Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D60 vs 20D  (Read 2133 times)

DarkPenguin

D60 vs 20D
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:35:45 am »

Who sells the 20D without batteries or software?

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
D60 vs 20D
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:55:40 pm »

I agree! Be very wary. I placed an order for a 20D for $989 including lens and battery, with a company that advertises regularly in Outdoor Photographer. I was told the the camera was on backorder and would be shipping in a couple of weeks.

When I mentioned this deal to a friend he told me of the orddeal he had when ordering a scanner from the same company. Apparently they shipped it two weeks after the order with the then-current price on the invoice (some $400 more than the "special".)

When questioned, they were going to charge a large restocking fee to take it back, as well as postage. It took many weeks of phone calls and letters to the company and a consumer watchdog group before the company grudgingly agreed to accept the original price.

Another friend ordered a Sony F828 from them, and it arrived with Japanese menus and instruction booklet. She returned it OK, though.

Needless to say I cancelled my order and bought it from a more reputable company in the end. As usual, I had no problems with them.

Caveat emptor.
Andrew

Pete

D60 vs 20D
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:53:39 am »

a postscript, peterpix

the charger for the d60 fits two batteries, which will charge first one and then the other (it cannot charge both simultaneously).  The only difference with the 20D's charger is that it can only fit one battery. Otherwise, more or less the same.

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
D60 vs 20D
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:29:15 am »

Looking at specs for both cameras, it appears that the same battery and charger will work for both cameras. 20 D uses a  different version but it looks the same and  I suspect the D60 charger will charge it?

20D bodies only, NO accesories, are available on the internet for about  $770. Since I already have a D60, I'm thinking i can just buy the stripped 20D and use my old accessories, perhaps getting the newer batteries. Canon's software does not seem to be an issue since I shoot raw and use PS CS and Adobe DNG to convert.

Is my thinking correct here?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Peter
Peter Randall

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
D60 vs 20D
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 10:51:15 am »

Only thieves and bait-and-switch con artists. Stay FAR AWAY from such "deals"--they aren't.

Pete

D60 vs 20D
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:50:55 am »

To answer your original question,

The batteries are the same, your EF lenses will fit (the 20D can take the new EF-S mount, the D60 will not).  The only accessory that will not fit is the double battery grip.  The same grip can be used for the D60 and the 10D, but the 20D does take a new version of the grip. All other accessories are the same: off-shoe cords, external battery packs (including quantums turbo), remote releases, etc ...

Good luck.  I've owned a D60, and currently have a 10D as well as a 20D.  The 20D is a really superb camera and worth every dollar.  A lot of fun to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up