Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: capture one weird pink cast on canon raw files  (Read 9820 times)

tmx3

capture one weird pink cast on canon raw files
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:40 am »

I've have a problem with how capture one 3.7.9 is displaying and processing canon raw files from the 5d. I've noticed in highlight areas there is a horrible pink color that cannot be corrected. This is not on the original raw file and not on jpgs shot on the same settings. Has anyone experienced this? If I recall correctly I  seem to have had this problem since I have had capture one 4 on my system as well - I  found 4 completely unusable and have gone back to 3.7.9. Any help greatfully received. I have attached the file processed form capture one and a screen grab on the cr2 from the finder. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:19:18 am by tmx3 »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »

Quote from: tmx3
I've have a problem with how capture one 3.7.9 is displaying and processing canon raw files from the 5d. I've noticed in highlight areas there is a horrible pink color that cannot be corrected. This is not on the original raw file and not on jpgs shot on the same settings. Has anyone experienced this? If I recall correctly I  seem to have had this problem since I have had capture one 4 on my system as well - I  found 4 completely unusable and have gone back to 3.7.9. Any help greatfully received. I have attached the file processed form capture one and a screen grab on the cr2 from the finder. Many thanks.

These look like files that were way overexposed and you have tried to pull them back down in C1.  I've seen it before when I have tried to do the same.
Craig Lamson Photo

tmx3

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
These look like files that were way overexposed and you have tried to pull them back down in C1.  I've seen it before when I have tried to do the same.

Hi thanks for your reply. I agree that it appears that way, however this is shooting directly into the program without any adjustment of exposure.   When I look at the jpg/screen grab the finders preview of the raw its clearly 255 255 255 yet in capture one I am getting the RGB of say 246 229 240.  Its like C1 is automatically adjusting the exposure, yet  in preferences automatic adjustment of exposure levels is set to 0%.  When a file is over I want it to appear over not to have the program perform some weird automatic adjustment behind the scenes. I have never seen this program do this before until recently

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:45:36 pm »

Magenta cast in the highlights after RAW development is 99% of the times because of a bad saturation point considered by the RAW development software. So what you are experiencing here is a mismatch between your hardware and your software.

If your RAW developer considers a saturation point for your camera that is higher than the real saturation point (i.e. the level at which RAW actually saturates, which not always is 2^n with n the number of bits of the camera), the magenta cast appears in the highlights because of the application of white balance.

White balance underexposes the G channel with respect to R and B when the exposure slider is set to the left in the RAW developer. In saturated areas the RAW developer should take care of this and force the 3 channels remain neutral: R=G=B. But if the saturation point is wrong, then the software will not guarantee these neutral highlights.

For example this is a RAW from Canon 40D: left developed with a saturation point higher than the real one, right developed with correct saturation point:

I did that with DCRAW that allows to set the saturation point arbitrarily, but with commercial software the only thing you can do if you don't want to manually eliminate the magenta cast is to find a corrected version that fixes the problem, or change to another RAW developer.

BR

tmx3

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:15:17 pm »

Quote from: GLuijk
Magenta cast in the highlights after RAW development is 99% of the times because of a bad saturation point considered by the RAW development software. So what you are experiencing here is a mismatch between your hardware and your software.

If your RAW developer considers a saturation point for your camera that is higher than the real saturation point (i.e. the level at which RAW actually saturates, which not always is 2^n with n the number of bits of the camera), the magenta cast appears in the highlights because of the application of white balance.

White balance underexposes the G channel with respect to R and B when the exposure slider is set to the left in the RAW developer. In saturated areas the RAW developer should take care of this and force the 3 channels remain neutral: R=G=B. But if the saturation point is wrong, then the software will not guarantee these neutral highlights.

For example this is a RAW from Canon 40D: left developed with a saturation point higher than the real one, right developed with correct saturation point:

I did that with DCRAW that allows to set the saturation point arbitrarily, but with commercial software the only thing you can do if you don't want to manually eliminate the magenta cast is to find a corrected version that fixes the problem, or change to another RAW developer.

BR

Thanks - that sounds like a pretty good explanation of the problem. I was just looking at some of my old sessions and I can confirm that this is a new problem. I am taking a guess that this is a corruption or some clash with capture one 4. The whole program has been very weird lately - my packet sniffer recently  intercepted it trying to make an outbound conenction to a (photographers) website i had viewed that day in firefox- just bizarre. Nothing to indicate anything strange in my firewall log. Everything else on my system works fine, I perform regular maintence and don't download any shit that is likely to ruin my mac.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:16:20 pm by tmx3 »

nickwhite

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:06:21 am »

Hi, I have had exactly the same magenta cast in highlights problem with my Canon 1DS MkII especially with the extended ASA range of 50ASA when using C1 3.7.9. My experience with C1 version 4 sounds just lke yours and I stopped using it because it was so slow. I had taken my camera to Canon several times to have it fixed and they sort of replaced parts (apparently) to no effect. [It would have been really useful if they had said they couldn't find the problem]. I looked at the same file in Camera Raw and seeing no problems realised it was a C1 problem. I have contacted Phase ONe but have not had a reply yet. Did you come up with a solution?

nickwhite

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:20:02 am »

This just received from Phase One:

Dear Nick,
the problem indeed does not exist in ISO 100 and that is because ISO 50 on those Canon cameras is not a real ISO setting, but a bit of a in-camera software processing. Capture One PRO 3.x will have this issue, but we have corrected it in Capture One 4.
You can read more about it in our Knowledge Base article #1197:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

If you need to use Capture One PRO 3.x, then a workaround is not to use ISO 50. Technically it will not give you cleaner images than ISO 100 anyway as the actual recording by the CCD is the same, so unless you need it due to ight conditions we would not recommend using it anyway.

If you have an Intel Macbook Pro, Capture One 4.8.2 should be very stable and quite fast. If it is Power PC based then you might see a slowdown as compared to version 3.x due to lack of Power PC optimization.
Thank you very much for your understanding and for contacting us.
With kind regards,

Hope that helps (though I don't think I used to have the problem either?)

Just tried with Version 4.8.2 - the problem is still there. And what is more I find V4.8.2 as painfully slow to use as I did with the earlier version of V4. Could be a case for installing Lightroom?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:32:03 am by nickwhite »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:57:14 pm »

Quote from: nickwhite
This just received from Phase One:

Dear Nick,
the problem indeed does not exist in ISO 100 and that is because ISO 50 on those Canon cameras is not a real ISO setting, but a bit of a in-camera software processing. Capture One PRO 3.x will have this issue, but we have corrected it in Capture One 4.
You can read more about it in our Knowledge Base article #1197:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

If you need to use Capture One PRO 3.x, then a workaround is not to use ISO 50. Technically it will not give you cleaner images than ISO 100 anyway as the actual recording by the CCD is the same, so unless you need it due to ight conditions we would not recommend using it anyway.

If you have an Intel Macbook Pro, Capture One 4.8.2 should be very stable and quite fast. If it is Power PC based then you might see a slowdown as compared to version 3.x due to lack of Power PC optimization.
Thank you very much for your understanding and for contacting us.
With kind regards,

Hope that helps (though I don't think I used to have the problem either?)

Just tried with Version 4.8.2 - the problem is still there. And what is more I find V4.8.2 as painfully slow to use as I did with the earlier version of V4. Could be a case for installing Lightroom?

4.8.1 on an intel MacBookPro is very fast and very stable (4.8.2 has not been out long enough for me to comment about it, but so far so good). If this is not the case for you then you should try doing a uninstall/reinstall per our instructions.  Keep in mind that after updates/reinstalls Capture One will need to rebuild the cache of any folder you view, so when you first view a folder performance may be sub-par. Once the cache is built it should fly.

90%+ of the time when someone reports to me C1 is behaving strangely or is "slow" a reinstall per the instructions linked above takes care of the problem. If you have time/desire to try this and report back to the forum I'm sure we would all benefit from it.

Canon's extended (a.k.a. fake) ISO 50 is not supported in Capture One (any version). Using ISO50 will result in these strange pink highlights.

If LightRoom works for you then great. However, before switching you might compare conversions of LR and C1 4.8.X. Especially for longer exposures, mixed lighting, high ISOs, and for micro detail the difference can be surprising.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:59:33 pm by dougpetersonci »
Pages: [1]   Go Up