Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung XL20 calibration and Spyder2Pro  (Read 8169 times)

Slough

Samsung XL20 calibration and Spyder2Pro
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:18:14 am »

Does anyone know if the Spyder2Pro calibration tool is up to the task of calibrating a Samsung XL20 wide gamut monitor? The result looks pretty good, and colours are vibrant but not absurd. (A bit more vibrant than on my old Iiyama CRT.) FWIW the monitor is attached to a VGA output (no DVI on my PC).

Slough

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:50:38 pm »

Just in case anyone in the future is in the same boat, the short answer is that the Spyder2Pro does not cut the mustard. I bought an Eye-One Display 2 calibrator and the difference is massive. Correct colours, a much greater contrast ratio, and better gray scales. And it is so easy to use with the Samsung XL20.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »

Quote from: Slough
Just in case anyone in the future is in the same boat, the short answer is that the Spyder2Pro does not cut the mustard. I bought an Eye-One Display 2 calibrator and the difference is massive. Correct colours, a much greater contrast ratio, and better gray scales. And it is so easy to use with the Samsung XL20.
I'm curious about the Samsung XL series. Does it use tri-color LEDs to allow for individual RGB channel adjustments?
~ CB

Slough

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:07:15 pm »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
I'm curious about the Samsung XL series. Does it use tri-color LEDs to allow for individual RGB channel adjustments?

I believe that it does, but I cannot say for sure. I have seen some Samsung marketing documents that show very narrow emission spectra for the R, G and B components, but that might be more marketing spiel than reality. It does have individual adjustment of R,G and B channels, though calibration with NCE will do the adjustments for you.

Here are some details:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/...d=LS20EDXEB/EDC

You might be able to find what you want to know with a Google. I do notice that reds and greens can be more vibrant due to the extended gamut.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »

Does anyone know if the Spyder2Pro calibration tool is up to the task of calibrating a Samsung XL20 wide gamut monitor? The result looks pretty good, and colours are vibrant but not absurd. (A bit more vibrant than on my old Iiyama CRT.) FWIW the monitor is attached to a VGA output (no DVI on my PC).

The DataColor Spyder3 Pro contains the necessary filters to calibrate wide gamut and LED backlit displays.

Jerry
Gerald J Skrocki

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:13:36 am »

Does anyone know if the Spyder2Pro calibration tool is up to the task of calibrating a Samsung XL20 wide gamut monitor?

Very doubtful. It wasn't so hot on non wide gamut displays with CCFL! As Jerry says, the Spyder 3 should be much better.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slough

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:33:58 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Very doubtful. It wasn't so hot on non wide gamut displays with CCFL! As Jerry says, the Spyder 3 should be much better.

The Spyder 2 calibrated display was unable to produce good gray scales. Having now calibrated with the Eye One Display 2, it is all too clear that the Spyder 2 was carp (sic).

jhmaw

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:09 pm »

For what it is worth, I have had a Spyder 2Pro for about eighteen months (using it with an Apple 30" and Dell 19") and wouldn't buy another. I wanted something that would nail down the colour and make it repeatable from one month/year to the next. Not something that introduces it's own style of haphazardness into my life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up