Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago Epson Print Academy  (Read 4417 times)

Tklimek

Chicago Epson Print Academy
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »

Folks....

I attended the Epson Print Academy in Chicago yesterday and thought I would give my impressions.

For me, I thought it was very educational, inspirational, and very worth the price.

For the entry fee, you had access to the expo area where vendors were offering up some really sweet deals, 9:30 - 5 PM worth of listening and learning by some real cool and knowledgeable people, a lunch, and as an extra deal thrown in, the ability to look at some really cool prints set up in the expo area!

Although I don't remember the exact agenda and exactly who did what, I can tell you that our day started out with our very own (notice how I tie Andrew "Digital Dog" to our little forum here?  ;-) ) laying down the foundation for the day with a dicussion on Color Management.  Andrew is, ahem,.....somewhat knowledgeable on this subject (LOL), but actually is a really great guy and made this session INTERESTING.  This could have been a snoozer, but Andrew did a great job and laid the foundation for the day, because without proper color management everything else is wasted time.

Jeff Schewe gave us a soft-proofing demo from LR - PS - LR which including the actual printing of an image.  Hmmmmmm.....I can't WAIT to see LR v3 because I'm sure it will incorporate an end-all/be-all "kick-a**" softproofing function....yippee!!  I'm confident that it will incorporate all of the individual steps that must be done manually in Photoshop to make soft-proofing "really" work.

We saw a demo of some of the plug-ins from onOne software and excerpts from the video of Henry Wilhelm being interviewed by Michael Reichmann (as provided on this site previously).  An in person visit by Henry during this academy was a nice surprise, and probably due to his close proximity to the Chicago event.  During our lunch break, I was fortunate enough to meet Henry as he arrived on site.  What a super nice guy!  He is extremely generous with his time and talked to many different people.  I was having lunch with two photographers from Iowa when Henry showed up.  Turns out both of these gentlemen had purchased some of Henry's print washers from the old days...and Henry remembered them!  All in all it was very, very cool.  I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of Henry's book and he signed it for me at the end of the event.  Henry also pointed out Arnold Crane in the audience, an elder gentleman whose personal collection of photography through the ages was purchased by the Getty museum and formed the core of thier initial collection (if I understood these details correctly).

We also viewed a few videos of Jeff Schewe interviewing a different tech guys from Epson; they definitely seem very passionate about "getting it right" for photographers.

Also during lunch, I had a chance to check out the expo area where vendors were selling items with NO SALES TAX; my guess is that the tax was picked up them or Epson or someone...whatever...but meant that you could get a great deal.  IT Supplies had refurbished Epson 3800's there for $699!!  These came with a full inkset and a 1 year warranty....no tax!  That's a pretty good deal.  I picked up a box of 25 sheets of 8.5x11 Epson Exhibition Fiber for $40.....no tax!  I thought that was a pretty good deal too.

The other thing that I thought was really neat (for me) was a series of prints at the one end of the expo center; maybe about 15-20 of them.  There were all printed on an Epson 9900 with the HDR inkset; and all but one on Epson Exhibition Fiber; the lone exception being a portrait of Paris Hilton on Epson Premium Luster.  Wow.....that's about all I can say.  Each print had one or two Solux lights attached to them and as far as I'm concerned (I did ask a few others that were there as well)....these prints were "lights out" good.  I found myself going back on every break just to be mesmerized by their gorgeousness!!  Hmmm....maybe I need to get out more.  ;-)  Seriously, I found that these prints alone provided HUGE personal inspiration for me....maybe almost worth the price of admission alone because of the way it touched me personally to see creative potential.  Way cool...  Prints from Jay Maisel, a portrait OF Jay as well, Greg Gorman, Jeff Schewe, and I particularly liked John Paul Caponigro's piece which was an abstract with fantastic color from his "Reflections" collection.

After lunch we learned about printing from Photoshop and then John Paul Caponigro took us to the end of the session.  To be honest, I was very impressed (perhaps the most) by this last session.  I'm really not a Photoshop user and the techniques that JP effortlessly took us through started to give me that "glazed eye" kinda feeling.  But I think I enjoyed this segment the most.  JP's masterful use of the tools and his artistic vision really made this one special.  He's got at least one new fan because of that session and his amazing print on display in the expo area.

Throughout the event there were several raffles for various items; including an Epson 4880 which someone from our session won.  Giveaways included a signed copy of Henry's book, two poster prints (that were done onsite) by JP Caponigro, memory cards and readers and some Solux light bulbs.

I was able to attend this event because it was a gift to me from my very thoughtful wife for my birthday.....and what a great gift it turned out to be!  And although I'm not really a professional photographer, I did attend track two as I thought it would be the most fun.  I was not disappointed.  

To summarize, this participant had a great time, learned a lot, met some very interesting and very cool people, saw some truly inspirational work, and most importantly, came away invigorated and inspired to better my photography and prints.

I would attend next year in a heartbeat.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:31:25 pm by Tklimek »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:06:30 pm »

Todd,

Thanks for the detailed report. I attended the Boston event a couple of weeks ago, and your description fit it very well. I was tremendously impressed, and delighted to get to meet Andrew, Jeff, and JP in person. Henry wasn't there, but Eric Chan ("madmanchan") was, and I got to meet him, too. 

I have owned the first version of lightroom which I got free because I owned Raw Shooter Premium when it was bought out by Adobe. But I had never tried Lightroom, partly because I was afraid of the time and effort needed to learn yet another complicated piece of software. But Jeff's presentations (and a one-on-one chat) inspired me to upgrade and try it out. Of course I'm now working my way through the LL videos on LR2, and finding it quite manageable (and vastly superior to Photoshop interms of user interface and workflow). And thanks to Eric Chan I have now invested in a new Epson 3800 (rather than waiting any longer for my 2200 to die).

I'm glad I got to the Epson Print Academy before they cancelled them. Jeff, Andrew, and JP are all superb teachers!

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »

John Paul wasn't at the LA Print Academy and I was a little disappointed about that. He was the main person I had signed up to see. Could have done without the last hour of Mac Holbert's Photoshop tips truthfully, but then again I consider myself about as well-versed in Photoshop as you can get and I went to learn about printing, not Photoshop. It was enjoyable nonetheless.

One thing I think could have been covered more is a discussion about different types of paper. The only paper printed on was Exhibition Fiber, which has optical brighteners, and I would have liked to have heard the speakers discuss this compared to other papers on the market which don't have optical brighteners. As someone who makes prints for a living this is a very important topic to me, but it seemed as if the Print Academy was there only to promote the Epson paper. I had actually raised my hand a couple of times to ask about this subject but never had a chance to speak. Oh well, maybe next year.

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »

Sesshin....

I think there is definitely room for improvement, however I still feel that the value that was provided was very good.  It would have been nice to hear about the various different paper types within the Epson line and what some of these well known individual like to use for what.....and why.  As I mentioned; all of the prints on display were on Exhibition Fiber except the one of Paris Hilton; it would have been nice to hear the photographers comments on why he/she chose the Luster for this particular portrait.  In our session, JP did recommend the use of "Print Shield" to add durability to prints.

As far as using other brands papers......well....this IS the "Epson" print academy, so I can't really fault them for that!    

All in all, still a good value for me.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: sesshin
John Paul wasn't at the LA Print Academy and I was a little disappointed about that. He was the main person I had signed up to see. Could have done without the last hour of Mac Holbert's Photoshop tips truthfully, but then again I consider myself about as well-versed in Photoshop as you can get and I went to learn about printing, not Photoshop. It was enjoyable nonetheless.

One thing I think could have been covered more is a discussion about different types of paper. The only paper printed on was Exhibition Fiber, which has optical brighteners, and I would have liked to have heard the speakers discuss this compared to other papers on the market which don't have optical brighteners. As someone who makes prints for a living this is a very important topic to me, but it seemed as if the Print Academy was there only to promote the Epson paper. I had actually raised my hand a couple of times to ask about this subject but never had a chance to speak. Oh well, maybe next year.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:05:03 pm »

When I was starting out Kodak had tours that ended up in the far north (Vancouver, Toronto) and they are what changed the lives of us photographers there. Back in the days when Kodak were pushing Photo CD!

You are so fortunate to have the tours , in particular the Epson Print Academy where you meet the people who really care, are obviously extremely talented and knowledgeable , and teach well.

I have met some of the people listed here, and it is really an honour to have met them and participated with them. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts on these seminars, and thanks to those who host them.

GamutGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »

I attended the NYC Epson Print Academy and felt like it was a big ad for the new x900 printers. I was specifically interested in learning more about their color management workflow, but instead, they quickly spent 5-10 mins over the material and then covered Photoshop tips and tricks. As a photographer, I learned a lot from the event, but as a printer, I wish they covered more advanced print topics. Fortunately, I met other printers from the education industry at the event that were able to provide me with the information I was looking for. BTW, I attended the Advanced portion of the event and not the Beginner's section.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »

Quote from: GamutGirl
I attended the NYC Epson Print Academy and felt like it was a big ad for the new x900 printers. I was specifically interested in learning more about their color management workflow, but instead, they quickly spent 5-10 mins over the material and then covered Photoshop tips and tricks.

I seem to recall doing no less than 30 minutes just on color management first thing in the morning.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:32 pm »

I went to the New York session several months ago with a very specific list of the things I wanted to get a better grasp of. I am opening a new Canvas Gallery and I either have to be able to do everything myself or hire someone that knows most everything and then learn from them. It is tough finding someone that can post process,print,cut mats,scanning,photo restoration,marketing, canvas gallery wraps, framing,photography skills just to name a few. So to start you guessed it, I have to do it all myself and run a full time cabinetry business at the same time.
Back to the New York show. Very informative presentations by the absolute best crew you could put together. Just not the place to try and fill in the blanks I was trying to fill in. I have very specific things to learn and I will probably end up paying the $1,000 a day or more to have someone come to my facility sit down with my equipment and go over my list.  I pretty much knew this would happen but thought I would give it a shot anyway. Don't get me wrong,for most of the crowd they seemed generally pleased. It is an excellent presentation for the photography and printing enthusiest wanting to upgrade their skills to the next level. If I am going to charge people a fair amount of money to do photo restoration,proof and print their files plus all these other services I better have my ducks in a row and know what the heck I am doing.
Now I am a little gun shy about going to a 3 or 4 day master print class. For what a course like that costs having someone come to me is probably a whole lot smarter.
Dan Berg
www.bergscustomfurniture.com
www.bergscanvasgallery.com (coming in 2009)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:15:15 pm by Dan Berg »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:54 pm »

Quote from: sesshin
One thing I think could have been covered more is a discussion about different types of paper. The only paper printed on was Exhibition Fiber, which has optical brighteners, and I would have liked to have heard the speakers discuss this compared to other papers on the market which don't have optical brighteners. As someone who makes prints for a living this is a very important topic to me, but it seemed as if the Print Academy was there only to promote the Epson paper.

Originally, we were going to cover Epson's new lines of papers; including the hot/cold press watercolor papers with and without OBAs...but that's been delayed. So, since I was doing the printing during the sessions and I like Exhibition Fiber Paper, that's what I printed with. As for why one fellow had a print on Luster instead of EFP, I have no idea. As for talking about printing on non-Epson paper, well, I don't use non-Epson paper so it's not something that is something I need to deal with. Mac does a lot...too bad you didn't get the chance to as Mac about it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:13:22 pm by Schewe »

awsstudios

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:17:41 pm »

hi, Sounds like everyone is having a pretty good time at the academy. I wish i could attend

I had signed up for track 2 in denver, but there must not have been anyone besides me signed up for it. Or why was it cancelled?

Jeff  or andrew, when is the next Print academy going to be and any chance of having a session in denver, albuquerque, or SantaFe. or some place closer than texas or chicago for me. I also may have been able to attend at another city if i had known early enough that it was going to be cancelled.

Maybe next time

Thank you,
~andrew Scarborough

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:02 pm »

Quote from: awsstudios
hi, Sounds like everyone is having a pretty good time at the academy. I wish i could attend

I had signed up for track 2 in denver, but there must not have been anyone besides me signed up for it. Or why was it cancelled?

Jeff  or andrew, when is the next Print academy going to be and any chance of having a session in denver, albuquerque, or SantaFe. or some place closer than texas or chicago for me. I also may have been able to attend at another city if i had known early enough that it was going to be cancelled.

Maybe next time

Thank you,
~andrew Scarborough

Last week I was going to sign up for the upcoming Academy in Minneapolis on April 4th, but it wasn't listed anymore. I sent an email to Epson and they replied that it had been canceled. The day before I had planned to sign up I was talking to one of the salesman at the local camera store I frequent and we were discussing the Academy since his store was one of the exhibitors in the expo area. He had mentioned that the last communication he had seen concerning the Academy was back in September. The next day when I received the email about the cancellation, I called the salesman and he said he had just received an email from Epson stating that as of the first of April, the rest of the schedule(and for fiscal 2010 as well) had been canceled.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:01:09 pm »

Quote from: awsstudios

Epson's fiscal year ends March 31st...and yes for reasons of budget constraints, the remaining EPA's after Toronto next week ended being cut except for one last EPA which will be held in Vancouver, BC on May 23rd 2009. As far as I know, all 5 of the instructors will be there. SO far, that date hasn't been posted on the web site. We will also be doing mini 1/2 day EPAs at Photoshop World–Boston and, I presume, Las Vegas in Oct.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:01:42 pm by Schewe »

awsstudios

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 10:35:33 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Epson's fiscal year ends March 31st...and yes for reasons of budget constraints, the remaining EPA's after Toronto next week ended being cut except for one last EPA which will be held in Vancouver, BC on May 23rd 2009. As far as I know, all 5 of the instructors will be there. SO far, that date hasn't been posted on the web site. We will also be doing mini 1/2 day EPAs at Photoshop World–Boston and, I presume, Las Vegas in Oct.

Thanks for letting me know, i appreciate it
~andrew

tived

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:05:59 am »

Jeff,

Ever thought of coming down under? We could really do with a show tour like this, but then again, it would be a great excuse to go back to the states.

Food for thoughts

Henrik

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »

I really enjoyed the entire day.  Even though it was geared somewhat toward Epson products, the material helped me understand/confirm my workflow and picture management.  Epson along with others provided a great asset for the photography community.  Hope to have an oppurtunity to attend a similar event in the future.

Jim t
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:03:22 pm by jim t »

cyberworldsinc

• http://www.jackjohnsonphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:04 pm »

Jim T - Just took a look at your website - nice images of the area & nice project!

I went to the EPA in Chicago with a couple of friends - I'm from Beloit, and they're from Oregon WI & Rockford. We all greatly enjoyed it, too, even though I print with a Canon and use a Windows PC in addition to a Real Computer (by Jeff Schewe's definition... ;^D ).

- Jack
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:03:22 pm by cyberworldsinc »
Jack Johnson
[url=http://www.jackjohnson

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:53:33 pm »

Quote from: cyberworldsinc
Jim T - Just took a look at your website - nice images of the area & nice project!

I went to the EPA in Chicago with a couple of friends - I'm from Beloit, and they're from Oregon WI & Rockford. We all greatly enjoyed it, too, even though I print with a Canon and use a Windows PC in addition to a Real Computer (by Jeff Schewe's definition... ;^D ).

- Jack

I forgot to mention in my post I print with an ipf8100 since August.  The 7900/9900 was taking to long for me to come out.  I use a fake 8 bit printing computer as well. I edit in 16  

Jim t
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:03:56 pm by jim t »

cyberworldsinc

• http://www.jackjohnsonphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

The EPA made me really want to get some baryta papers to try on my ipf5100 - the prints they had on display were absolutely stunning.
Jack Johnson
[url=http://www.jackjohnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up