Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Wet Darkroom  (Read 11986 times)

studiocarter

New Wet Darkroom
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

Hi,

Just for the record there is a new wet darkroom on the block. It is 9 foot square and all painted black. Man, I can hardly see anything in there. The reason is because movie film will be printed, rolled out and so on; large format film will be loaded and this way, all black, less light will bounce around. There isn't ANY light that gets in there anyway! Course, you gotta be in Pgh PA to visit it. This one is being used. Two others are nearby but they are inert. Too old. Too late. Not available for use. A salesman at B&H said of my comment, mine will be the last darkroom made, "Well, maybe the NEXT to the last one."
When you gonna make yours? Why don't you list it here.

Michael      

vickko

New Wet Darkroom
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:53:29 pm »

I'm in the middle of making a darkroom in the basement.

The enlarger is a Leitz Focomat IIc.

ETA June 2010.

Vick

DanielStone

New Wet Darkroom
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:07 am »

mine gets made about 4x a week. I print/process 4x5 and 8x10 films in my parents 2nd bath while I'm at home away from school

contact printing only though for me .

but I process rollfilms in a jobo tank on a unicolor motorbase, same with all(35mm-8x10) c-41 films as well. Just heat the chems to *just(about 3 deg F)* over the 100F mark, and let 'er rip .

better than dip and dunk, and I don't have to pay extra for push/pull processing either . All c-41 chems are single shot. B/W for 8x10/4x5 is trays(usually about 8 sheets at a time for either) in abc pyro.

a simple setup that lets me get better than "done by a lab" results. And ALL fits into a nice tote that sits on the washer/dryer when I'm done.

-Dan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:30:35 am by DanielStone »

MikeHeywood

New Wet Darkroom
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:56:44 pm »

What a timely topic!  I am currently gathering the materials to build a darkroom in my basement.

I have been generously given most of the equipment including a near mint Saunders 4500II enlarger as well as an 8' plastic sink.  My room is about 8' x8' so it will be tight but that shouldn't be an issue.

I personally feel that there is going to be a small resurgence of interest in darkroom work especially seeing how much gear is available for cheap or even free!

It also helps that people like Ed Burtynsky have been so successful producing extremely large chromogenic prints.  I know his work has inspired me to look at colour printing again not just B&W.

Post some pictures of your darkroom!  I am taking photos of mine along the way and will share them as well.

Good luck!

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
New Wet Darkroom
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »

I am right now building mine again. It will only be for 4x5 BW film tray development only. I then scan and print on a 7600UC. I am not that happy with shadow info in this hybrid process. Incredible how huge and hires images can be made with a 250 bucks camera!

chassis

Re: New Wet Darkroom
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »

I'm setting mine up (again) also.   Have been inactive for 7 years, it's time to get going again.  Started 30+ years ago with 126 and 35mm.  Graduated to 6x6 and 6x7, and now making the move into 4x5.  All black and white.  Acquired a nice Beseler 45V-XL enlarger with nice lens complement, and waiting delivery of a nice Toyo 45AII with 150mm Nikkor.  Need to lightproof the darkroom, and get a set of BTZS tubes and I will be good to go.  Looking forward to it.  I have been dreaming of what subjects I will photograph with the new camera.  Probably family portraits and still life/landscapes around the neighborhood and local parks.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:42 pm »

I never gave mine up and never stopped using it though my commercial work went 100% digital 3-4 years ago.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:56 am »

I have really got to sort my Darkroom out, I can't get in it because a couple of years ago I saw another 5x7 Durst 138 floor standing enlarger go begging on ebay with all the extra bits and loads of lenses, so now I have two of these monsters. I tried selling one but had no takers, no way am I going to dump any of these, that is something neither of them deserve.
If anyone is setting up a darkroom there is no excuse for not having a top quality enlarger, they fetch so little. A good enlarger is worth every penny you spend, the even light spread, rock solid chassis and the best lenses will do justice to any print. The difference a decent enlarger makes to your printing enjoyment and quality of results is a big plus, get the best you can get and get a large format capable one even if you think you are only ever going to do 35mm.

Kevin.

www.treewithoutabird.com
Kevin.

Wseaton

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »

Leitz Focomat IIc > Durst  ;D

For small format work the Leitz were in a class by themselves for extracting every molecule of information from the neg. Never could get any other enlarger even close.

For MF / LF I stuck to dichros. Screw cold-lights and condensors for B&W, dichros were smoother, more tonal range and had infinite contrast adjustment on VC papers.

Back in oh, 95' or so we had a client bring us about half a dozen corporate 4x5 head shots on VPS III and wanted B&W prints. Panalure was still fiber based back them, and while some veterans bad mouthed the material it was awesome with the right tray development and low contrast negs. We turned off the safelights, ran those 4x5's through the durst dichros, and the 16 x 20 prints were jaw dropping good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up