Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture Sharpening 5DMkII files  (Read 2155 times)

allenbirnbach

Capture Sharpening 5DMkII files
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:24:00 pm »

I'm looking for feedback on using the sharpening in Canon's DPP software vs. Photokit Sharpener.  I just did a couple of tests with people, in costume, on a white background in studio.I used the default (3) setting in DPP for one version. I also did an unsharpened conversion and then sharpening in Photokit.  For that, I used Capture Expert Mode, Digital hi-Res Sharpen, and Medium Edge Sharpen.

What I'm noticing is that the Photokit sharpen makes the skin look crunchy, and backing down the overall amount from 100 per cent, or just backing down the light contour is not really doing that well for me.  Although the DPP sharpening at the 3 setting is a tad softer, the overall effect is smoother and much more pleasing.

I'd like to see if anyone has come up with results they are happy with using either of these sharpening approaches.

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »

Allen,

I use wide edge for skin then sometimes back down the opacity.

Rich

allenbirnbach

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:08:08 am »

That worked better, and then I added a mask and removed the sharpening from the smooth detail-less skin of the dancer's face.  That seems to be working fine, though a bit time-consuming.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Allen

Quote from: Richowens
Allen,

I use wide edge for skin then sometimes back down the opacity.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up