Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 - which is the last fast version ?  (Read 5573 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
C1 - which is the last fast version ?
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:36:00 pm »

I just got C1 4.6.3 and it is killing me, so slow on my 15" MBP. The version I had before was much faster. What is the last usably fast version ?

Edmund

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:51:12 pm »

Quote from: eronald
I just got C1 4.6.3 and it is killing me, so slow on my 15" MBP. The version I had before was much faster. What is the last usably fast version ?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:42 pm »

Edmund

Edmund

Do you mean a version of 4.6x was faster, or are you referring to going back all the way to 3.7.9? If you had 4.6.2, for example and it was fine and 4.6.3 was sluggish, there might be something else going on there. I haven't yet installed 4.6.3, but from the notes, it is not a major update and the engines should all operate at about the same efficiency as recent vintages.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

eronald

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:33:38 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Edmund

Do you mean a version of 4.6x was faster, or are you referring to going back all the way to 3.7.9? If you had 4.6.2, for example and it was fine and 4.6.3 was sluggish, there might be something else going on there. I haven't yet installed 4.6.3, but from the notes, it is not a major update and the engines should all operate at about the same efficiency as recent vintages.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

I had a usable trial version on this machine *decoding my D3x files*, and a Phase file occasionally, I guess. I was plagued with activation issues due to retiring a couple of computers, did an install of CS3 on my system, activated it,  activated C1 as lite, deactivated it and reactivated it as pro, downloaded 4.6.3 and am now suffering with a sloooow C1. I hope I have the chronology right here. And strangely enough- can't believe it myself- I actually have licenses for all this stuff.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:36:12 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rudy Torres

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »

4.6 is my latest. I haven't installed 4.6.1, 6.2, or 6.3. Using P25+.

- Rudy

Snook

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »

I have shot a LOT ever since 4.6 and love it.. Have not had any really bad crashes. Tethered has always been pretty solid.
I just processed some 1DsMII and find that they were noisier than when I used to change them in 3.7.9, But not sure.. Maybe just got to used to my P30 files in the last year or so.:+}

I really like C-1 lately.

Snook

Maybe it could ahve something to do with the Nikon files?
Just a guess

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:16:48 pm by Snook »

eronald

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I have shot a LOT ever since 4.6 and love it.. Have not had any really bad crashes. Tethered has always been pretty solid.
I just processed some 1DsMII and find that they were noisier than when I used to change them in 3.7.9, But not sure.. Maybe just got to used to my P30 files in the last year or so.:+}

I really like C-1 lately.

Snook

I like it too, with the D3x files. I just wish it -or my system - hadn't slowed down. Off to do a downgrade ...

Edmund

eronald

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 07:45:53 pm »

I like it too, with the D3x files. I just wish it -or my system - hadn't slowed down. Off to do a downgrade ...

Edmund

I now have a 4.6.3  which is blindingly fast.

- installed to a new folder inside Apps
- deactivated the old version, after launching the old version.
- reactivated the new version.

Don't ask me. It's very very fast now. Superfast. Click and see. Amazing. Don't ask me what's going on here.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:46:29 pm by eronald »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:44:24 pm »

4.6.2 is smoking fast on my laptop and desktop, WAYYYYYY faster and more stable than anything prior...  BUT you need to do the "clean install" if you are upgrading from anything prior to 4.6.0...  

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:50:21 am »

Edmund if on a Mac you may need to go in and delete in a few places to make sure you clean the system of C1 . It sounds like you have some issues like this right now with some lingering old files and this may be your issue.I would search the system . Files are in user, picture folders , preference panes and so on. 4.6.2 is flying on myboxes also andmaybe the best update yet
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

selsoe

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:19:29 am »

Often after C1 upgrades, the cache files (in CaptureOne/Cache/Proxies) have to be regenerated due to changes in the cache structure between the versions. That means that when you open a folder from say 4.6.2 in 4.6.3, all cache files from that folder has to be regenerated, causing some sluggishness. This only happens the first time you open that folder in the new version.

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:25 am »

Edmund
I am not sure what happened to you but this last Sunday and today I use my P45+/Contax and ran thru 780 captures with no issues at all, it is running just as fast as 4.6.2.  The only slight problem I found, which not an issue with 4.6.2 was that when I was waiting for the model for next make up and power off the back, when I repower it up and continue my shoot, the capture name somehow reset to "untitle", this is only small issue I found.  
I must say the highlight/shadow adjustment is highly addictive, I hope it is available with my H3D system.

Regards, K

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:09:42 am »

Quote from: Khun_K
I must say the highlight/shadow adjustment is highly addictive, I hope it is available with my H3D system.

Indeed, the HDR adjustments in C1 are addicting -- amazing what it can pull out of the shadows as well as recover from the highlights, isn't it?

Jack

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 11:43:11 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Indeed, the HDR adjustments in C1 are addicting -- amazing what it can pull out of the shadows as well as recover from the highlights, isn't it?

Exactly, and sometimes it contribute to some certain mood and tone and contrast that would be otherwise quite difficult even in PS.

Snook

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »

Would there be any kind of market for "styles" to be sold or given away for free for C-1?
I have already started to build up a good style archive.

I guess it could be like the rpesets for lightroom?

Speking of which i find it hard to get the whole skintone range when doing selective color adjustments.
Are there any "tricks" to it?
Thanks
Snook

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 12:22:23 pm »

Speaking of which i find it hard to get the whole skintone range when doing selective color adjustments.
Thanks
Snook

In our Master's Online Class we cover the Color Editor and how to get partial or full ranges of the skin tone adjusted as desired. Often the trick is to make three modifications at once: a light modification of a broad area, a moderate modification of a moderate area, and a strong modification of a specific area. Your question though requires that we know what sort of change you are trying to accomplish. The Color Editor can be used to shift the overall skin tone towards warm or olive color, or can be used to compress blotchiness back in towards the main skin tone. The former is often very intuitive and easy and can be easily ported between different model+lighting situations while the later takes a fine touch and is fairly specific to a given model and lighting situation.

Don't forget that Phase provides a portrait color profile for each modern back which serves as an excellent starting point. Indeed most photographers will be perfectly happy with the colors produced by the canned portrait profile, and only need to use the Color Editor to accomplish very specific skin tone modifications.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:22:49 pm by dougpetersonci »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:46 pm »

Speking of which i find it hard to get the whole skintone range when doing selective color adjustments.

Make sure you are using the "advanced" and not the basic tool -- here you can edit the selection to contain the range desired
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:51:53 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Snook

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
In our Master's Online Class we cover the Color Editor and how to get partial or full ranges of the skin tone adjusted as desired. Often the trick is to make three modifications at once: a light modification of a broad area, a moderate modification of a moderate area, and a strong modification of a specific area. Your question though requires that we know what sort of change you are trying to accomplish. The Color Editor can be used to shift the overall skin tone towards warm or olive color, or can be used to compress blotchiness back in towards the main skin tone. The former is often very intuitive and easy and can be easily ported between different model+lighting situations while the later takes a fine touch and is fairly specific to a given model and lighting situation.

Don't forget that Phase provides a portrait color profile for each modern back which serves as an excellent starting point. Indeed most photographers will be perfectly happy with the colors produced by the canned portrait profile, and only need to use the Color Editor to accomplish very specific skin tone modifications.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Thanks your right I should have been more specific..:+}
I meant basically your typical model desaturation of the skin or taken the reds slightly out.
Are the portrait color profiles already in C-1 4.6.2? Are do we have to load then/download them?
Thanks for the heads up.

Also while we are on the subject, I have been having A LOT of moire (P30)  lately and my only way to get rid of it is make 2 conversions and put one over the other and mask it out. usually I have it bad and the high setting for moire reduction usually bleeds the skin onto the surrounding fabric or Vice Versa which is a pain?
Are there any special tricks or am I doing it the only and correct way?
Thanks.
I know you keep pushing those online classes but I usually need one or 2 quick answer rather than hours more than I need to to learn C-1. Especially online and my internet service stinks!! Cuts off every 5-10 minutes and SLOWWWWWW.
Thanks alot
Snook

Doug Peterson

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »

Thanks your right I should have been more specific..:+}
I meant basically your typical model desaturation of the skin or taken the reds slightly out.
Are the portrait color profiles already in C-1 4.6.2? Are do we have to load then/download them?
Thanks for the heads up.

Also while we are on the subject, I have been having A LOT of moire (P30)  lately and my only way to get rid of it is make 2 conversions and put one over the other and mask it out. usually I have it bad and the high setting for moire reduction usually bleeds the skin onto the surrounding fabric or Vice Versa which is a pain?
Are there any special tricks or am I doing it the only and correct way?
Thanks.
I know you keep pushing those online classes but I usually need one or 2 quick answer rather than hours more than I need to to learn C-1. Especially online and my internet service stinks!! Cuts off every 5-10 minutes and SLOWWWWWW.
Thanks alot
Snook

A Portrait Natural profile is included in 4.6.X for each Phase One back. Installing the program should install the profiles.

When you get moire with any digital back the best bet is to change to capture situation. Changing your lighting, your distance-to-subject, your lens, or your aperture, can all be possible solutions to capture without moire. If you have a raw you need remove substantial moire from the workflow you describe is the best bet to remove the moire without effecting the rest of the image.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »

Thanks alot
Snook

It's not so much the questions you know you have as the questions you wouldn't think to answer.

Or as Rumsfeld said: the "unknown unknowns".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up