Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael's review of the P65+ is online  (Read 29661 times)

Mort54

• http://
Michael's review of the P65+ is online
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »

Quote from: hcubell
Can't you use a little OQO computer with its 5" screen to tether in the field?
Possibly. That approach comes up from time to time, but I've never heard of anyone successfully demonstrating it. If it can run Capture One Pro, with support for tethering, then it should be doable. I seem to recall, however, that the OQO doesn't have a Firewire port (I'm going on recall here, so I could be wrong).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:44:48 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

tho_mas

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

Can't you use a little OQO computer with its 5" screen to tether in the field?
do they have a firewire port?

hubell

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 06:49:50 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
do they have a firewire port?

Ah, that's the issue. I just checked it out online and it is USB 2.0 only. Any idea why it has no Firewire port? Size issues?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:51:50 pm by hcubell »

tho_mas

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »

Any idea why it has no Firewire port? Size issues?
don't know. maybe it's possible to built in a single firewire port?
oh, and I'd need model 1.
Model 2 is already with Vista and there is still no firmware update from Phaseone to tether the P45 to Vista  

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2009, 06:59:39 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
Operationally, the Leaf touch screen works great. Not sure why so much poo poo-ing on that. I guess none of you have an iPhone? A touch screen is infinitely GUI changeable. Four buttons are four buttons (Phase). That's the beauty of the iphone. Who wouldn't want an iphone on the back of a camera.

I totally agree! Especially if the touch screen is multi point like the iPhone's screen. Dragging an image around and zooming in and out would be a breeze. Buttons just can't compare, and as you point out, buttons are a fixed GUI (and waste of real estate). With a touch screen, the menu can be totally redone any time with a firmware update.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:01:45 pm by foto-z »

tho_mas

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2009, 07:04:39 pm »

Quote from: ndevlin
What the MF systems are really missing is image stabilization.
Maybe you are right. At 1/60'' on tripod I use mirrorlock. And there is a difference with or without mirrorlock.
But I doubt that chip stabilization is going to happen in MFDB. Sony redesigned the entrie mirror mounting in their A900 to make AntiShake possible for 35mm Fullframe.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »

Quote from: Mort54
Well, I'm probably being overly critical. I have no trouble saying Phase One backs, including the P65+, deliver superb image quality. I have a p45+ and I love the files I get from it. It's just that quite some time has passed since the P45+ came out, and time marches on, and MF is under seige by the economic downturn, and useability improvements just keep getting ignored. As an engineer, I have no doubt that there are good reasons for many of these tradeoffs. But I also have no doubt that some of these issues can be improved on. My disappointment with the P65+ is probably unfair, and ignores all of the good things that you have added to it, but I don't see the things I'm complaining about as being in any way trivial either.

Not at all Mort. In fact, if you read my post, you'll see that I stated that "I am not saying those elements are not important, they certainly are."

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 08:38:03 pm »

Quote from: Mort54
Hmmmmm. I thought you could connect a laptop up to a Phase One back and get real interactive live view that way. I've heard of people using that approach to adjust focus in real time. If you can do it via a laptop, there should be no technical reason why it can't be done via the LCD (other than heat, obviously). Maybe I've misunderstood. You'd need to repeatedly read out the sensor, but why would CCDs specifically preclude repeatedly reading out the image.

There are indeed technical reasons why. I don't know what they are, but Live Preview on an LCD screen in a digital back and Live Preview on a computer monitor pose different challenges that have been overcome on the computer side, but no MFDB maker so far has solved getting Live Preview on the LCD screen of the digital back. Anyway, since our LCD screens are so bad, would it even be useful?  

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 09:05:46 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
There is no corner sharpening on the HCD28.  It is sharp by default.

This is only necessary on the Mamiya 28mm lens.

I absolutely disagree that there is no difference between lens corrections and we have looked at this extremely carefully in the optical lab in Sweden.

David

Mmmm....hmmm.

Sharp is actually a relative term, I believe. For instance, sharper than what?

When you say "sharp by default" and "no corner sharpening", are you saying that the DAC corrections on the 28mm HCD lens do not result in improved MTF data at the edges of the lens?

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2009, 03:43:41 am »

I just want to say " well done " to Phase One for the P65+. They are the first MFD back maker to make a 1:1 lens ratio & bring it to market.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

yaya

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2009, 03:55:03 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
I just want to say " well done " to Phase One for the P65+. They are the first MFD back maker to make a 1:1 lens ratio & bring it to market.
Denis

Well the spec says "CCD size effective: 53.9 x 40.4 mm" which is still not quite 1:1....does it come with a mask for the viewfinder or does one have to guestimate the parts of the frame that are not going to be recorded?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2009, 04:37:21 am »

Quote from: yaya
Well the spec says "CCD size effective: 53.9 x 40.4 mm" which is still not quite 1:1....does it come with a mask for the viewfinder or does one have to guestimate the parts of the frame that are not going to be recorded?

Hi
Its is so close I doubt if you can see it in the view finder. BTW we will be posting some new work using the Aptus 75 on the AFDII this weekend. I still use Leaf when we shoot MFD.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:30 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Mmmm....hmmm.

Sharp is actually a relative term, I believe. For instance, sharper than what?

When you say "sharp by default" and "no corner sharpening", are you saying that the DAC corrections on the 28mm HCD lens do not result in improved MTF data at the edges of the lens?

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

What I mean is that I believe IF a lens is soft or lacks resolution in the corners, no amount of digital corrections in any form will rescue it.  I do not think it is appropriate to apply USM to the corner fields of a lens to try and rescue something that is fundamentally not sharp.

Therefore as an example, the ethos of the HCD28 was to design a lens that was sharp edge to edge with an acceptable level of distortion that could be corrected digitally without further affecting the rest of the image.

The MTF graph (theoretically as it is not possible to measure optically!) will improve but more on a level of distortion and additional increase in resolution provided by a correction in Chromatic Aberration.

Hope that explains better what I meant.

David

PS.  Regarding a comment elsewhere on the forum  - if this makes a lens more economical for purchase then I am all for it.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

yaya

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2009, 05:21:40 am »

Quote from: mcfoto
Hi
Its is so close I doubt if you can see it in the view finder. BTW we will be posting some new work using the Aptus 75 on the AFDII this weekend. I still use Leaf when we shoot MFD.
Denis

I'll let you decide:

Might be more critical with still-life/ architecture framing

Looking forward to seeing new stuff from you, always refreshing!

stewarthemley

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2009, 05:49:15 am »

Doug P and Steve H, the biggest, quickest turn off for me is to see a rep/employee sniping at the competition. By all means emphasize your products good features but let the customer/prospective customer decide what matters to them. Believe it or not, we can work out what we need. Doug, glad to see your explanation and hope your weeks get better! Steve, I have long respected your approach and offerings to this site so I am surprised to see an edge creeping in. I also hope it was just a bad hair day. For me, Yair and Thierry (sadly no longer a rep for Sinar) were so way above sniping you just have to respect them. Best wishes.

tho_mas

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2009, 06:11:20 am »

I'll let you decide:
According to John's information here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....mp;#entry267161 (Post #8) it looks like this:
[attachment=12110:p65f.jpg]
which one shows the right frame?

yaya

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:35 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
which one shows the right frame?

You can do your own drawing, this is just an illustration

120 film sizes
60.5MP spec

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2009, 07:15:14 am »

I'll let you decide:

Might be more critical with still-life/ architecture framing

Looking forward to seeing new stuff from you, always refreshing!

The AFD viewfinder shows 94% of the image so you may not need mask... some will do the math.

tho_mas

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:35 am »

You can do your own drawing, this is just an illustration
120 film sizes
60.5MP spec
ah, okay... the stated 55.9mm on the long side were wrong. It's 53.9 x 40.4mm.
So it looks like yours... but without the bold blue border still looks closer to FF :-)
[attachment=12111:p56f2.jpg]
In any case no problems with a viewfinder not showing 100% of the (645 FF-) image.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:18:42 am by tho_mas »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:49 am »

Quote from: stewarthemley
Doug P and Steve H, the biggest, quickest turn off for me is to see a rep/employee sniping at the competition. By all means emphasize your products good features but let the customer/prospective customer decide what matters to them. Believe it or not, we can work out what we need. Doug, glad to see your explanation and hope your weeks get better! Steve, I have long respected your approach and offerings to this site so I am surprised to see an edge creeping in. I also hope it was just a bad hair day. For me, Yair and Thierry (sadly no longer a rep for Sinar) were so way above sniping you just have to respect them. Best wishes.

Hi Stewart

I'm sorry, but you will have to show me where you are seeing that I am "sniping at the competition", as you put it. If there was a flavor of "edginess", I regret that it came across that way, as my primary objective is only to show what our products capabilities are. I agree completely that being snipy with competitors does no one any service.

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up