Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why LEAF refuses to die?  (Read 5375 times)

H1/A75 Guy

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:08 pm »

http://www.leaf-photography.com/

At these prices I have to agree with BCooter and Michael, "Why use 1,000 HP to drive a Kia, when you can use 1,000 HP to drive a Porsche?"

David

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:41:50 pm »

Quote from: H1/A75 Guy
http://www.leaf-photography.com/

At these prices I have to agree with BCooter and Michael, "Why use 1,000 HP to drive a Kia, when you can use 1,000 HP to drive a Porsche?"

David
It refuses to die because it is the best digital solution. Btw this prices have to hurt recent purchasers like myself.

H1/A75 Guy

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:03:46 am »

Don't feel bad. I could have saved $10k had I waited for this pricing. And this pricing is good for almost six months!

On the upside, we're already using our AFi's.

An AFi II 7 with lens for $25K, or an AFi II 10 with lens for $30K.

Those are amazing prices.

David
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:19:28 am by H1/A75 Guy »

Snook

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:56:05 am »

I think we ALL have LOST in buying digital backs prior to 5 months go...
Just these prices make the loss seem even more..:+]
Those are some amazing prices..:+}
Too bad I am already deeply committed to Phase and Mamiya systems..:+]

Snook
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:56:35 am by Snook »

gwhitf

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:04:32 am »

Quote from: Snook

You guys will bitch at anything. Prices high -- you bitch. Prices drop -- you bitch.

Buy the back, find a way to bill it by the day, make money, and get on with your life.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:06:04 am »

Quote from: Snook
Just these prices make the loss seem even more..:+]
Those are some amazing prices..:+}

Gentlemen,

I have no idea what you are smoking but I want some.

How can 30.000 US$ be cheap for a camera?  

Cheers,
Bernard

Snook

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:12:37 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
You guys will bitch at anything. Prices high -- you bitch. Prices drop -- you bitch.

Buy the back, find a way to bill it by the day, make money, and get on with your life.

Gee-u-Twit  why do you care?

I guess you like Bitch 'n about people who Bitch 'n
Beeatch!
LOL
Snook

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:13:00 am »

The real challenge when you cut prices is you cut your bottom line ( profit which could be used for R&D ). Hasselblad was first to cut there price last year, now Leaf. This is good for us photographers but the companies are trying to increase market share or better yet increase the overall market for MFD.  I am very surprised at how fast things have developed. I wish the best for the Leaf promotion on the AFi platform. Leaf still has the Mamiya platform to work with ( DL28 for example ).
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Snook

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:20:03 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Gentlemen,

I have no idea what you are smoking but I want some.

How can 30.000 US$ be cheap for a camera?  

Cheers,
Bernard

Skunk,White widow and occasionally Afghan (This year) but besides that,

Those prices are for Camera + Back and One free lens. All their prices have been cut almost in 1/2
Maybe you do need to start smoking....:+}

Snook
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:42:40 pm by Snook »

H1/A75 Guy

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:48:38 am »

$24,595 is exactly what I paid for a new Leaf A75 back in 2005.

Then I got to pay an additional $6,000 for the privilege to use an H body. Who can forget the H body? That's the one that gives you the battery error message on every critical shot.

I could have gone with a Mamiya mount. I had a hard time forgetting how awful the Mamiya 645 was in the 80's. Who can forget the rubberized gripping peeling off around your hands? The Pentax 645N was a godsend in those days. I'm  sure Mamiya/Phase have cleaned the peeling rubber issue. But at the end of the day your still hanging an expensive back off the back end of a 30 year old Mamiya 645 'J' body. That is all Mamiya/Phase will ever aspire too.

So, why wouldn't you sell your mamma for $24,595 to get the best camera camera system in the world? Better yet, let me sell your mamma and I'll buy an extra back!

David
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:06:16 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

ziocan

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:51:06 pm »

$24,595 is exactly what I paid for a new Leaf A75 back in 2005.

Then I got to pay an additional $6,000 for the privilege to use an H body. Who can forget the H body? That's the one that gives you the battery error message on every critical shot.

I could have gone with a Mamiya mount. I had a hard time forgetting how awful the Mamiya 645 was in the 80's. Who can forget the rubberized gripping peeling off around your hands? The Pentax 645N was a godsend in those days. I'm  sure Mamiya/Phase have cleaned the peeling rubber issue. But at the end of the day your still hanging an expensive back off the back end of a 30 year old Mamiya 645 'J' body. That is all Mamiya/Phase will ever aspire too.

So, why wouldn't you sell your mamma for $24,595 to get the best camera camera system in the world? Better yet, let me sell your mamma and I'll buy an extra back!

David
everybody is free to believe in what she/he wants, but the mamiya AFD 2 and 3 are not even a far relative of the old mamiya 645 super or pro as per build construction and features..
saying that we attaching a 30 grands back on a 30 years old j body is completely inaccurate to say the least.

H1/A75 Guy

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 06:57:09 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
saying that we attaching a 30 grands back on a 30 years old j body is completely inaccurate to say the least.
I'll restate for accuracy - 'Repackaged' 30 year old j body.

RobertJ

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 08:46:57 pm »

Calumet's eBay store has good deals on MF digital systems every once in a while.

Right now they have two AFi 7 packages (AFi body with Aptus 75s and 80mm Schneider AFD lens) for $17,995 "Buy It Now."

Of course they're "Demo" cameras, but if it works, who cares.

http://stores.ebay.com/Calumet-Clearance-Center

hubell

Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »

David

Perhaps you should reevaluate your pseudonym. It sort of seems like false advertising.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Why LEAF refuses to die?
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 04:03:17 am »

Quote from: ziocan
everybody is free to believe in what she/he wants, but the mamiya AFD 2 and 3 are not even a far relative of the old mamiya 645 super or pro as per build construction and features..

have you had a play with an old mamiya 645 pro lately? ive owned the older afd and grew up with the 645 pro. sure the afd had auto focus, but it was a horrible camera in comparison to the m645pro.

fast AF isnt particularly usefull with only a center point, unless shooting subject close to the center, or slower f-stops.

also the pro had-

-fast lenses, 2.8 300, 4.0 500, 1.9 80
-leaf shutter lenses, 45, 80, 150mm
-fish eye
-waist level finder
-modular grips
-strong and reliable (my afd was a dog)

the pro definately has far more usable features and accessories.

sure its old, but i really dont know why they just didnt develop the already proven, popular camera, instead of trying to guess what a professional photographer wanted.

i have only used the afd2 once, and it had all sorts of connection issues with the p25 that was on the back of it, the dealer came over and replaced the body, and luckly it ran for the rest of the day.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau
Pages: [1]   Go Up