Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One News: Several Items; All good  (Read 8485 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One News: Several Items; All good
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:31 pm »

Hey all,

I don't want to spam the board with Phase announcements so I've compressed it all into this thread. I hope it's considered a useful post as there are many active Phase shooters here. If any of you feel this is not an appropriate post please let me know; I want to be a good board member  

P65+ Sensor+ goes to ISO 3200 and 1.4 fps
When the P65+ was announced, and even after the initial release, the stated specs were ISO 50-800 at full resolution and ISO 1600 at 15 megapixels using Phase One's patented Sensor+ Technology. The P65+ Sensor+ enabled backs are now starting to ship, but due to high demand individual users should contact their dealer for delivery times. Already delivered P65+ units (those who chose to take delivery before Sensor+ was available) will be able to update their units starting in late April to Sensor+ and should contact their dealers (doug@captureintegration.com if you are our customer) for instructions.

I'm happy to bring you the news that Phase has shown yet again their strong ability to get the most out of a sensor. The P65+ will be able to shoot at ISO 3200 at 15 megapixels. In addition the max frame rate at 15 megapixels is 1.4 frames per second. Sample images will of course be posted in the next week or two, but I've seen some ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 images and the ISO 1600 is absolutely clean while the 3200, as one would expect from the highest native ISO of a system, is a bit noisy, but still, IMO quite usable.

I know I'm probably drinking the Kool-aid a bit, but I think this is fantastic. A single system which can produce usable ISO 3200 images at 15 megapixels as well as produce the cleanest, highest resolution, highest dynamic range image and can be used on a tech camera is really awesome. Throw in the full-frame zero-viewfinder-crop, the 1 fps (or 1.4fps @ 15mp) speed, and the ability to tether to, and process with Capture One and I think the back-ordered situation speaks for itself.

Phase One L Bracket
You can now buy an Arca-Swiss plate L-Bracket with leather strap from Phase One Dealers directly. This bracket, manufacturer by Really Right Stuff and available exclusively from Phase One dealers allows hand holding using a single hand (by means of the strap) as well as easy horizontal or vertical mounting of your body on an Arca-Swiss compatible tripod head (a normal screw in mount is also available for other tripod heads).

Pictures and a PDF at http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/03/...cket-available/

FW Cables for FW400-less Macs

Phase One has released official Phase One 15' and 30' (5m and 10m) FW400-to-FW800 cables. As a dealer, Capture Integration has taken the initiative of finding and testing our own 15' FW400-to-FW800 cables which we are selling for a little less than 1/4th the price offered by Phase One.  More info on our cables.

Capture One 4.6.3 Release
This minor release should be posted to PhaseOne.com later today. It includes:
-   Improved quality of P 65+ Sensor+ images (including at ISO3200)
-   Improved consistency when reading Caption and
    Copyright IPTC tags
-   Live Preview for 8 Core Mac Pro’s improved
-   Improved support for Canon 5DMKIIs Raw fw1.07 images

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:19:57 pm by dougpetersonci »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:01:47 pm »

Also discussion starting at: GetDPI on this thread.

Snook

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:32 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Also discussion starting at: GetDPI on this thread.

I assume you meant
C-1 Pro 4.6.3 not 4.5.3
Right?
Snook

+ Another great source for 400-800 cables and Pigtails which are a life saver if someone trips over the firewire cables..:+}

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewireproducts.aspx

All my cables are form them and they are the Gold tip cables which work flawlessly...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:06:38 pm by Snook »

arashm

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »

Thank you for the heads up.
wondering
1- when is the Vertical grip coming
2- will there be Tethered support for the D3X anytime soon?

thank you
am

Doug Peterson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I assume you meant
C-1 Pro 4.6.3 not 4.5.3
Right?
Snook

Yikes. Thanks for the correction. Can't change the topic subtitle, but I corrected the entry.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »

Quote from: arashm
wondering

thank you
am

I'll check on the vertical grip for you.

5D II tethering is on the slate for the next release, but I have no info on the D3X.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:37:20 pm »

wondering

thank you
am

Remember that all software promises should be taken with a grain of salt. However the development team believes D3X tethered support will be included in the next release and that will be in the next month or so.

arashm

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »

Thanks Doug!
am

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:18:01 am »

Doug,

I am already using the L bracket, is there a way to just order the strap?  When I purchased the L bracket from RRS,
they didn't have a strap.  

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:51 am »

wondering

thank you
am

Just wanted to update this entry to say that Capture One 4.7 will be released tomorrow and will include both D3X and 5DII tethered support.

Many other improvements as well, but I didn't want this question to be overlooked in that list when it is released tomorrow.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:12 am »

Just wanted to update this entry to say that Capture One 4.7 will be released tomorrow and will include both D3X and 5DII tethered support.

Many other improvements as well, but I didn't want this question to be overlooked in that list when it is released tomorrow.

Thank you for the 5DII support.
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:49 am »

[font="Arial"]Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Doug,

Will 4.7 now tether with Vista, any camera?

thx.

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:17 am »

will know tomorrow. Just got the last beta this morning and releasing in April 2nd
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

tho_mas

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:08:22 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
will know tomorrow.
as to the P45 (and the P30 and P21 as far as I know ... all non "plus") tethered shooting is not going to work. It does not depend on the RAW Processor update - it depends on firmware upgrades for the backs... that are still not there.

edit:
and 32bit Vista only. 64bit is not supported
From the Phase knowledge base (Article ID 1650):
Tethered support is only supported in Vista 32 bit installations - 64 bit currently not supported.
The following backs are supported in 32bit Windows Vista:
P20+, P 21+, P25+, P 30+ and P 45+. LightPhase, H5, H10, H20, H25, P20, P25.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:11:48 am by tho_mas »

AlanG

• http://www.goldsteinphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:06 am »

Since we're on the subject of C1...  Quickproof

What ever happened to the Quickproof feature?  I found this an incredibly fast and easy way to make jpegs for posting.  With 4.6 it took 2 hours to make 700 small jpegs from 5DII files as it had to convert the raw files. The earlier versions made the jpegs from the preview files so it only took a few seconds per image.  I've looked and looked - am I missing something?

I see that I can output web pages fairly quickly. Is there anyway to do this and then grab the jpegs and use them? I don't want to post the complete C1 web pages but need only the jpegs to go to selection galleries in Photoshelter.

All and all I liked the interface and workflow of 3.x much better.  With 4.6 there are way more clicks and things you have to open and close to do what seemed much easier in 3.x  I'm not sure if I yet even understand how to keep several sessions active and easily move from session to session.  The way renaming files worked in the old one was better. (It saved names you used in a drop down folder list so you could pick them if they were needed again. Especially handy was having the ability to edit the names from the list to make a new variation from that name.) Why couldn't the new features simply have been added to that version without changing everything?  

Well maybe in a few months I'll understand it better and be a bit faster with it.  After almost 6 years of using C1 for tethered shooting, it was automatic with me.  Now I have to think about almost everything I do on it.

By the way, thank you Doug at Photo Integration. When I needed a 5DII fast, you guys got me one.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:15:42 am by AlanG »
Alan Goldstein
[url=http://www.Goldstein

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 11:21:52 am »

Look for 4.7 -- sure to be on your supermarket shelves really soon!
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

william

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 11:30:47 am »

Even faster was the separate Preview Converter application that used to be available for download from Phase's site.  It no longer seems to be available.    

Quote from: AlanG

What ever happened to the Quickproof feature?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 11:36:56 am »

Quote from: AlanG

What ever happened to the Quickproof feature?  I found this an incredibly fast and easy way to make jpegs for posting.  With 4.6 it took 2 hours to make 700 small jpegs from 5DII files as it had to convert the raw files. The earlier versions made the jpegs from the preview files so it only took a few seconds per image.  I've looked and looked - am I missing something?

I see that I can output web pages fairly quickly. Is there anyway to do this and then grab the jpegs and use them? I don't want to post the complete C1 web pages but need only the jpegs to go to selection galleries in Photoshelter.

All and all I liked the interface and workflow of 3.x much better.  With 4.6 there are way more clicks and things you have to open and close to do what seemed much easier in 3.x  I'm not sure if I yet even understand how to keep several sessions active and easily move from session to session.  The way renaming files worked in the old one was better. (It saved names you used in a drop down folder list so you could pick them if they were needed again. Especially handy was having the ability to edit the names from the list to make a new variation from that name.) Why couldn't the new features simply have been added to that version without changing everything?  

Well maybe in a few months I'll understand it better and be a bit faster with it.  After almost 6 years of using C1 for tethered shooting, it was automatic with me.  Now I have to think about almost everything I do on it.

By the way, thank you Doug at Photo Integration. When I needed a 5DII fast, you guys got me one.

Sounds like you might benifit from one of our online training seminars.

One of the many tips we give is how to use the Web Contact Sheet function to generate thousands of 1000px wide, sRGB, adjusted, and color accurate JPGs from your images in a matter of minutes (rather than hours with normal processing). In fact there is no huge secret here. When you select to place the "web contact sheet" in a folder just look inside for the folder called "photos" and within that there will be a folder of very small thumbnails and a folder of 1000px wide previews. Just drag that folder of "previews" to where ever you want to use the "bare" JPGs without any web formatting.

I can tell you that most of the photographers who have taken the class have found the workflow in 4 to be overall better than the workflow in 3.  There were, especially in early version of 4.X some very silly omissions which slowed the workflow, and in some cases boggled the mind. Many were corrected in 4.6.X and many others are corrected in 4.7. More on this tomorrow.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

David McCaughan

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:37 am »

Doug,
I'm very excited about the tethered support for the latest Canon cameras. I'm still holding out with 3.7.9, I explored 4 (non-pro demo) when it first came out and have not done so again since. I would seriously like to upgrade at this point, but my main client is a 3.7 user and keeping apples to apples for him is very important. Since I have only one activation on my Pro version is there a way to have both on one machine? Any known conflicts with this setup? I'm using OSx 10.5.6.
Thanks, I'm sure your team is busy today.
Dave

Doug Peterson

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 09:48:34 am »

Quote from: David McCaughan
Doug,
I'm very excited about the tethered support for the latest Canon cameras. I'm still holding out with 3.7.9, I explored 4 (non-pro demo) when it first came out and have not done so again since. I would seriously like to upgrade at this point, but my main client is a 3.7 user and keeping apples to apples for him is very important. Since I have only one activation on my Pro version is there a way to have both on one machine? Any known conflicts with this setup? I'm using OSx 10.5.6.
Thanks, I'm sure your team is busy today.
Dave

Capture One 3.X and Capture One 4.X are, programming wise, completely different programs. They can reside on the same computer just as well as CS4 and C13 could reside on the same computer. I know of no known conflicts or problems other than you should not tether to a camera or digital back with both programs open (they will fight over who gets to control the connection).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up