Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from a new user!  (Read 2761 times)

CharlesD

Hello from a new user!
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »

First off I'd like to introduce myself and send a little hello to everyone! I'm a digital photographer from Montreal doing his homework on MF before his purchase. I knew very little a while ago about this format, and even as I read threads here, I know I have many years of reading in front of me before I can honestly say that I know what I'm talking about. I sincerely hope to do a bit of that progress here on this board, seeing as inputs from people is much better than random readings around the web.

So after getting a degree in film school, I decided to take a break from all the teamwork and enjoy art by myself for a while. I scraped my pockets and got a Nikon D40 with a 50mm lens. Very versatile and surprising camera. I found myself shooting every night with friends, going on random roadtrips with a bunch of photographers and making a few bucks here and there. I'm having the time of my life. A lot more fun and intimate than cinema!

So I've reading a lot, experimenting, trying out new stuff, sketching compositions. I was looking for a cheap alternative to get bigger prints and finer details. Big digital cameras are way too expensive for me, so I looked into film cameras. I discovered MF cameras and snooped around for bargains. On the plus, while digital photography is great to experiment with, there just is something about film that makes it sacred. I want to WORK in order to get a good shot. Think hard, make mistakes, and get away a bit from all the LCD's and gadgets.

I found a nearly mint Hassy 500c (not c/m) with a 80mm planar f2.8, a 120 back and a light meter for 800$CAN. An old photographer I know told me to try and get the c/m instead so I could change the top screen. Seems like the old ones are darker and can be a pain to focus in low light situations. Could anyone confirm this? I want to use this camera as the final step, trying different stuff with my D40 until I know what I want, and then proceed to shoot it right with the Hassy. Scanning and printing isn't a problem since I'm working as a technician in a photo lab. I checked earlier today and our scanner supports 6x6 negatives and can scan up to 2900DPI. Would that be enough to get a fine 24x36 print?

I'm still doing my homework on MF, so bear with me if some questions seem stupid. I'm discovering a whole new realm of photography, and I'm loving it even more by the minute.

If anyone has a must-read article or book to propose on MF, I would be glad to take a look. I'm a very patient person and an avid reader!

Thank you for your time!
- Charles

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »

Bonjour, Charles, bienvenue!

The Hasselblad is a fine system.  I don't have any specific book recommendations for you, but in terms of day-to-day usage, I think you'll find quite a bit of knowledge around here, and reading past posts can give you a lot of personal experiences you won't get out of any other source.

Kind regards,
-Brad

-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:24:04 am »

Hi Charles and welcome to the list!  It's been a lot of years since I lived in Quebec... but it's definitely a beautiful place to be.  I love the old city in Montreal.  Feel free to poke around the forums here, then jump in!

Mike.

P.S.  Ernst Wildi (he wrote a number of manuals for Hasselblad V cameras) has a book out called 'The Medium Format Advantage'.  I've heard about it, but I haven't read it so I can't comment on its usefulness.
If your mind is attuned t

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:03 am »

Why the 500 c series? I used to own a 500cm & sold it in the year 2000. Bought a Mamiya 645 AF & it was a breath of fresh air compared to the old Blad. The AF was a must for me. I was never really happy with my 120 f5.6 T Star Hasselblad lens, good for color & lousy for B&W. Just my point of view. I also did try the Contax 645 AF in 1999 when it first came out & did not like it, was very keen but in the end went with Mamiya.
Denis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:27:18 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

CharlesD

Hello from a new user!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:26:50 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Why the 500 c series? I used to own a 500cm & sold it in the year 2000. Bought a Mamiya 645 AF & it was a breath of fresh air compared to the old Blad. The AF was a must for me. I was never really happy with my 120 f5.6 T Star Hasselblad lens, good for color & lousy for B&W. Just my point of view. I also did try the Contax 645 AF in 1999 when it first came out & did not like it, was very keen but in the end went with Mamiya.
Denis

Because after researching, it's what I found to be most affordable Hassy available to me. The Mamiya's seem quite popular. I found a lot of 645, and a quick check on ebay at the moment got me a few 645-AF within my budget range (max 1000$CAN).

Why did you switch to the 645-AF? Was it simply for the AF feature?

amsp

Hello from a new user!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:48 am »

Why are you looking to buy a V-series, is it because you've tried different cameras and know that's the one you enjoy using most? If so I'd go straight for the 503cw, it's not that much more expensive than earlier models and it will pay off in the long run. If you haven't tried different cameras I would suggest you do, more modern cameras like the Mamiya 645 AFD (stay away from the AF) or the Contax 645 offer many obvious advantages over the V-series, it's all about what you need and enjoy using though. You might also want to look at rangefinders like the Mamiya 6 if you want easy portability and are 100% sure you don't want to use a digital back in the future. There are many options so take your time and do your research before taking the plunge, you'll save money that way and have a system to grow with in the future.

Carsten W

Hello from a new user!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:04:29 am »

Why does everyone feels the need to question Charles' choice of cameras? The Hasselblad V is an extremely nice camera to work with, classic, simple and beautiful. 6x6 cameras have large gorgeous viewfinders not matched by 645 for composition, IMO. There is hardly another a modern camera with the same quality construction and materials, except perhaps the Rollei 6008. Everyone uses plastic now...

(For more modern usage, I have a Contax 645 AF, which I prefer to the Mamiyas.)

Anyway, I have a 500C with the original screen and a 2000FC/M with an Acute Matte screen, and there is no comparison: the Acute Matte is much, much easier to focus with. I would strongly recommend getting at least a 500C/M, to have the ability to exchange the screens yourself.

I am not aware of any photography books which focus on medium format cameras in general, but for a solid introduction to the photography side, Ansel Adams' "The Camera" covers medium format, as well as 35mm and LF. For more detailed technical information on the Hasselblad cameras, get the Ernst Wildi book, but try to find a 5th Edition copy. The 6th and 7th editions focused much more on the new H system. The Wildi book is very detailed and technical, but doesn't have many photos or illustrations, so you might also want to look at Richard Nordin's "Hasselblad System Compendium", which is essentially a giant list of all the pieces built over the years.

Here is a link to a forum more friendly to Hasselblad V owners: http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:40:54 pm »

Quote from: CharlesD
Because after researching, it's what I found to be most affordable Hassy available to me. The Mamiya's seem quite popular. I found a lot of 645, and a quick check on ebay at the moment got me a few 645-AF within my budget range (max 1000$CAN).

If you go with the Hassy 500 series now you should know that with adapters both the H2 and Mamiya 645 can use the 500 series glass that you acquire along the way.

I also vote for considering a rangefinder. They can be really great fun and are very compact without sacrificing one iota of quality.

Welcome to the board!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:41:32 pm by dougpetersonci »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:23:38 pm »

Not everyone, Carsten...

I too find it odd.  If the OP had asked for an opinion on which camera to buy, I'd understand, but I don't think he did.

-Brad

Quote from: carstenw
Why does everyone feels the need to question Charles' choice of cameras?
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Hello from a new user!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:16:18 am »

Quote from: CharlesD

Hi Charles
I was just not happy with my 500cm anymore, had it for 18 years. I found it was hard to focus even with a Beatty screen & I also was not getting great B&W prints out of it. Welcome to the LL  form.
Denis

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Carsten W

Hello from a new user!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:35 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi Charles
I was just not happy with my 500cm anymore, had it for 18 years. I found it was hard to focus even with a Beatty screen & I also was not getting great B&W prints out of it. Welcome to the LL  form.
Denis

I don't know if this is the same for MF cameras, but the Beatty screen for DSLRs has a reputation of not being as easy to focus as the Maxwell screen. The latter enjoys a reputation slightly (but not much) better than the Acute Matte screen which I have in my 2000FC/M. I don't find that I have any trouble focusing my 110/2, even wide open. If I am focusing very close, I might use the loupe though, since depth of field is so narrow.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste
Pages: [1]   Go Up