Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ-18 Download  (Read 38364 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:12 am »

FYI I have just placed the HD & SD versions of LLVJ-18 in the L-L Store. The Madagascar piece will be at least a couple more weeks.

Tklimek

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:17 am »

Whooohooo!!!

Thanks Chris.....I've got 2 segments downloaded already....working on the whole set....two at a time.

Cheers buddy...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Chrissand
FYI I have just placed the HD & SD versions of LLVJ-18 in the L-L Store. The Madagascar piece will be at least a couple more weeks.

francois

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:51:58 am »

Thanks Chris! I'm downloading, one file - piece - at a time!
Francois

Tklimek

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »

Chris.....

I've watched all segments but the Dykinga segment and I must say I was most noticeably impressed by the video quality of the Antarctic segment.  Watching the HD version on my Dell 24 inch LCD in full screen mode was just beautiful!  Anything different in this LLVJ vs. others?

Nice job guys....

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47:23 pm »

Quote from: Tklimek
I've watched all segments but the Dykinga segment and I must say I was most noticeably impressed by the video quality of the Antarctic segment.  Watching the HD version on my Dell 24 inch LCD in full screen mode was just beautiful!  Anything different in this LLVJ vs. others?
Not really, the Antarctic video was shot in AVCHD on the Sony SR12. To my eye, this format seems to yield better low bitrate H264 .mp4 files than the obviously higher quality original HD files from the Sony EX1 reencoded for web download at the low bitrate.

A bit of a riddle, but somehow I think that since the originals from the SR12 are compressed in H264 (whereas the EX1 is compressed in Sony's proprietary EX format) it yields good results when re-encoded with the same codec. If that makes any sense to you!!  

The Spring RunOff piece was all Sony EX1 originals and requires a much higher bitrate in the web downloads to achieve good quality

Basically my theory is:
 H264 original > H264 web files = good low bitrate encodes
Sony EX original > H264 web files = need for higher bitrate

I could be wrong tho' - there are a lot of variables here. For instance there are a lot of blue or white areas in the Antarctic piece whereas the Spring RunOff is full of branches, moose hairs, rain, shallow DoF and other fine detail...

DarkPenguin

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »

So far it looks great and marks the first time that quicktime has actually played a LLVJ for longer than about 3 minutes before crashing.

wtlloyd

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:30:31 pm »

Chris - I've only had time to watch the Antarctica segment....Outstanding. Really captures the experience we had. This segment will be on my laptop for years to come....l

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »

Many thanks - that's great to hear!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:41:02 pm by Chrissand »

francois

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:11:10 am »

Quote from: wtlloyd
...This segment will be on my laptop for years to come....l
I second that...

Congrats, Chris!
Francois

Tklimek

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:57 am »

I think this Antarctica segment is so well made that I watched it again yesterday evening just for the enjoyment of it.....very well done!  Really REALLY makes me me want to save up my pennies (nickels, dimes, quarters, etc!!) for a future iteration of one of these trips.  Michael has a great narration voice for these travelogues.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: francois
I second that...

Congrats, Chris!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:46:15 am by Tklimek »

DarkPenguin

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:28:27 am »

I think this Antarctica segment is so well made that I watched it again yesterday evening just for the enjoyment of it.....very well done!  Really REALLY makes me me want to save up my pennies (nickels, dimes, quarters, etc!!) for a future iteration of one of these trips.  Michael has a great narration voice for these travelogues.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
I saw on Art Wolfe's blog that he is doing one in 2010.

Tklimek

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:35 pm »

Ummmmm......(Todd looking furtively over to the half full milk jug full of quarters....)....I may need a little more time than that to save up over $10k!

But I think I will make this one of my "lifes missions"....to accomplish sometime before I shuffle off.....which hopefully is still many, many years away.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I saw on Art Wolfe's blog that he is doing one in 2010.

Per Zangenberg

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 10:37:32 am »

I am a bit confused... In the shop it says the VJ18 is 3.3GB, but the download is less than 1.2GB???

DarkPenguin

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:29 am »

Ummmmm......(Todd looking furtively over to the half full milk jug full of quarters....)....I may need a little more time than that to save up over $10k!

But I think I will make this one of my "lifes missions"....to accomplish sometime before I shuffle off.....which hopefully is still many, many years away.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

There is always crime.

Also got a note from the Joseph Van Os Photo Safaris people that they're knocking $1k off their Antarctic trips.

michael

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:52:39 am »

Quote from: Per Zangenberg
I am a bit confused... In the shop it says the VJ18 is 3.3GB, but the download is less than 1.2GB???

There is a large Madagascar segment still to come.

Michael

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:29 am »

The 3.3GB figure was actually my error (a hangover from copying the LLVJ-17 product). Thanks for pointing it out. My guess is that the final size will not be much more than 2GB with the Madagascar segment.
Chris

Per Zangenberg

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:14:30 pm »

Quote from: michael
There is a large Madagascar segment still to come.

Michael

Thanks guys. This is the first VJ i have bought but after buying and watching the excellent Lightroom 2 videos (wich was worth every penny I might add, and really improved my knowledge of LR), I wanted to check out what the VJ's are all about so I am looking forward to wathcing this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:14:58 pm by Per Zangenberg »

Larry Brusso

LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:09:22 pm »

Hey Chris,
Thanks for LLVJ 18, I was jonesing man!  
Is it me, or is the color a little muted?
Michael, I heard that you down in my neck of the woods awhile back, Big Bend.
Is there going to be an LLVJ of your Big Bend trip?
Regards to all.

Larry

NikosR

• http://
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 01:19:58 pm »

Hi,

I ordered LLVJ18 download some hours ago, paid by CC, received the credit card receipt but not the second email I'm supposed to get. LLVJ18 still shows as being in my shopping basket and of course I can't download. Have sent an email to customersupport.

Any idea when I'll have any news?

Edit: Thanks for the support,problem solved.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:13:30 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

samirkharusi

• http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/
LLVJ-18 Download
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:48 am »

Not really, the Antarctic video was shot in AVCHD on the Sony SR12. To my eye, this format seems to yield better low bitrate H264 .mp4 files than the obviously higher quality original HD files from the Sony EX1 reencoded for web download at the low bitrate.

A bit of a riddle, but somehow I think that since the originals from the SR12 are compressed in H264 (whereas the EX1 is compressed in Sony's proprietary EX format) it yields good results when re-encoded with the same codec. If that makes any sense to you!!  

The Spring RunOff piece was all Sony EX1 originals and requires a much higher bitrate in the web downloads to achieve good quality

Basically my theory is:
 H264 original > H264 web files = good low bitrate encodes
Sony EX original > H264 web files = need for higher bitrate

I could be wrong tho' - there are a lot of variables here. For instance there are a lot of blue or white areas in the Antarctic piece whereas the Spring RunOff is full of branches, moose hairs, rain, shallow DoF and other fine detail...
First I'd like to agree that the Antarctic HD version does indeed look very good on my 70" screen, obviously better than any SD DVD I have viewed recently. Congrats for the recipe! I need to replace my tape based HD camera soon and have been holding back for AVCHD to mature. Seems as if it has? I am not overly concerned about large end files since I do not send out any HD via the web, but I am concerned by looooong overnight waits between having the original AVCHD files on my PC and being able to edit, e.g. is it still necessary to convert them to another codec (mpeg2 or whatever?) before editing, or are the editors these days able to edit AVCHD directly? You say that you retain the same codec, so presumably you work with AVCHD throughout, without converting at any time. Just wondering. I use Vegas for editing and so far I simply retain mpeg2 from my tapes throughout, but that does end up with very high bit rates (12GB per hour at 1080). AVCHD is much more compressive, but your end quality is also very impressive. If no loooong conversions are involved then I am about to purchase a hard-disc AVCHD camera soon...
Bored? Peruse my website: [url=http://ww
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up