Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schloss Heidelberg  (Read 4117 times)

MR.FEESH

• http://
Schloss Heidelberg
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:57:16 pm »

This is the original (unedited) shot from Schloss Heidelberg in Germany.  I'm on the fence as to if I like it, because I'm not sure whether it's interesting.
-- comments?

Thanks for spending the time to help a beginner!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

dalethorn

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:36:53 pm »

What exactly is it?  Is all of that black area (with no detail) needed to make it what it's supposed to be?

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:29:44 pm »

It's the top of a partially blown up wall, I was just focusing on the two windows.
I definitely wanted it to be silhouetted, to emphasize the true blue of the sky that day, and I liked the back lighting from the sun behind the structure.
The wall itself was the most ugly combination of gray and reddish stone, and I purposefully left the picture as is for that reason.
I just have this notion that it's fairly boring...

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

dalethorn

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:49 pm »

Quote from: MR.FEESH
It's the top of a partially blown up wall, I was just focusing on the two windows.
I definitely wanted it to be silhouetted, to emphasize the true blue of the sky that day, and I liked the back lighting from the sun behind the structure.
The wall itself was the most ugly combination of gray and reddish stone, and I purposefully left the picture as is for that reason.
I just have this notion that it's fairly boring...
Elby

The left window reminds me of a CRT screen, with the 4x3 perspective approximately, and the curvature at the top very much like a screen seen at an angle. The one on the right more like a flat-panel.  Then again, if you've seen those $1 3-D glasses they sell for some cinema events, it looks like that too.

But seriously, the splash of clouds at top that look as if they're radiating from a central event - that is interesting.  Even more interesting is the little crop of something that seems to be growing out of the wall, just below the clouds.  But overall, those details are too small to be appreciated without looking hard and squinting.  Maybe some experimenting with different crops would help.

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:59:29 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
The left window reminds me of a CRT screen, with the 4x3 perspective approximately, and the curvature at the top very much like a screen seen at an angle. The one on the right more like a flat-panel.  Then again, if you've seen those $1 3-D glasses they sell for some cinema events, it looks like that too.

But seriously, the splash of clouds at top that look as if they're radiating from a central event - that is interesting.  Even more interesting is the little crop of something that seems to be growing out of the wall, just below the clouds.  But overall, those details are too small to be appreciated without looking hard and squinting.  Maybe some experimenting with different crops would help.

Haha ookay.
And yeah I was thining about maybe taking out the diagonal at in the top left corner.
I'll play around with it.
Thanks for commenting!
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:37:15 pm »

Which is better?

Orig:

Cropped:

Thanks!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

dalethorn

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:52:54 pm »

Sorry to be a party pooper, but the second one now crowds the clouds, which cramps the more interesting part of the photo.  And the clouds and other interesting area I mentioned are still very hard to see, since they're so small compared to the rest of the image. Maybe you could move the "windows" up a bit and crop off the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:54:10 pm by dalethorn »

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:31:11 am »

Sorry to be a party pooper, but the second one now crowds the clouds, which cramps the more interesting part of the photo.  And the clouds and other interesting area I mentioned are still very hard to see, since they're so small compared to the rest of the image. Maybe you could move the "windows" up a bit and crop off the bottom.

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

dalethorn

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:09 am »

Here's a variation I did - it's not as sharp, so it would look better if I had the original. By bringing the top of the wall and the clouds closer, I imagine I can almost see over the wall now.

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:14 pm »

Here's a variation I did - it's not as sharp, so it would look better if I had the original. By bringing the top of the wall and the clouds closer, I imagine I can almost see over the wall now.

Okay I see what you've done.  And you're right, I do like it better.
I'm experimenting with different crop angles in Lr right now 8)
Thanks for stickin with me!!!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

Gambit

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:43:20 pm »

I actually like the black on blue its very stark.. great work

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:20 pm »

Quote from: Gambit
I actually like the black on blue its very stark.. great work

Hey man, thanks a lot!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

popnfresh

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:36:14 pm »

The image is a heavily backlit silhouette against a mostly empty blue sky. In order for an image that lacks any detail in its subject to work it has to be interesting graphically. It would need iconic power and compositional balance. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting any of that here. I find neither the shape of the silhouette, nor the composition very compelling. It needs something else, say, a lone bird in flight flamed by one of the squarish negative spaces in the silhouette. To me it feels like an empty stage set waiting for the actors to show up.

MR.FEESH

Schloss Heidelberg
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:42:03 pm »

Quote from: popnfresh
The image is a heavily backlit silhouette against a mostly empty blue sky. In order for an image that lacks any detail in its subject to work it has to be interesting graphically. It would need iconic power and compositional balance. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting any of that here. I find neither the shape of the silhouette, nor the composition very compelling. It needs something else, say, a lone bird in flight flamed by one of the squarish negative spaces in the silhouette. To me it feels like an empty stage set waiting for the actors to show up.

Okay, that's a very legitimate criticism.  That's sorta the reason I posted the picture here;  I knew it was interesting to me because I was there at the time the photo was taken and it carries meaning to me, I wasn't sure if it was interesting to some one who wasn't there at the time and has a very unbiased opinion of it.  Thank you for piping up!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Pages: [1]   Go Up