Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ixpress multi-shot backs  (Read 8481 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 04:26:05 am »

A multishot back contains an additional module that will move the sensor by 1 pixel in multishot mode (0,5pixel in microstep mode). it will make something like a 'referenceshot' followed by 4 shots (in which the sensor  moves). Each color will be recorded separately and green twice (RGBG not sure in what specific order, I never took the effort to investigate that). This way there is no Bayer demosaicing necessary. The results will be, better colors, better sharpness and no artefacts that are typical with the Bayer method.

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 06:58:26 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
A multishot back contains an additional module that will move the sensor by 1 pixel in multishot mode (0,5pixel in microstep mode). it will make something like a 'referenceshot' followed by 4 shots (in which the sensor  moves). Each color will be recorded separately and green twice (RGBG not sure in what specific order, I never took the effort to investigate that). This way there is no Bayer demosaicing necessary. The results will be, better colors, better sharpness and no artefacts that are typical with the Bayer method.

sounds like great technology, but shouldn't this be standard on MF DB, or is the technology to expensive to make?
MY SITE: AL

DanielStone

ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 04:33:34 pm »

so far,

the only way to have PERFECT registration(from 4 or 16 shots) is to have the camera clamped down TIGHT to a studio stand or very stable tripod.

being able to shoot hand-held in 4-shot or 16-shot is utterly impossible.

the reasoning for not being able to get the best color accuracy out of single shot backs is because sensors aren't like film(film has multiple layers), where as sensors have different photosites which are sensitive to the primary colors (R,G,
EXCEPT the foveon sensors, which are layered designs.

so, each pixel is only able to capture its corresponding color from the spectrum(R=R, etc.)

moving the sensor itself by 1 pixel(multi-shot) or by 0.5pixel(micro-step), you get the ability for each "photo site" to record each color at each pixel

then the software merges all the files together to form a single file.

-Dan

DanielStone

ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »

Quote from:  Abdulrahman Aljabri
sounds like great technology, but shouldn't this be standard on MF DB, or is the technology to expensive to make?

this is why a lot of people who shoot product, automotive(from what I've found) and STATIC objects use the sinar M-S backs.

-Dan

Nick-T

ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

Quote from: DanielStone
this is why a lot of people who shoot product, automotive(from what I've found) and STATIC objects use the sinar M-S backs.

-Dan

The Ixpress backs (and I'm pretty sure the Sinars) do shoot single shot as well. It's good practise to always capture a single shot in case something moves in the shot. A fairly common approach would be for example shooting a model in a roomset, the room is captured as a multi-shot (no moire!) and then a bunch of singles are shot and the chosen frame layer masked in.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Efra1

ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 04:48:38 am »

Hi, do any know is the 384C Can be mounted on a RZ67 whit motro to shoot in multi shoot mode??
I know the multishot need a motorized camera, I already have the RZ67 but not the winder, but if that work I´ll look for one.

Best

Efra

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:57 am »

Quote from: Efra1
Hi, do any know is the 384C Can be mounted on a RZ67 whit motro to shoot in multi shoot mode??
I know the multishot need a motorized camera, I already have the RZ67 but not the winder, but if that work I´ll look for one.
To make multi-shot work, you need to check 2 things:

( a ) your lens must have an electronically controlled shutter to ensure that in each of the 4- or 16- multishots, each exposure duration is consistent, or very very similar to each other. If they vary more than a certain tolerance allowed for by the software, the multishot won't work.

( b ) check your RZ67 - for multishot to work well, you cannot afford any vibration that will knock the camera out of register from shot-to-shot. The mirror-lockup function must lock the mirror up, allow the 4 or 16 individual shots to be taken, then allowed to swing down AFTER all 4 or 16 shots have been exposed. If you find that the mirror bounces up and down between shots even with mirror lockup, then that is no use.

E.g., on the Bronica SQ-Ai, even if I select continuous mirror-lockup, the mirror still bounces up and down between shots, which renders it useless for multishot. Cameras like the Sinar Hy6 / Leaf AFi, the Mamiya 645 AFD series and the Hasselblad H3D all allow you to select mirror up, allow a whole series of shots to be taken while the mirror remains up and only swings back down again when you press the mirror lockup button again (or some similar procedure).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:49:29 am by shutay »

Efra1

ixpress multi-shot backs
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:51:36 am »

Ok, I´ll check all that things.
Thank you for the infoshutay.

Best

Efra1
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up