Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for April  (Read 3892 times)

natas

Suggestions for April
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:37:24 am »

I posted a thread earlier this week asking for advice on Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in April....after speaking with people at both parks I have been told that most of the roads in YellowStone and Grand Tetons will be close during the time me and the wife plan to visit (april 9th -16th).

So, I was hoping some of you guys could chime in and give me ideas of another vacation spot during this time. We are sort of stuck with this time because of my wifes job. I am wanting to go some place that I can get beautiful pictures but at the same time be able to go out and do some activities. My main concern is my wifes, I don't want her bored while I am out and about. Any suggestions are welcome!

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Suggestions for April
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »

April is a great time for desert regions - Death Valley, Arizona, the lower-elevation Utah national parks, etc.

If you have a bigger budget, it's also a great time for the Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, etc.)

Lisa
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:50:43 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

natas

Suggestions for April
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »

Quote from: nniko
April is a great time for desert regions - Death Valley, Arizona, the lower-elevation Utah national parks, etc.

If you have a bigger budget, it's also a great time for the Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, etc.)

Lisa

Great ideas Lisa! We were thinking of trying yosemite and other parts of California. Or atleast thats one of the many ideas

masl

Suggestions for April
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:15:50 pm »

Quote from: natas
Great ideas Lisa! We were thinking of trying yosemite and other parts of California. Or atleast thats one of the many ideas
If I recall you are driving from Texas?  Northern New Mexico, Monument Valley, Arches & Canyonlands are great visits especially if you've never done them.  Grand daddy Canyon is my pick for this April (only my fourth visit, but this time I'll spend five days there...full moon on April 9th).  April can be a wee bit cold at night but the days are fantastic in most of these places.  

If you're driving to Yosemite it's a long haul because the road that goes direct from the east (CA-120 I think) is closed until.. usually May.

Of course if you're flying then the greater US is wide open, Oregon & N. Cal coastlines come to mind(no personal experience for me ...yet).

Here's a link to national parks and recreation areas :

http://home.nps.gov/applications/parksearch/geosearch.cfm

-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

masl

Suggestions for April
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »

Quote from: masl
If I recall you are driving from Texas?  Northern New Mexico, Monument Valley, Arches & Canyonlands are great visits especially if you've never done them.  Grand daddy Canyon is my pick for this April (only my fourth visit, but this time I'll spend five days there...full moon on April 9th).  April can be a wee bit cold at night but the days are fantastic in most of these places.  

If you're driving to Yosemite it's a long haul because the road that goes direct from the east (CA-120 I think) is closed until.. usually May.  From San Francisco (I-5 or CA-99) it's open.

Of course if you're flying then the greater US is wide open, Oregon & N. Cal coastlines come to mind(no personal experience for me ...yet).

Here's a link to national parks and recreation areas :

http://home.nps.gov/applications/parksearch/geosearch.cfm

-Mark

framah

Suggestions for April
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:56:54 pm »

Go west and hit Canyon de Chelly, or any other great place out west. Even try Page, Arizona and the Lower Antelope canyon.

That time of the year, alot of the desert wildflowers will be out. Google search places for the flowers.

Warmer, also!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Lisa Nikodym

Suggestions for April
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »

Since you mention Yosemite, April is a fine time of year there too, except that the high country isn't open yet (but most times of year that the high country is open, the valley is very crowded, so you can't have everything).

As someone mentioned, highway 120 into Yosemite from the east is closed for the winter; you have to drive somewhat north through Lake Tahoe or south around the south end of the Sierras, and come into Yosemite from the west that time of year.

Lisa

natas

Suggestions for April
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:46:53 am »

Yosemite so far is #1 on the list right now. I just hope the weather will be good for me to get some great photos. If we do this our plan is to fly to Oakland since the flight is cheap and car rental is half the price there (San Fran is nearly double). The great thing about this option is that we could spend 75% of the time at Yosemite then visit Napa Valley, San Fran etc.

The wife says no to arizona since we visited briefly last year

Lisa Nikodym

Suggestions for April
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:14:18 pm »

If you're in the Bay Area, you should also not miss the redwood forests if you haven't seen them before.  Either Muir Woods (in Marin county) or Big Basin (in the mountains between San Jose & Santa Cruz) will have the best redwoods in the area.  If you're interested and can tack on a few more days, the redwood parks on the far northern California coast (Redwoods Nat'l Park, Jedediah Smith, Humboldt) have considerably better redwoods.  Check a map for locations and think about how much you want to drive.

Lisa
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:16:43 pm by nniko »

masl

Suggestions for April
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »

Quote from: natas
Yosemite so far is #1 on the list right now. I just hope the weather will be good for me to get some great photos. If we do this our plan is to fly to Oakland since the flight is cheap and car rental is half the price there (San Fran is nearly double). The great thing about this option is that we could spend 75% of the time at Yosemite then visit Napa Valley, San Fran etc.

The wife says no to arizona since we visited briefly last year

Great call, plenty of water from snow melt for the falls in April.  Check with the highway folks, you may need chains to get over the pass into the valley.  Have a great trip.

-Mark

dreman33

Suggestions for April
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:58 pm »

On that note i am about to go to California and am thinking of yosemite and death valley. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to see and do outside of the normal things (half dome devils golf etc) - basically things that you stumble on and are great. In addition i would like to make my way up to Fly Geyser in Nevada so if anyone has gone it would be great to find out more info on how to get there. I heard that it is on a private farm. Can you just turn up and walk up to it or do you have to arrange something in advance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy snapping

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
Suggestions for April
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:40:59 pm »

April is a great time to visit and photograph in the Columbia River Gorge, on both the Oregon and Washington side. Great waterfalls along the historic highway just east of Portland, the apple and pear orchards in Hood River Valley will be in bloom, and wildflower areas a little further east at Tom McCall Preserve (OR), Dog Mountain and Catherine Creek (WA) are at their prime. Plenty of snow on Mount Hood for views of the volcanic peak. Stay in Portland and your wife will have plenty to see and do as well if she's not a photographer.

The Oregon coast can be great at this time of year, too, alternating sunny days with storms that bring waves crashing on rocky cliffs and sea stacks.

Try an early morning shoot in the Tulip fields near Woodburn (not far south of Portland) and then do a tour of covered bridges and/or wine country in the Willamette Valley.

- Greg
 w
Pages: [1]   Go Up