Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First C&C  (Read 2310 times)

EasyEd

First C&C
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:09:51 pm »

Hey All,

Found this in my backyard. C&C Please...

What would you do to make this photo I took better?

-Ed-

PS Shrunk 75%, rotated 90deg, not sharpened not post processed in any other way.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:45:42 pm by EasyEd »

dalethorn

First C&C
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:07:48 am »

If it were mine, I'd extend the green foliage to the top and bottom, covering up the small brown patches, and crop some of the image off of the right side.

The purpose would be to emphasize the duality of the green and brown in nature, with the large brown area against the green background. It might require a slight color/contrast adjustment to make that work...

EasyEd

First C&C
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »

Hey All,

Thank You dale!

This is a picture of where a branch was broken off an apple tree in the backyard some time ago.

When I show this to "kids" into LOTR, WoW and the like they love this image and race off to the backyard to find the spot on the tree. The little "gnome-like creature" so clearly identified in the deadwood is what they like. You can see his(?) head, ear, eye, nose, mouth, hand, leg, stomach etc clearly.

What I wanted to do with this image was to try to bring "him" to life in a dark dreary atmosphere. Think battle scenes in the dreary rain in LOTR. The moss on the tree does a good job of outlining "him".

Apparently I failed.

The challenges in this image are as I see them: 1) bringing out noise in the background on the right vs bringing out detail on the left (in the wood and moss - I don't want the noise, and ; 2) getting the right atmosphere and the right colour of green and right light and dark in the wood to get the job done.

Any further comments on how?

-Ed-

What I was
Quote from: dalethorn
If it were mine, I'd extend the green foliage to the top and bottom, covering up the small brown patches, and crop some of the image off of the right side.

The purpose would be to emphasize the duality of the green and brown in nature, with the large brown area against the green background. It might require a slight color/contrast adjustment to make that work...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:53:12 pm by EasyEd »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
First C&C
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:50:54 pm »

Ed:  I saw the 'person' in the image right off... Dale suggested removing some of the right side of the composition; I'd go the other way and move the 'sculpture' more into the bottom left of the frame.  You might want to try some off-camera flash, dialed down, to bring out more of the textures where the wood is broken.  There isn't enough contrast to bring out the shape.  Mood is one thing, but if people don't know what they're looking for/ at, the mood is superfluous.  Depth of field is going to be important as you want your person and the moss around to be in focus, but with an out of focus background

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dalethorn

First C&C
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »

Whatever you decide, don't give up on this one. It's a worthy experiment. It's interesting that I saw just the two strong elements of wood and moss, but Wolfnowl had a very different take - I don't know how you'd make a major change here, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to move anything around, but who knows....

EasyEd

First C&C
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:45 pm »

Hey All,

Thank You Dale and Wolf. I'm not giving up on this one as I think if I can get it right it could be a "keeper". It's in my backyard - it ain't goin nowhere (long as I keep my son and a hatchet away from it  ) - so I can vary some things and see what I get. I always like photographing things in which the image transcends what is actually there - this is one of those cases.

-Ed-

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
First C&C
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:52:15 am »

Ed: Good luck with this.  I make a lot of images with faces 'n' things in them.  Here's one for example.  Unfortunately this was shot on Kodachrome originally and this is a very old and rather bad scan of it, but do you see the woman with long hair?

[attachment=12201:IMG0019.jpg]

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up