm »

Quote from: Chrissand
There is no imposed speed limit on the LuLa servers - they will fire out whatever the net will take to the limits of the equipment.

There is one rare exception which I welcome    - if there are more than 100 simultaneous download connections, the speed will be pulled back to 200 KB/s to allow as many 'reasonable' connections as possible. This has only happened once that I am aware of: when we introduced the Lightroom 2 Tutorial and there has been a substantial equipment upgrade since then.

Chris

I found my problem:  I had a rather small TCP IP RWIN (receive window) and the connection to LuLa has a higher latency than more local servers.  --> The LuLa server was waiting on ACK's from my PC.

I made the RWIN a lot higher (8x) and now a test download went more than 3x faster.

Thanks for the remarks, my internet expecience will be faster ;-)

BTW. I had to patch the old proximitron webfilter to do this + some changes inside the registry.

Alain

kaelaria

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 06:02:12 pm »

Surprise!  

alain

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »

Surprise!  
Indeed and not a nice one actualy, thanks for you're information the previous days

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 01:47:10 pm »

I purchased #18 about six months ago, but hadn't made time to view it.  Just watched it while on vacation last week. Wow! A few thoughts:

Antarctica - breathtaking. You guys really scored on the weather and the decision to move.  The scenery was so incredible and conditions perfect. Makes me want to go.

Madagascar - Having been a LL/MR fan for many years, I shouldn't be surprised that MR works out so many quality images, but what can I say? I see the simple scenery in the video, and then when MR captures the still frame... very inspirational.  A long time ago I had thoughts about catching up to MR's skills, but he keeps getting better, so it seems I'll never catch him.  

Field Backup - having been in the software/computer biz for 25 years, and valuing my images highly, I thought I was the backup king! I have the laptops, external drives, etc. How come I never thought of not reusing my CF cards on a trip? What a simple concept.  And always keep them on you. Even if your kit is swiped you'll still have the images. Brilliantly simple.

Dykinga - I haven't watched this one yet. I'm sure it will be great too.

Great job guys, I need to buy a few more VJ's.  Thanks for you great work.

Bob Towery
http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Bob
 ht
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up