Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longest print possible on Epson7880.  (Read 4828 times)

tongelsing

Longest print possible on Epson7880.
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:58:35 pm »

What is the longest possible printsize on a Epson 7880 without special software?
Is this also dependent on filesize, bitdepth or other parameters?

I have a client who wants a print of 240cmx20cm. 8bits. Filesize approx. 80Mb. Color.

My setup is: Mac Book Pro, Lacie321 and a Pro7880. My software is CS4 or LR2.

Ton

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »

Quote from: tongelsing
What is the longest possible printsize on a Epson 7880 without special software?
Is this also dependent on filesize, bitdepth or other parameters?

I have a client who wants a print of 240cmx20cm. 8bits. Filesize approx. 80Mb. Color.

My setup is: Mac Book Pro, Lacie321 and a Pro7880. My software is CS4 or LR2.

Ton

A quick google ... maximum length Epson 7880

yields this link

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...rodoid=63070985

where you will find a link to your answer.

Short answer ... no

Maximum length using standard print driver is 90.5 inches or 229 cm

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:21:33 pm »

There used to be a number of limitations in the drivers/OS combination and Photoshop/Illustrator. I don't think Photoshop is going to be a problem if your using any of the CS variants, as the max file size now is huge.  The last number I heard regarding OSX max print length was around 90". I think both Vista and 10.5 changed some of these limits. I know several years ago I made a number of 72" prints on a 7800 directly from PS, file size was around 2gb. The 80mb file size seems fairly low, what resolution are you printing at.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:00:50 pm »

Just this morning printed a 30.5" x 88" print on a 9880, no problems.  CS4, standard Epson driver, Vista64.  Have also printed numerous 80" prints with a 7800.

It's supposedly 90.5".  Have never pushed the envelope quite that far.

tongelsing

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:03:09 pm »

Quote from: Mussi_Spectraflow
There used to be a number of limitations in the drivers/OS combination and Photoshop/Illustrator. I don't think Photoshop is going to be a problem if your using any of the CS variants, as the max file size now is huge.  The last number I heard regarding OSX max print length was around 90". I think both Vista and 10.5 changed some of these limits. I know several years ago I made a number of 72" prints on a 7800 directly from PS, file size was around 2gb. The 80mb file size seems fairly low, what resolution are you printing at.

The filesize I will receive is 18.000x1.500pixels, wich gives a resolution of roughly 190dpi. If I can print it i will rezz it up to 240dpi.

Ton

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:19:47 pm »

I have a client that's been installing ~100 foot long prints in galleries made from Epson and Canon printers without a RIP for many years now. The driver's limitation is a *per page* limitation, so, if you chop an image up and put the pieces onto several pages in a multi-page application like Adobe InDesign you can print the the whole thing seamlessly. In fact, this process can produce prints longer than most RIPs are capable of. Here's how:

1. Start with an image in Photoshop. Cut it into smaller "panels" of, say, 40 inch widths; they just have to be smaller than your printer's largest page size. Save each panel as it's own file with an approbate name.

2. Mac users with Epson Ultrachrome printers should add a new printer using the "Roll Paper - Banner No Margins" Page Setup option. When added correctly, your printer will be listed as something like "Stylus Photo 9600 - Roll Paper - Banner No Margins." Users of newer K3 and up printers can skip this step, but will need to select the "Roll Paper - Banner No Margins" options under Page Setup prior to printing. Unfortunately, Epson is not consistent in how this banner option is selected across their different printers. Experiment as needed to find this feature for your printer.

3. Make an InDesign document with page HEIGHT EXACTLY as big as your photoshop panels are WIDE, or 40 inches to continue with our example from #1 above. Make the page width the size of your paper, like 24 inches for an Epson 7600. Create as many pages as you need to print your panorama. Place one image or "panel" per page, and turn each -90 degrees (clockwise). Use the numbers to align each panel, with their edges touching the top and bottom edges of each page. Start with the LEFT EDGE of your panorama on Page 1, and work your way to the end.

4. When setting up to print, choose your "Roll Paper - Banner No Margins" Ultrachrome printer or your "Roll Paper - Banner No Margins" Page Setup for newer printers. Configure the print dialog the way you normally would, but under the Roll Paper option, deselect "Auto Cut" and check "Save Paper" instead. This leaves absolutely no paper between one page and the next without cutting them. The printer hardware can still be set on Auto Cut, as it will be overridden by your software selection.

5. Be sure to deselect the "Collate" or "Reverse order" options, to ensure that the pages emerge in regular numerical order.

6. Make sure that you have PLENTY of ink and paper loaded!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

tongelsing

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:31:00 am »

I will experiment with your suggestions but first on a much smaller scale.

Ton

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 06:05:32 am »

Quote from: tongelsing
I will experiment with your suggestions but first on a much smaller scale.
Two pieces should be pretty easy and fun.

And FYI for Canon iPF printer owners - the limitation of the Photoshop Print Plug-in is 708 inches long (59 feet) for all iPF printer models. Definitely a nice feature.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up