Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiting from sharing photographic ideas  (Read 2257 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Profiting from sharing photographic ideas
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:46 pm »

As those of you who have read some of my previous topics know, I'm a big fan of open ideas, creative commons (as opposed to copyright) and sharing knowledge. I stumbled upon an excellent video on the business and profit of sharing ideas in another thread here. The first four minutes are mostly fluff, but then Jason goes on on a very insightful monologue about being open about what you do and how you do it.

I've seen this quite a bit in photography circles. Michael's LL is an excellent example, so is David Ziser's Digital ProTalk and numerous others. What I'm wondering, though, how suitable is this in the business of photography. As far as I know, Michael and David were successful pro photographers before they started their sites - the sites are an extension of their past experience and expertise, rather than "making" them and their business viable and sustainable.

Also, I'm skeptical on how this applies to the business of selling photos. To take Jason's example, chefs can profit from sharing their ideas because everybody cooks (well, most people do). Photography is a different beast altogether: large portion or even a majority of photographers' clients are non-photographers. In fine art circles I'd imagine most potential clients being largely uninterested in learning how to light a scene. In stock photography and editorial this is most certainly the case - clients don't care what PS trick was used to achieve the color cast if it conveys the message PR or AD is looking for.

So, what do you think? How can photographers reach non-photographic, buying audiences with sharing ideas?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:44:37 pm by feppe »

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:06:22 pm »

Well, from a lifetime of the business and knowing a heap of other photographers through those years, I think it´s professionally a non-starter. The closest I can think of is perhaps Magnum, but how many of those in a bunch? And how many there have come and gone too?

I think that by nature professional photograhers are, and realistically have to be, very close-lipped about everything connected with their PERSONAL business; theoretical discussions are one thing, as are groupings, but sharing client info? I don´t think so.

But a zillion will now prove otherwise. Or not.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:06:51 pm by Rob C »

feppe

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I think that by nature professional photograhers are, and realistically have to be, very close-lipped about everything connected with their PERSONAL business; theoretical discussions are one thing, as are groupings, but sharing client info? I don´t think so.

This has nothing to do with sharing client info.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:31 pm »

Quote from: feppe
This has nothing to do with sharing client info.

Oh, I had not realised that; what are you wanting to share, then?

Rob C

feppe

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Oh, I had not realised that; what are you wanting to share, then?

Rob C

If you read the last two sentences of my first post, it should be clear, given the context and basic reading comprehension.
Pages: [1]   Go Up