Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up hardware (Mac)  (Read 1778 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Setting up hardware (Mac)
« on: March 14, 2009, 06:20:07 pm »

I've found that not only is my computer in a total mess but also that part of my library is currently not backed up  

Obviously, this needs sorting ASAP.  I have at my disposal a MBP that I want to run LR as fast as possible (which isn't very as this is a 32 bit one).  My boot drive is 100 gig 7200 rpm.  I've a WD 320 gig usb portable, a 250 gig firewire 400, a G4 PowerMac with 2 80 gb drives and an 80 gb iPod.

Currently, my Library resides on my startup.  It is backed up to the WD.  As I mentioned, part of my archive, which is not in LR, is not backed up, it is on my iPod.

As I understand, I need to keep my start up as empty as possible.  It seems the best solution is to therefore have my LR library on the WD disc and backed up to the G4 and iPod (since that's in my pocket should my flat burn down.)  However, I would like to be able to quickly access my images without the portable disc.  Is this possible using previews?

My file structure, both in Finder and LR is a total mess.  I understand that this is best to fix within LR rather than finder.  What is the best way to use folders and collections and colour labels though?

Would I be better sorting things in Bridge, in particular, the part of the Library that is not in LR at the moment?

Many thanks

muppet girl

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:27:29 pm »

Before deciding what Programme to use to manage your files, you need to think about a good filing system before you even start on that.
Filing everything by date+ decriptions 2009-03-20 Studio Shoot Jemma for example and then adding metadata to find images by subject, is a sensible way to work and means the filing works in all programmes and OSs.

You can get LR to import and move everything to a date based folder structure, which you then simply place into months and years - you will have to add a description of folder content to each date folder [do this renaming in LR]. You can move folders outside of LR and synch or find things but it will be better moving everything from within LR.

I recommend PathFinder for file management on the Mac as it's a huge improvement on the exercrable Finder and Default Folder X also improves what Pathfinder cannot replace.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:47:07 am »

Ok - I'm more confused!  Are you suggesting that I reorder everything in Finder and then move to LR, move everything in to one huge folder in Finder and then get LR to import it based on date or capture - or something else entirely?!

Many thanks

Charly

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:01 am »

If your files are a complete mess, then getting LR to import and 'copy to' dated folders is an quick + effective way of sorting out a messy filing sytem. If current folders are not labelled with useful info then simply 'move to' dated folders will be fine. Otherwise 'copy to' and get any useful folder name information before deleting [the now duplicated] files.
Once files are organised by date labels, you can then add metadata to easily find by subject. Organising by subject in actual folders, does not work as most shot can be many subject types.

I wouldn't suggest using Finder for anything, it's a truly dreadful and underpowered piece of software. Pathfinder is more usable and if you want to manage files properly I would use DOpus, PC only sadly, but it saves me so much time compared to Mac File management, I may end up moving to PC. A task that took me the best part of two days on my Mac, I did in two clicks and a few minutes using DOpus.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up