Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael's review of the P65+ is online  (Read 29631 times)

Graham Mitchell

Michael's review of the P65+ is online
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 09:51:59 pm »

I'm happy to see that Michael has added something of a retraction to the review, concerning his false statement about the Hy6.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:07 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
Jack,

If those very same files are put through Lightroom, then do the fold lines show up? If they really exist but CO Pro is masking them now in 4.6.2, that could still be an issue for anyone going to another raw converter, like Raw Developer, LR, ACR, Bibble?, and any others.

rainer mentioned that it could happen on the Dalsa 22 sensors, but with near 6000 files on my A22, I've never seen any centerfold. I know the A75 went through this issue.

I don't know -- I have (happily) nuked LR from my systems.  I could try it with ACR though when I'm back at my main box on Monday...  
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »

Yes, he took it back and printed the press release in big yellow letters. It is interesting that it is Leaf and not Jenoptik/Sinar that first reacted. It called my attention that they say that "Leaf has created the best medium format camera system in the world."

Quote from: foto-z
I'm happy to see that Michael has added something of a retraction to the review, concerning his false statement about the Hy6.
[font=Comic Sa

yaya

« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:07 am »

Quote from: Leonardo Barreto
Yes, he took it back and printed the press release in big yellow letters. It is interesting that it is Leaf and not Jenoptik/Sinar that first reacted. It called my attention that they say that "Leaf has created the best medium format camera system in the world."

Leonardo I'm assuming that you've unintentionally dropped the few words leading to this quote, yes?

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02:30 am »

-----
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:05:55 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:35 am »

Quote from: reinfried marass
Antartica - What Worked – What Didn't

Temperatures were moderate, ranging from about +2C to -3C during our two weeks at the Peninsula.

Just received the new PI monthly newsletter ...
Headline :
Antarctica – The Ultimate Test  ...  P 65+ Camera System passes the ultimate test

serious advertising :-)

Yeah... noticed that too... couldn't  help but laugh. Any typical winter day in North America and most of Europe is typically more challenging than Antartica in the summer...

Cheers,
Bernard

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2009, 08:48:08 am »

Ok, I was thinking about it exactly when making my coffee, so, to be fair I will post it here.:

"Our customers, reviewers and even some of our critics all agree that with the AFi-II, Leaf has created the best medium format camera system in the world..."

You noted that I only said that this quote was interesting,? nothing more.

Quote from: yaya
Leonardo I'm assuming that you've unintentionally dropped the few words leading to this quote, yes?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:51:14 am by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

michael

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2009, 09:02:13 am »

I have to say that I chuckled as well when I saw yesterday's Phase One newsletter.

But hey, advertising is about hyperbole, and that's what the Phase newsletter is, advertising.

Michael

stewarthemley

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2009, 09:48:44 am »

Hmm...wonder whether people think Hasselblad were cut this much slack in this forum over their no less ridiculous claim about full frame... Just a thought.

Snook

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2009, 10:02:35 am »

Sure is easy to throw Pollen when your not having to pay for it..:+}

I seriuosly doubt Michael will be pulling out his credit cards..:+}

Or are you Michael?

Probably only a small handful of guys buying this back. Not just wanting but actually buying. I heard there was a waiting list.. That sounds impossible unless they are being made special order or a dozen a time?

Maybe we should take a Poll, I'd be really coriuos.

In any case I hope they do sell them and stay in business ofcourse!

Maybe leafs announcement yesterday will change Phase Ones pricing plan?

I sure would rent one for special projects if I could. But who will be buying this Back. Car guys maybe? Landscape Guys printing really Big, More Crop space? Some one with lot's of extra cash during economic tough times?

I really print Big maybe Once a Year for exhibitions.

Seems, atleast in my part of the world, the Pixel hunt is way over and seeing how many are doing business on the internet these days, all those megapixels are not needed anymore..

Just coriuos what market are they looking for?

Snook

PS. After  splattering Michael all of the Phase One Mailing I got the other day, He better be getting something out of it!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:50:51 pm by Snook »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2009, 10:35:28 am »

I think Michael paid for his back. I would hope however that he got a decent deal.

Schools etc get "Education Disounts" too.

Edmund

Quote from: Snook
Sure is easy to throw Pollen when your not having to pay for it..:+}

I seriuosly doubt Michael will be pulling out his credit cards..:+}

Or are you Michael?

Snook
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:36:21 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

michael

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:00 pm »

I never accept any products for free (except software). I will accept on offer for dinner (but I usually end up buying the next time).

I purchased my P65+, just as I did the previous backs before it. It's the business that I'm in.

Michael

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:28:50 am by jecxz »

siba

• http://www.stefansiba.com
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2009, 08:29:28 am »

I think it's relatively clear that the mega pixels alone aren't what's worth the upgrade. For studio work especially, I imagine that someone using a lesser digital back is more than happy with regards to size.

I do a mix of studio and location work, and I need my back to be flexible, and so what I'm very interested in are the high ISO capabilities of the P65. And I believe that this is what Phase One reps are saying is the main selling point of the new back.

As a professional photographer I have to make the decision as to whether I use medium format or DSLR. In the same way that I used to use my Pentax 67 on many occasions when I could have used 35mm, I now use my P45 on even more occasions where a DSLR would suffice. I do so because I just enjoy shooting medium format a lot more than shooting 35mm. I always did, and I always will. I'm also one of those people who think that the actual photos look better. Do I wish the price wasn't so high? Of course I do, but photography is also my job and I don't see  the point in moaning about the cost of all my equipment. After all, as has been mentioned in other threads, it's not just the back, it's also the rent on the studio, lenses, computers, lights, coffee machine, etc.

Last week I had an unpleasant all day shoot on 5 different locations coordinating 15 people in front of the camera, because the client wanted to milk as much from the days shoot as possible. I was feeling negative to the shoot in the run up to it, and started planning to use a DSLR with the 24-70mm and just shoot away and not have to think about the photography so much, at least. Then I calmed down and thought about it a bit more and decided to go with my back after all. It was a horrible day weather wise and I have a significant amount of out of focus and/or blurred images. But, I did hit enough, and I have a handful of images I really like. However, the main thing I enjoyed that day was squeezing the shutter release on my contax 645, feeling the mirror slap a bit. And, being able to do so without missing every 17th frame because I had to change film backs. There is no turning back from digital, and for me Phase One allows me to enjoy my job. For others it will be leaf, or Hasselblad, etc. Price on that?

After 3 years using Phase One and Capture One I'm really very happy. Around five years ago, in that dark period when we had to switch to digital photography, but spent most of our time in PS making the files as nice as the little LCD made them out to be, what Phase One are now offering was science fiction. When I first moved to MF and Capture One, I kept on opening the processed files in PS expecting to have to do something to them, only to find that there was really very little to do, if anything.

There seems to be a lot of whining in recent weeks on this forum about the negative aspects of digital backs. I'm pretty excited about where photography is going. It's accessible to so many more people, and if you compare the bulk of work out there then the quality is far superior to what was around in your average magazine and advertising before digital. We can get into arguments over whether DSLR is as good as MF, and if you're one of the people who believe that DSLRs, or the G10 for that matter, takes as good a photo as the MF back then all power to you; go and shoot with what you want. A lot of my favourite photos of recent years have been of my family taken with my mobile phone, for that matter.

I don't believe that the people at Phase One (or Leaf and others) are sitting around complacently thinking that they've got a perfect product. I imagine Phase One are trying to resolve issues, but I think that they have a right to be pretty proud of what they can offer at the moment. I prefer to look at this glass as half full, because it's not getting emptier, but fuller for us as photographers.

Bearing this in mind I would like to agree with the poster who questioned the full frame marketing talk. It's still not. At least compared to my contax 645 negatives I dug out to check.

.....and a couple of practical questions from the spec:

- When it says "Live view: Yes", what does that mean if it's not apparently possible on CMOS sensors? This is misleading if it means that the live preview is only in the computer. Can someone clarify?
- Power: 8-33 V DC (from FireWire®). Does this mean that I can power the P64+ from my PC through firewire? That would be very handy

Cheers
Stefan

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2009, 09:17:04 am »

Quote from: siba
- When it says "Live view: Yes", what does that mean if it's not apparently possible on CMOS sensors? This is misleading if it means that the live preview is only in the computer. Can someone clarify?
- Power: 8-33 V DC (from FireWire®). Does this mean that I can power the P64+ from my PC through firewire? That would be very handy

In medium format digital "Live View" refers to the ability to do Live View WHEN TETHERED. Without special shutter systems no MFD Live View is on par with the Live View offered by the current range of CMOS sensor Canon/Nikon cameras, and no MFD Live View is available on the LCD of the back itself. However, in controllable situations such as studio and architecture the Live View functionality can be extremely functional when viewed in the absolute rather than comparing it to what is possible with Canon/Nikon.

Any of the P and P+ series backs can be powered over firewire. However, some laptops do not offer a stable and strong enough power through the firewire port to power the back. For instance a MacBookPro will often be very stable offering power over firewire when plugged in, but when unplugged and low on battery may cause connection errors when powering the back by firewire. For that reason every P+ back has an option to power the digital back by battery even when plugged into firewire. I believe Leaf/Hassy/Sinar have similar functionality and hopefully someone will chime in to confirm this.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

siba

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2009, 10:34:01 am »

Thanks Doug.
Hmmm, I'll have to check that out. I have always just shot tethered using my batteries, which would run down as normal. I have a kouwell firewire expresscard because the 4pin on my laptop was giving me all sorts of connection problems, and I've just noticed it has a jack socket for an AC adapter.
Thanks for posting your reply so swiftly.
cheers
Stefan

siba

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:04 am »

Doug,
Brilliant, it works. I just had to plug in an AC adapter into the firewire expresscard, and the P45 automatically changed power source. Is there a maximum length of time that the back can be left on for in one go?
Sorry to get off post for a minute, but maybe someone else could find the info useful.
cheers

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2009, 11:04:44 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
For that reason every P+ back has an option to power the digital back by battery even when plugged into firewire. I believe Leaf/Hassy/Sinar have similar functionality and hopefully someone will chime in to confirm this.

The H3D monitors the wattage on the FW port and will 'top up' with the internal battery if necessary, automatically.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up